flash for a canon 20 d ?

Old May 19th 05, 09:16 AM
Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

Default flash for a canon 20 d ?

hi
i wanted to know which is the best flash gun available for the canon 20 d
... as i am gonna be shooting a lot of door shots post sunset.
thanks

Old May 19th 05, 09:18 AM
Abheet Gidwani via PhotoKB.com

hi
i wanted to know which is the best flash gun available for the canon 20 d
... as i am gonna be shooting a lot of out door shots post sunset.
thanks

Old May 19th 05, 04:58 PM
Todd H.

Gisle Hannemyr writes:

[holy crap!]

Gisle, kudos on a tremendously authoritative post.

Old May 24th 05, 06:32 AM

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
Canon's E-TTL system is really designed for fill flash, and some

think
that it gives less than consistent results when used as the main

light
source. The same people argue that for main flash, auto will give

you
better results.

Auto flash uses overall average exposure metering. It is predictable
and can be compensated with experience in difficult situations.

E-TTL tries to get best exposure for every situation. But it is still
far from that goal. To handle difficult situations, E-TTL messed up
easy situations. It is less predictable and less easy to underdtand why
it metered some scene wrong.

Overall I need to adjust flash compensation more often with E-TTL than
with auto flash.

I would not recommend a unit with less power than the Canon 420EX
(GN 105ft/32m) or a Vivitar 283 (GN 120ft/37m)

On paper, Vivitar 283 is even more powerful than Canon 580EX, at 35mm
focal coverage, with GN 120ft vs 119ft.

9. Metz 54 AF-1C (40) Z Rev. eng. E-TTL. Auto.
10. Metz 54 MZ + SCA-3102 (40) Z Rev. eng. E-TTL. Auto.

I thought only Metz MZ has auto mode. Metz AF only has E-TTL.

Auto flashes fill take care of metering themselves, and if set up
correctly, they will be just as reliable as E-TTL in giving the right
output for correct exposure. You just set up the camera in manual
mode, select sync. speed and aperture, set the aperture you use on

the
flash's exposure meter, and let the flashgun control the exposure.

With better auto flash, e.g., Metz 54 MZ, the flash gets the aperture
from the camera automatically, so you do not have to set anything. This
auto flash is as easy to use as E-TTL.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#flash

Old May 24th 05, 08:34 PM
lisa.ireland

Wow! I've been looking for the same information about a flash set-up
for my 20D. I'm interested in a flash for wedding photography mostly. I
have been thinking about the Metz 54 and the Quantum. I'd like to use
one of those to synch with a Vivitar 283/285 possibly. I'm thinking
about flash work without a lot of ambient light.
Does anyone have experience using either the Metz or Quantum and an
off-camera slave? Pros and cons?
Do you use the flash on the hotshoe with a diffuser or do you use a
bracket?
Thanks for your help!

Old May 25th 05, 05:49 AM
Skip M

"lisa.ireland" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wow! I've been looking for the same information about a flash set-up
for my 20D. I'm interested in a flash for wedding photography mostly. I
have been thinking about the Metz 54 and the Quantum. I'd like to use
one of those to synch with a Vivitar 283/285 possibly. I'm thinking
about flash work without a lot of ambient light.
Does anyone have experience using either the Metz or Quantum and an
off-camera slave? Pros and cons?
Do you use the flash on the hotshoe with a diffuser or do you use a
bracket?
Thanks for your help!

Haven't used the Quantum and a slave flash, but, if I may, I'll put in my 2
cents worth. We've had great results with the Quantum T4d and our 20Ds, on
Stroboframe Pro-T brackets. I don't know that the Quantum will mount on the
hot shoe, I'm not aware of any adaptor that will allow that.
That being said, I'm looking at getting a Metz 54 AF-1 for those times that
the Quantum is just too much bulk.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com