multiple cards or 1 biggie ?

Old January 9th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default multiple cards or 1 biggie ?

adam bootle wrote:
Hi all,

Just wondering what the groups opinons are on the safety of large amounts of CF memory. I'm about to purchase 2GB of CF memory and was wondering if I should buy a 2GB card.

I'm not really sure how I feel about putting all my eggs in the one basket so to speak, do others feel that way or are you happy with the reliability of Compact Flash cards ?

They are very reliable. Some cameras cannot use cards larger than 2GB,
but up to 2GB it does not make much difference.

It is true that a card can go bad, but usually what happens is it is
one sector or so and you lose a single picture. It would take a real
disaster to cause a whole card to go bad.

Old January 9th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"zeitgeist" wrote in message

I prefer 512 cards because I can put it in my laptop and copy the whole
thing to a folder, then immediately copy that whole folder to a CD without
having to click click click so many files, burn a CD, then click click all
the other files. When I get a DVD burner I may consider much larger

cards.

Having said that, I found it easier to flick them all onto my PC - delete
the obvious "lame ducks" after an initial sort with Bridge - and am usually
left with something that fits on a CD - especially after I've converted the
*.CR2s to *.DNGs. And on the other hand, changing cards in the field is a
pain.

Old January 9th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Darrell Larose" wrote in message
.. .
Two things to consider;

Eggs in basket theory

Murphy was an optimist...

I think you need to balance that against the likelyhood of a card failing
and how critical the images are. Bit like a single-engine aircraft: In
theory all your eggs are in the one basket and Murphy is an optimist - and
yet 97% of the time it's the pilot doing something stupid that gets everyone
killed, not the "single engine".

My suggestion to the OP is to have multiple cards - but don't buy anything
less than 2GB - start with 1 card, and build up to 2 or more from there.

Old January 9th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Thanks for all the replies everybody, much appreciated.

I have decided to get a 1GB Sandisk card for now, I already have a 512 and
when I upgrade to more larger cards I'll let my girlfriend use the 512 my
old Casio QV3500EX.

I'm still happy to stick with the standard speed (for now) as the 512 seems
to download alot faster now I have a Sandisk CF reader, as opposed to the
crappy cheap ones I have used before.

Again, many thanks..........Adam

--
"I got the farts again Charlie !"
John Young, while in the confined space of the lunar module with Charlie

http://adboo.com