Autopano Pro converting RAW

Old April 3rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father McKenzie

Default Autopano Pro converting RAW

PixelPix wrote:
On Apr 1, 3:11 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
large.
PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.
And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself, wouldn't
it :-)
MrT.

Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
quicker to put them straight into the pano program. I now see why that
other man said not to cross post.

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

How much raw conversion control does the pano program give you and how
is the output quality compared to something like CapOne?

You don't get much raw conversion, before I made this one I tried
altering the image in DPP then coverting to JPG but both programs
wouldn't line it up.

I was forwarded an image of the same jetty with a ten minute exposure

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llenuts...18752/sizes/o/
Old April 3rd 08, 11:55 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father McKenzie

rodkosmos wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie wrote:
Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
large.
PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...67816/sizes/o/

A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

Hi
When making a PANO in a 3 : 1 ratio use the Golden section rule. The "
third" rule is just not up to it when you compare.
Move the end of the line to the centre and it will get better and more
dramatic

Also get some drama going by increasing the saturation of the sunset
gold. and darken down the top and base of the picture to make some
simple improvements.

I tried not to over saturate it, at the time I took this it was almost
pitch black,

Any noise can be removed by shooting at lower iSO and geting the right
exposure.

It was on iso100 which it the lowest a 400d will go

IT can e a mistake to blame the long exposure.

Burnt out highlights and blocked up shadows are a product of poor
exposure and lack of contrast control. Not "digital"
A very nice iamge

Thank you

Rod
www.da-vinci-vision.com

Old April 3rd 08, 11:58 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father McKenzie

Draco wrote:
On Mar 31, 8:23 pm, Father McKenzie wrote:
Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
large.
PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...67816/sizes/o/

A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

Very nice image. Very satisfying feel to it. Very good use of leading
lines and the horizen is just below center and level. What was the
exposure time and f/stop? Which camera and lens combo you used. I know
you probably have already said, but I didn't see it.

Exposure was 30 seconds, I would have liked to go bulb and around 1
minute but my cable release is playing up. This was f4.

I am using the 400d with the kit 28-50 lens for this shot

The noise is very limited in the screen I see and the dust and or
droplet in the upper left could be cloned out.

I had cloned out another couple but missed this one.

If you can't get back
to the site to reshoot after cleaning the sensor.

I will be heading there next week for a sunrise shot.
From this same location the sun should be just about the end of the jetty

Keep shooting. Very well done.

Thanks

Draco

Old April 4th 08, 12:01 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Father McKenzie

wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:23 am, Father McKenzie wrote:
Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of JPG
large.
PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverm...67816/sizes/o/

A little noisy but it was a long exposure just on dusk.
I think it is time to clean the sensor looking at the top left corner.

--
Father McKenziehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/silvermoon

Nice work - I like the composition - maybe it would have benefited
from a more interesting sky*. I find the foreground a little odd - it
seems to get brighter towards the camera, which hints at flash... (-
surely not! but it might be worth toning down slightly to remove the
perception..)

No no flash in this shot, I had an incident just before this shot where
the camera and flash fell off the tripod as I was moving it and filled
the flash with sand.

* - I can relate to sky issues.. I set myself up for a pano shoot in
Brisbane at lunchtime yesterday - the sky background looked great...
but just as I got ready, a large cloud bank moved into exactly the
wrong place, and I left with nothing useful after waiting over an
hour. sigh, there's always tomorrow, I guess.

Old April 4th 08, 04:57 AM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mr.T

"Father McKenzie" wrote in message
Accidentally took 2 shots meant for this panorama in RAW instead of

JPG
large.
PTGui wouldn't open them but Autopano Pro did it no problems.

And it would be SO hard to convert them from RAW to Jpeg yourself,

wouldn't it :-)

Where did I say I couldn't convert them from Raw to JPG? Just a lot
quicker to put them straight into the pano program.

Yeah, and a lot quicker to just do it than whinge about it too :-)

I don't recall whinging?

What do you call it then, and the purpose of your post was what exactly?
I'd choose a Pano program on it's pano capabilities myself, not on whether
it can convert RAW images. (and most likely with little real control)
But hey, whatever works for you, just don't expect the rest of the world to
necessarily care about your choice too.

MrT.

Old April 21st 08, 05:18 PM posted to aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
pronews

The world of fantastic
photos by Polish photographer Marcin Gorgolewski
http://www.fullexpo.com/indexang.html
You are invited to view Marcin's images of people,
landscapes, air photos, architecture, HDR.
Many of them were taken at night or in bad light
conditions (after sunset, at night) what make them more interesting.
Order your photos now !!!
Uzytkownik "Father McKenzie" napisal w
wiadomosci ...