6x17 panorama

Old January 24th 05, 03:05 AM
rafe bustin

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:04:04 -0500, rafe bustin
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 02:06:35 +0100, ".::SuperBLUE::."
wrote:

Any old 13 x 18 and a pair of scissors would be a lot cheaper and offer
more possibilities.

I am new to photography, so I would like to ask some dumb questions:

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?
2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?
3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

Unless I'm mistaken, Fuji and Kodak are the lost
folks left making color films in 4x5 size

D'oh. Meant "last folks", of course.

rafe
Old January 24th 05, 03:27 AM
David J. Littleboy

"rafe bustin" wrote:
"David J. wrote:

If you are going to scan, then you can just shoot three images on 6x7 and
merge. I like lower aspect ratios, so two images with a wide angle lens

does
it for me.

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/33533884/large

I see you're getting some mileage out of that picture, David.

Yes. I should get off my duff and do some more panos.

It's a nice mood and composition... but I
wonder about the overall blue cast. The
picture looks a lot more real (and IMO,
no less attractive) with the blue channel
toned down. And that's what you'd get if
you made the concrete wall neutral.

Well, the slides are blue and it was blue.

Do you know offhand the largest length
(single frame) of 120 film that the
LS-8000 will scan? It's tempting to
get a MF back for my ShenHao (4x5)
so that I go back to using the Nikon
to scan that stuff.

The largest frame the Nikon will scan is 56x82 mm.

So you have to scan twice and stitch.

Someone sent me a 6x17 frame to play with, and although I succeeded in
scanning that frame, it was only because that particular frame didn't cause
Newton's rings. With the regular film holder, and with a mask holding the
6x17 frame off the glass, I was unable to get the film flat enough to remain
in critical focus across the whole frame.

In the spirit of sharing, here's a
pano I made from four 645 images.
I had fun printing this 80"x18"
on my Epson.

What do you use to drive the Epson for longer than standard sizes?

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/fog_pano.jpg

Ah, I see you left the power pole. A lot of my countryside shots have lots
of power poles. They don't bother me, since they actually were there. But
some people think they should be photoshopped out...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old January 24th 05, 03:37 AM
Nick Zentena

In rec.photo.equipment.large-format jjs wrote:
You should be sure you want 6x17. 17cm requires 7" or better enlarging
equipment. It could get complicated or expensive quickly. On the other hand,
12cm is common, and wide lenses that cover it are easily found.

The wide angle part might not end up being true. A 75mm Nikon should cover
6x17. To get something similar on 6x12 you'd need something around 58mm.
OTOH a 6x12 back can be had for relatively little.

Nick
Old January 24th 05, 03:15 PM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:27:40 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:

What do you use to drive the Epson for longer than standard sizes?

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/fog_pano.jpg

Nothing special. Epson driver. For the 7000,
the limit is around 80 inches.

Strangely, the driver will let you plug in
much larger values but will then choke.

Somewhere along the way I found a PDF
(from Epson's web site) with official
print-length limits for this printer...
and chose a length just below that.

It's still not optimal -- if I could use
the full printing width available, the
print would be more like 100" long.

But I'm not about to shell out thousands
of $$ for a RIP, not quite yet.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 24th 05, 10:06 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote

Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?

Use a 5x7 (or 8x10 or 4x5) and use the center strip. And after
you are done you still have a perfectly useful camera, unlike
a Linhof 6x17.

If you want hand-held then get a Crown graphic and a 65mm lens and
have someone fit a recessed lensboard.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old January 24th 05, 10:11 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote

1. Color films for large format and where are they developed?

Most professional large format work is in color, any medium/large city
will have a laboratory that does large format color. You can also do
it yourself in a flat bottom tray resting in a much larger tray of hot
water. Look for the Tetenal kits.

2. Would large format confine me to black & white manualy developed photos?

No.

3. Is it better to buy large format camera or 6x17 considering the available
lenses (I like the telephoto)?

There aren't any lenses available for 6x17 cameras except the one that
came with it and maybe one or two others.

For large format there are 1000's of lenses.

Old January 25th 05, 05:34 PM
Bandicoot

wrote:
You should be sure you want 6x17. 17cm requires 7" or better
enlarging equipment. It could get complicated or expensive
quickly. On the other hand, 12cm is common, and wide lenses
that cover it are easily found.

The wide angle part might not end up being true. A 75mm
Nikon should cover 6x17. To get something similar on 6x12
you'd need something around 58mm.

Maybe - but the widest lens I have that will cover 6x12 gives me a wider
horizontal AoV than the widest I have that will cover 6x17.

That's partly a reflection of the lenses I happen to have, but even if I did
have a 75mm that would cover 6x17, it still wouldn't give as wide an AoV as
my 38mm does on 6x12: I don't think it's possible to get as wide an AoV as
that on 6x17.

But then, I make the 38mm pn 6x12 to be the horizontal equivalent of a 12mm
on 135 film, so it's not the sort of perspective one needs very often! (The
75mm you suggest is the equivalent of a 16mm on 135, so it's already fairly
extreme.)

OTOH a 6x12 back can be had for relatively little.

With the emphasis on the word 'relatively', compared to other sized
film-backs!

Peter

Old January 25th 05, 08:25 PM
Bandicoot

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote in message
What is the best way for me to start?
What is the cheapest option?
Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?
Maybe Russian/Chinese?

There's a Chinese made back to take 6x17 on 4x5 cameras - obviously that
requires a 'trick' since 17cm is bigger than 5", so it works by setting the
film plane a bit further back. Definitely not the luxury way to go, but it
looks like a functional approach, if you can live with the necessary
compromises.

I've just got myself one to try out, and posted a short review with my
initial impressions on rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Peter

Old January 27th 05, 11:10 PM
Gordon Moat

".::SuperBLUE::." wrote:

What is the best way for me to start?

In a way, you already started. If you have an interest in panorama
images, and that aspect ratio, then finding the gear would seem to be a
next step. However, I suggest you consider first how you are going to
get the images printed, or scanned, since these are the likely first
options for using these images.

What is the cheapest option?

Large format camera, or home built from two 6x9 folder cameras. A lens
with a focusing mount is expensive, so in some combinations, a large
format camera and roll film back might end up lower cost.

Is Linhof or Fuji 617 unavoidable or is there a cheaper solution?

Fotoman, Patz, and sometimes a few other oddities, some built to order
only.

http://www.fotomancamera.com
http://www.PatzImaging.com/Patz616.html

Maybe Russian/Chinese?

Swing lens cameras, or strange rotating cameras like the Seitz Roundshot
that takes medium format roll film (expensive). Depending upon how good
a craftsman you are, you might be able to make your own.

Other options are the Hasselblad XPan (close to same aspect ration, but
35 mm), a 6x12 (Horseman, VeriWide, Linhof, roll film back on 4x5 large
format camera), or cropped down 6x9 (ALPA, or home built from folder
cameras). Of these, a used XPan is around $1500 with the 45 mm lens,
Horseman slightly higher, some older options maybe in need of repair, an
ALPA at luxury pricing, or cropping 6x9. The advantage by cropping 6x9
is that the film has slightly better ability to stay flat than with a
6x17 camera, so that enlargements and scans could easily be just as
sharp, if not better in some situations. Also, a smaller than 6x17
camera could be easier to carry around.

If you get a chance to look at a Linhof or Fuji 6x17, you might be
shocked at how crude the construction is, though the lens and focus
mount are well made. I don't think you need either of those to get a
good lens, and large format lens choices would get you there. Going
smaller with similar aspect ratio might even be easier, though an XPan
is limited in lens choice, and home built could provide similar
restrictions. Anyway, let us know what you finally decide to get.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old January 28th 05, 06:31 PM
Bandicoot

"Gordon Moat" wrote in message
[SNIP]
Going smaller with similar aspect ratio might even be
easier, though an XPan is limited in lens choice, and home
built could provide similar restrictions. Anyway, let us know
what you finally decide to get.

Still waiting for someone to come up with a P6 to X-Pan adapter...

Peter