iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

*you* mentioned performance, which has absolutely nothing to do with
the discussion.

Of course performance is integral to a discussion about battery drain
apps on a phone.

performance has nothing to do with battery drain. nothing at all.

So a flat battery doesn't affect performance?

no more than the on/off button does.

you're *really* grasping for straws.

I don't think so. Most camera reviews include a reference to battery
life. When trying to choose between cameras battery life is not an
aspect of performance which can be ignored. Nor should it be now.

battery life is certainly a factor to consider, but it has nothing
whatsoever to do with performance.

While it's not the first thing which comes to their mind, most people
regard it as part of performance.

nope. they regard it as battery life.

the performance stays the same.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

nope. battery life has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with
performance. zero. zip. nada.

Therefore the settings on my laptop must exist solely to keep the user
busy. The adjustments make it clear that faster performance decreases
the time between charges. I guess that's only a Windows thing.

Usually, when I use my laptop, I keep it plugged in. When using it on
battery-only, I haven't noticed any slow-down caused by low battery.
It's either go or no-go.

I expect you will notice a very considerable slow down when your
device has a very low battery.

your expectations are not reality.

The only stuff in this house relying on batteries are iPhones and
iPads (two of each). I can assure you they slow down to almost a dead
stop when their batteries get very low. The reason I say 'they slow
down to almost a dead stop' is that they retain sufficient life in one
way or another to tell you why they are no longer doing anything for
you.

until that point, there is no change in performance.

obviously a dead battery isn't going to do much.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

No, you are. Battery life is part of performance.

Not for most it isn't

Can you tell me how your camera performance changes depending on battery
charge ?

I don't expect it to change

exactly the point!

but I do want to know how many shots I can
get from it.

that's battery run time, not performance. don't confuse the two.

It's like you buying a car: even if you are not interested in mpg you
are interested in knowing how far you can go before filling the tank.

that's range, not performance. don't confuse the two.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I thought it was a valid question from someone who knew nothing about
thr function. Your answer was merely a longer version of your usual
'no' and did nothing to satisfy Tony's intelligent curiosity.

he didn't ask a question. he said it seemed like it would, i said it
wouldn't and then asked why he would think that.

He wrote "Seems like it would run down the battery if one wasn't
careful to turn off Live Photos when not expecting to use it." which I
took as rhetorical question itching for an explanation.

i took it as a person who made an incorrect assumption due to lack of
knowledge about the topic, something said person does with shocking
regularity.

And you could easily have told him what the actual situation was.

i did, at which point he went into attack mode, believing that a few
microseconds of additional write time is *so* important that it must be
declared to all users and something that is measurable.

it isn't and its not.

he has yet to explain *how* that can be measured, because he knows it's
not possible and that he's arguing just to argue.

i've asked both you and him to quantify how much additional power is
used when posting to usenet. so far, no answer, as expected.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

battery life is certainly a factor to consider, but it has nothing
whatsoever to do with performance.

Yet another unsupportable statement.

wrong.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

| A person's requirements make the difference. A car that is fun to drive
| but not very practical can still be a purchase choice depending on a
| person's wants/needs. Where I am moving to, I met a person who has an
| Alfa Romeo 4C.

I've always thought that was a good analogy
for Macs. Windows is a sensible sedan. Linux
is a car kit. Mac is a sports car with the hood
welded shut. Expensive, limited, hard to
customize, but well made and fun.

the last two are correct. the rest are absolutely wrong. it's easy to
customize a mac, in ways you can't even begin to understand.

Certainly, with that level of explanation. :-(

you're basically asking to explain the entire architecture of mac os in
a single post.

back in the day, it was possible to patch anything and everything in
mac os. many developers did exactly that and sold (or gave away) all
sorts of products to do all sorts of things. some were very useful
while others were rather pointless, done for fun or to learn. some of
the more useful ones were eventually added to mac os itself (known as
sherlocked).

these days, that level of customization is not possible due to the huge
security implications it presents. the bad guys would *love* to capture
every keystroke, for example. nevertheless, there's still a lot that
can be done.
Old June 9th 17, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

What am I missing? I don't follow Apple news, but the above indicates
that the camera function activates before the user of the device knows
he's going to take a photo.

Lotta bull**** in this thread. Here's the way it really works. The
iPhone's "Live Photos" feature (that's Apple's name for it) activates
when the user turns that feature on. It is presumed that the user plans
to make a Live Photo in the immediate future. After making the photo
the user turns the feature off. The camera is not recording
continuously, and Live Photo has no visible effect on iPhone battery
life. Very simple, just works, no drama, typical Apple.

actually, it's on by default.
Old June 9th 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| the last two are correct. the rest are absolutely wrong. it's easy to
| customize a mac, in ways you can't even begin to understand.
|
| Certainly, with that level of explanation. :-(

I think he means that if you jackhammer the
epoxy resin out of your Mac laptop you can
replace the RAM... maybe... but void the warranty...
and of course you'll need custom made tools
to get in there....

Old June 9th 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"PAS" wrote

| FWIW, I'm a Windows user and don't customize much so I don't
| see if I had to or wanted to switch to a Mac would be a problem for me
| except for the fact that I build my own desktops.

That's what I meant. I don't mean things like
picking folder colors. I meant that a Mac is
generally far more locked down than Windows,
in terms of hardware. Some of their laptops
are virtually encased in resin. Apple go out
of their way to prevent upgrading customizing.

| On the other hand,
| you can Windows on a Mac so it can be just as
| customized like any
| Windows system.

Did you mean to say you can put Windows
on a Mac? Yes. If you want to buy a Mac, and
also buy a Windows disk, then go through all
that trouble. It's a lot cheaper to put Windows
on a PC.

Old June 9th 17, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| the last two are correct. the rest are absolutely wrong. it's easy to
| customize a mac, in ways you can't even begin to understand.
|
| Certainly, with that level of explanation. :-(

I think he means that if you jackhammer the
epoxy resin out of your Mac laptop you can
replace the RAM... maybe... but void the warranty...
and of course you'll need custom made tools
to get in there....

you think wrong.