Sony A100

Old July 1st 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sonny1

Default Sony A100

Hi,I am new to the forum and DSLR's. I had started out with a cyber-shot then
a H1. Now I recently purchased a A100. I would like to gradually increase my
experience with digital photography. I know the A100 is not the best but I
wanted to initiate my experience with it. I have read some threads and know
there are some serious photographers on this forum. I hope to learn from
reading the info shared here.
I have one question. On the A100 should I see whats called the focus frame
within the view finder when I put my eye to the finder. If I am is there a
way to turn it on because I do not see it.

Thanks.

Old July 1st 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Sonny1 wrote:

Hi,I am new to the forum

This is a Usenet newsgroup. Some websites do, however, steal them and
present them as their own browser-based forums.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Old July 1st 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
clandestin_écureuil

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Sonny1 wrote:

Hi,I am new to the forum

This is a Usenet newsgroup. Some websites do, however, steal them and
present them as their own browser-based forums.

Although a newsgroup, it can still be accurately described as a forum. A
forum is where people meet for discussion and that is certainly the case
here. I will often refer to newsgroups dedicated to a specific interest as
a forum.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
Old July 1st 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

clandestin_écureuil wrote:

Blinky the Shark wrote:
Sonny1 wrote:

Hi,I am new to the forum

This is a Usenet newsgroup. Some websites do, however, steal them and
present them as their own browser-based forums.

Although a newsgroup, it can still be accurately described as a forum. A

I understand that. I also understand from his headers that OP is posting
from a web gateway. My reaction was not to him calling it a forum; that
he did was only a clue that he was probably posting from a web gateway,
and that proved to be the case.

forum is where people meet for discussion and that is certainly the case

I understand the term "forum".

here. I will often refer to newsgroups dedicated to a specific interest
as a forum.

This does not conflict with my statement about web forums, or that the OP
was posted from one.

Old July 1st 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gilmoth

Sonny1 ha scritto:
I have one question. On the A100 should I see whats called the focus frame
within the view finder when I put my eye to the finder. If I am is there a
way to turn it on because I do not see it.

The viewfinder should look like this:
http://img.imaging-resource.com/PROD...LCDCALLOUT.GIF

Do you mean your is different? Don't you see the focus frame?

Gilmoth
--
http://gilmoth.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilmoth/
Old July 1st 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Sonny1 wrote:
Hi,I am new to the forum and DSLR's. I had started out with a cyber-shot then
a H1. Now I recently purchased a A100. I would like to gradually increase my
experience with digital photography. I know the A100 is not the best but I
wanted to initiate my experience with it. I have read some threads and know
there are some serious photographers on this forum. I hope to learn from
reading the info shared here.
I have one question. On the A100 should I see whats called the focus frame
within the view finder when I put my eye to the finder. If I am is there a
way to turn it on because I do not see it.

The A100 finder has two layers. Closest to the mirror there is a fresnel
screen with focusing surface - this has some visible markings, but
really just looks plain with a centre spot of even more plain matte and
sort of brackets round it. Above this, with a copper shim separating
them, is a clear plastic sheet which has engraved markings forming lines
and small boxes, some of which only become clearly visible when they are
hit by red light from diodes at the edge of the screen - these are the
active focus point markings.

If you can not see the central square focus mark, and never see any of
the other light up, someone may have removed the indicator screen from
the assembly leaving only the focusing screen. This would not prevent
normal camera operation but could lead to the focus on the screen being
apparently wrong.

David
Old July 2nd 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:51:31 +1000, Fellow forum newsgroupie
clandestin_écureuil wrote:

Although a newsgroup, it can still be accurately described as a forum. A
forum is where people meet for discussion and that is certainly the case
here. I will often refer to newsgroups dedicated to a specific interest as
a forum.

Secret Squirrel

And a Secret Squirrel can sometimes be accurately described as a
mystery meat stew.

--

Ingrid Rose

But an Ingrid Rose can never be accurately described in any other
way, since a Rose is a Rose is a Rose.

Old July 2nd 08, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Francis

What do you mean by "the A100 is not the best" ? It is absolutely equal
if not superior to other makes in the same price range. I have one and a
friend of mine has a professional Nikon equipment. Under normal
circumstances, we find no difference in the pictures. May be there are
some in laboratory tests, but not in practical use. Just stick to your
camera and feel happy. It is the computer behind your eyes which makes
the pictures.

Francis

Old July 2nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sonny1 via PhotoKB.com

Thanks David, When I remove the lens I dont see what you are refering to. I
will contact the sony service dept or the original place of purchase. I've
never tampered with or dropped it myself but obviously I'm missing this.

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Hi,I am new to the forum and DSLR's. I had started out with a cyber-shot then
a H1. Now I recently purchased a A100. I would like to gradually increase my

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Old July 2nd 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sonny1 via PhotoKB.com

Not to offend you or anyone else here, as I stated before I am new to DSLR's
and the A100 was sold to me as a introduction to DSLR cameras. Judging by the
price ranges of the other cameras presented to me,my assesment was this
camera is good but not the best DSLR camera out there.
No harm,No foul..
Thank you.

Sonny1 schrieb:
Hi,I am new to the forum and DSLR's. I had started out with a cyber-shot then
a H1. Now I recently purchased a A100. I would like to gradually increase my

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

Thanks.