multi coated CP filters worth the $$$?

Old March 13th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
munky

Default multi coated CP filters worth the $$$?

is it really worth paying $250(AUD) odd dollars for a multi coated circular
polariser (like the hoya pro 1) . That's over 30% of the value of the lens
it would be going on...

I want to use it on a sigma 10-20 (77mm) but I'm hoping to be able to also
use it on a sigma 17-70 (72mm) via a step down without vignetting...

Just seems like a lot of $$$...

Old March 13th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Step-up ring. They're described by the lens to filter size. So I was
told when I open this subject a few weeks ago :-)

Look back for that thread.
http://groups.google.com.au/group/re...510ced 0d6f21

--
Joan

:

Old March 13th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

"munky" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
is it really worth paying $250(AUD) odd dollars for a multi coated
circular
polariser (like the hoya pro 1) . That's over 30% of the value of the lens
it would be going on...

I want to use it on a sigma 10-20 (77mm) but I'm hoping to be able to also
use it on a sigma 17-70 (72mm) via a step down without vignetting...

Just seems like a lot of $$$...

It is probably not worth that amount of $$$, ought to be available at better
prices, here in Germany Schneider - Kreuznach (also multi-coated) circular
polarizers are available for around half what you state (including 18% VAT
sales tax), ordinary retail. Check ebay

Old March 13th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

Just checked eBay Australia myself and found a B+W (Schneider Kreuznach) 77
mm slim circular polarizer offerd at AUD 91,46 (buy it now price).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SLIM-B-W-77mm...QQcmdZViewItem

Old March 13th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
munky[_2_]

"Joan" wrote in message
Step-up ring. They're described by the lens to filter size. So I was
told when I open this subject a few weeks ago :-)

thanks Joan...they edjamacated me to the step up rather than step down at
the shop today too

It sounds like as long as the CP itself doesn't vignette then the step up to
a filter 5mm bigger then the lens won't be an issue either....

Just ordered a 77mm Hoya Super HMC CP for $130AUD delivered (from a HK ebay
seller) which didn't hurt quite as much as $250

Tony

Old March 13th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
munky[_2_]

"cgiorgio" wrote in message
Just checked eBay Australia myself and found a B+W (Schneider Kreuznach)
77 mm slim circular polarizer offerd at AUD 91,46 (buy it now price).

thanks very much for going to the trouble to look for me...the cheap filters
on Ebay are out of Hong Kong.

I ordered a hoya super hmc for $130aud tonight...I looked at the B&W but
don't think it was multi coated...at least I couldn't see any mention of
that so decided to pay the slight extra for the hoya that is.

I just hope it gets here in time to take to Tasmania on the 28th. If not it
will get a run out in New Zealand in August

thanks again
Tony

Old March 13th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

I paid the Aussie shop price for my Hoya 72mm, so I bought 67-72 step
up ring today.

I won't be able to try it until the weekend.

--
Joan

"munky" wrote in message
: