View question

Old July 22nd 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default View question

I know that full frame DSLRs have a bigger and better view thru the lens than a
DX type DSLR, but if you put a DX lens on say a D700 and it goes to crop mode,
is the view reduced to that of maybe a D300 or D80?

Just curious...

Old July 22nd 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jake

wrote in message

I know that full frame DSLRs have a bigger and better view thru the lens
than a
DX type DSLR, but if you put a DX lens on say a D700 and it goes to crop
mode,
is the view reduced to that of maybe a D300 or D80?

Just curious...

Going off on a tangent. I am a Canon fan, but I have to admit, that's a
nice body.

I have been hanging on for a long time to see what the 5D replacement would
offer (I thought it was going to be replaced last year), but this Nikon body
has pretty much everything I was looking for in the 5D replacement. 51
point AF, weather sealed, high ISO, decent frame rate, etc. Even has built
in flash for those 'get you out the cr*p' moments.

I think I will still wait to see what Canon launch at Photokina, but Canon
have got their work cut out for them with the bodies Nikon are putting out
recently.

Old July 22nd 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jake

"Jake" wrote in message

I know that full frame DSLRs have a bigger and better view thru the lens
than a
DX type DSLR, but if you put a DX lens on say a D700 and it goes to crop
mode,
is the view reduced to that of maybe a D300 or D80?

Just curious...

Sorry, got side-tracked. In answer to your question, have a look he
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/page4.asp

Old July 22nd 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Me wrote:
Paul Furman wrote:
wrote:
I know that full frame DSLRs have a bigger and better view thru the
lens than a
DX type DSLR, but if you put a DX lens on say a D700 and it goes to
crop mode,
is the view reduced to that of maybe a D300 or D80?

Yep .66x, apparently you can turn off the crop mode because there are
some lenses that work at some zoom levels. The 105mm fisheye is almost
a circular fisheye on FX... good enough to use for 2-shot 360 VR
panorama videos.

Don't know if that answers the OP's question.

The Dx sized crop area is smaller ie:
D300 .94x
D3 .70x (D700 .72x)
So Fx frame view using D3 is more than 10% (linear) larger than D300
view of the Dx frame (and brighter), but view of the cropped area is
significantly smaller.
That's about how it looks through the viewfinders. The D80 Vf seems a
little smaller than D300, but still larger than the dx cropped area of
an Fx camera.

Oh, if that's the question I don't know but assume the camera doesn't
throw up any baffles to crop the view... but may pop up a rectangle in
the viewfinder? I assume you see the vignetting of the smaller lens with
your eye through the viewfinder. The D700 finder is not 100% so you'd
miss a little at the edges.

For some situation where you know you will crop, it would be nice to
have a wider view than what is captured on the sensor but mostly this
compatibility isn't that useful because stuff like wildlife where you'd
crop, you're better off with DX unless it's low light.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old July 22nd 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

"Jake" wrote:

Going off on a tangent. I am a Canon fan, but I have to admit, that's a
nice body.

I have been hanging on for a long time to see what the 5D replacement would
offer (I thought it was going to be replaced last year), but this Nikon body
has pretty much everything I was looking for in the 5D replacement. 51
point AF, weather sealed, high ISO, decent frame rate, etc. Even has built
in flash for those 'get you out the cr*p' moments.

I think I will still wait to see what Canon launch at Photokina, but Canon
have got their work cut out for them with the bodies Nikon are putting out
recently.

Agree 100%. When the D3X is announced, the transformation of Nikon
into the #1 DSLR maker will be complete. Worldwide, Nikon and Canon
DSLR sales are now about equal, with Nikon sales showing very strong
growth over the last two years. In Japan, Nikon now outsells Canon.

Like you, I am wondering what to replace my Canon EOS 5D with. I have
a mixture of Carl Zeiss and Nikon prime lenses (all with EF mount
adapters), several third party primes and zooms in various mounts,
also with adapters, and a couple of Canon EF zooms.

Now, I'm thinking about increasing the number of Nikkors to the point
where I could buy a D700, D3, or (I can dream!) a D3X and not have to
replace too much of my existing glass. All will depend on the 5D
replacement.

Old July 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 04:22:45 +0100, "Jake" wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .

I know that full frame DSLRs have a bigger and better view thru the lens
than a
DX type DSLR, but if you put a DX lens on say a D700 and it goes to crop
mode,
is the view reduced to that of maybe a D300 or D80?

Just curious...

Sorry, got side-tracked. In answer to your question, have a look he
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond700/page4.asp

Wow I didn't know there was a review out already! Thanks!

I originally wanted a D300, but because of my aging eyesight, the lure of a full
frame view is very tempting, but I have a whole bag of DX glass...

If I DO get the FF camera, I'll probably only get one good FF lens for quite a
while...

(I really miss the view from my Minolta and Mamiya Sekor film cameras.)

Then I'll get to ask - " If you could only afford one good lens for your D700,
what would it be?"

I shoot EVERYTHING except sports, so I usually carry a super zoom, either 18-200
or 28-300... but maybe a 50mm prime would do to start.

Thanks

Old July 23rd 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
2SQUID

"Jake" wrote in message

[...]

I can highly recommend the 18 - 200 VR lens. My mother has one on her
D60. I'm not up with Nikon stuff but I presume it is suitable for the
D700 too? It would be a real shame if it wasn't.

Me and Big Squid
Old July 23rd 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

"Jake" wrote in message

[...]

The 18-200 is a DX lens, so it will only work with the D700's 5
megapixel crop mode.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor