A3 Colour Printers

Old June 30th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Marshall

Default A3 Colour Printers

Hi All

Does anyone have any suggestions about A3 photographic printers?
Having gone digital a few months ago with a Nikon D80 I'm looking for
a suitable printer to go with it. Since I used to print B&W at 10"x8"
and larger I reckon an A4 would be too small and would probably need
upgraded fairly quickly so an A3 seems the way to go.

The models I've looked at initially are the Epson 1400 and the HP 8350
which both seem to be around £299. Any comments or other suggestions
gratefully received.

cheers

Old June 30th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toni Nikkanen

Bill Marshall writes:

Hi All
Does anyone have any suggestions about A3 photographic printers?
Having gone digital a few months ago with a Nikon D80 I'm looking for
a suitable printer to go with it. Since I used to print B&W at 10"x8"
and larger I reckon an A4 would be too small and would probably need
upgraded fairly quickly so an A3 seems the way to go.

Well, the last time I contemplated buying my own printer I remember
looking at a lot of options, of which the hp B9180 was the most
interesting one. I eventually decided to delay the purchase once
again, but maybe you should check that one out.
Old June 30th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Bill Marshall wrote

Does anyone have any suggestions about A3 photographic printers?

I have the Canon PIXMA Pro9000 and it's worth every penny. If
you're serious about B&W then you might consider the Pro9500,
which is designed specifically with this in mind.

Chris

Old June 30th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"Bill Marshall" wrote in message
Hi All

Does anyone have any suggestions about A3 photographic printers?
Having gone digital a few months ago with a Nikon D80 I'm looking for
a suitable printer to go with it. Since I used to print B&W at 10"x8"
and larger I reckon an A4 would be too small and would probably need
upgraded fairly quickly so an A3 seems the way to go.

If you want exhibiton quality prints you will probably have to look at the
newer 2 or 3 black ink printers - none of which I've used.

But; if you want to print B&W cheaply and with very good results look for a
nearly new Epson 1290/1290s. I use mine with non-Epson ink and get good
colour results and very good mono results. I set it heavy matt paper and
black ink only on 1440 dpi for my mono prints, they are often favourably
received in local competitions.

Also (if you are in Europe) - get your paper on eBay, I use the seller
buddentown, his semi gloss is very good and very similar to Permajet oyster
paper.

John

Old July 2nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Marshall

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll certainly investigate these other
printers before making a decision.

cheer

Bill Marshall
Old August 7th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toni Nikkanen

Toni Nikkanen writes:

Well, the last time I contemplated buying my own printer I remember
looking at a lot of options, of which the hp B9180 was the most
interesting one. I eventually decided to delay the purchase once
again, but maybe you should check that one out.

By the way, if hp ever makes a smaller A4 version that costs
significantly less but produces equivalent results, I might be unable
to resist buying it.