Why new cameras does not have optical viewfinders?

Old January 30th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
zalek

Default Why new cameras does not have optical viewfinders?

I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

Zalek
Old January 30th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article
,
zalek wrote:

I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

People are stupid and want to hold their cameras at arm's length while
looking at a little TV on the back. Yup, it's a sad day.

And a lot of them I see are thin, little credit card things. I have no
idea how a person could get a steady picture with something like that.
Old January 30th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

zalek wrote:
I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

Often discussed in very heated arguments. The two fractions are firmly
entrenched.

I am with you, a camera without an optical viewfinder is useless _TO_ME_.
Other people obviously couldn't care less and wouldn't use an optical
viewfinder even if you put a gun to their heads.

jue
Old January 30th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:16:19 -0800, zalek wrote:

I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

Zalek

The demarcation is not optical viewfinder vs back of camera LCD - it is
optical viewfinder vs electronic viewfinder. I happen to use a long zoom
EVF camera (Kodak P850) and find it quite usable in all conditions - I've
recently done a rather extensive shoot on a bright sunny day with full
snow cover.
Old January 30th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

zalek wrote:
I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

Zalek

All DSLRs include an optical finder. G
No movie mode - yet.
A good value example is the Nikon D40:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/

David

Old January 30th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

zalek wrote:
I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

Zalek

Market pressures, plain and simple.
People like large LCD displays, even those of us who prefer to use an
optical viewfinder.
Most people who use digital cameras for snapshots DON'T use the optical
viewfinder. It takes up space on a small camera, and costs money to
include, so eliminating it in favor of a large LCD seems to be a
reasonable marketing strategy. It appears that a P&S camera under $250
with an optical viewfinder is pretty much a thing of the past.
Old January 30th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bucky3

On Jan 30, 1:02 am, Ron Hunter wrote:
Market pressures, plain and simple.
Most people who use digital cameras for snapshots DON'T use the optical
viewfinder. It takes up space on a small camera, and costs money to
include

Exactly. The other replies didn't really answer the question, just
gave their own biases/preferences.
Old January 30th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Mr. Strat wrote:
In article
,
zalek wrote:

I am looking a new camera to replace my Canon SD550 - most compact
cameras does not have optical viewfinders. To use LCD on a beach - is
very difficult.

People are stupid and want to hold their cameras at arm's length while
looking at a little TV on the back. Yup, it's a sad day.

That's not stupidity, it's having eyes too old to see anything closer
than arm's length. If you want to see all the detail in an LCD display
you have to view it from a few inches away.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[