150x SD card vs class 6 SDHC SD card - speed comparison.

Old May 27th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.pocketpc,alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default 150x SD card vs class 6 SDHC SD card - speed comparison.

On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:12:36 -0700 (PDT), zalek
wrote:

On my PocketPC PDA I was using Transcend 150x 4gb SD card. Recently I
replaced it by Transcend class 6 SDHC 8 gb card. My impression is that
my old 150x card is faster that the new class 6 SDHC card. Is there
any way to verify if my impression is true?

150X card is rated for 22MB/s max read speed.
Class 6 SDHC card is rated for minimum 6MB/s _write_ speed.

The ratings between these two are apples and oranges, but in
general you will not find a fast 8GB SD card that is
inexpensive because to get 8GB capacity at low cost they're
using MLC flash chips which are inherantly slower (versus
SLC at any point/production in time).

Beyond this, the two cards might (if the 4GB is SD not SDHC)
use different addressing methods - your PDA may not have
equal performance with both even _IF_ they happened to
arbitrarily have the exact same performance in a card reader
connected to a PC for a speed test. The Transcend 4GB is
among the fastest cards available at a reasonable price, so
it's no surprise another would be same or slower, BTW.

For such a speed test a prior poster linked to the Flash
Memory Toolkit, in some circles it is a popular windows
application to use. Other alternatives might include Sisoft
Sandra, Atto (
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/123/mirrors.php ), or
many other disk benchmark programs.