Epson P-2000/P-5000 head-to-head test results:

Old October 30th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Default Epson P-2000/P-5000 head-to-head test results:

At the request of Roger Clark, I just did some time tests with the new
P-5000 unit and my P-2000 unit.
The results are impressive:

2GB SanDisk Extreme III CF (completely filled with RAW+Large JPEGs from
Canon 5D)
-Full copy to each device:

P-2000 time: 12:49
P-5000 time: 4:35 (!!) -A second copy test rendered the EXACT same time

4GB SanDisk Extreme III CF (completely filled with RAW+Large JPEGs from
Canon 5D)
-Full copy to each device:

P-2000 time: 26:34
P-5000 time: 9:27

*These numbers actually EXCEED the claims by Epson (of 250% copy-speed
increase).
This speed means not only less time, but also more battery life.

Now view image viewing times:
Scrolling and view times are even more impressive:

Rendering the standard screen of 12 thumbnails:

P-2000: 10.5 seconds
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (approximate)

Rendering 64 small thumbnails:

P-2000: N/A
P-2000: 3.2 seconds (and you do NOT have to wait for the screen to
populate...you can keep scrolling quickly to subsequent pages.

*Note: The 64-Thumbnail view is surisingly useful due the amazing
high-definition 4" screen running a full 24bit color scheme.

Rendering full-screen individual images:

RAW files (Canon 5D, 12.8MP files):

P-2000: 8 seconds (painful)
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (!!)

Rendering full-screen JPEG images were the same as above.

*Epson claimed a 500% improvement in rendering speed, but again...they've
EXCEEDED their promise in my tests.

*********************
The bottom line:
After viewing with the new model, you'll be at pains to ever want to browse
with the old one.
It's simply a TOTALLY different experience.

That alone may be reason enough for many to upgrade, but the looong list of
other improvements are extremely significant as well. The timing figures
speak for themselves. No ocmparison. Battery issues...customization...and
on and on.

If anyone was on the fence, take my word for it: You won't be disappointed.

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 30th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Rendering full-screen individual images:

RAW files (Canon 5D, 12.8MP files):

P-2000: 8 seconds (painful)
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (!!)

??? I don't understand what you are doing here. On my P2000, displaying an
image full screen takes minimal time (about 1 second). ???

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old October 30th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Rendering full-screen individual images:

RAW files (Canon 5D, 12.8MP files):

P-2000: 8 seconds (painful)
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (!!)

??? I don't understand what you are doing here. On my P2000,
displaying an image full screen takes minimal time (about 1 second).
???

If you're getting 5D images to render that quickly, then it is almost
assuredly due to having already viewed them once previously. RE-viewing
images (after the initial rendering view) will be decent on the 2000/4000,
but that's hardly a help when you want to quickly view newly-shot images in
the field.. I'm clicking on a newly-created thumbnail of a full-quality 5D
jpeg or RAW image for the *first* time.

My numbers are accurate, and very closely reflect the numbers claimed by
Epson (actually better than Epson's claims).

-Mark

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 30th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
David J. Littleboy wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Rendering full-screen individual images:

RAW files (Canon 5D, 12.8MP files):

P-2000: 8 seconds (painful)
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (!!)

??? I don't understand what you are doing here. On my P2000,
displaying an image full screen takes minimal time (about 1 second).
???

If you're getting 5D images to render that quickly, then it is almost
assuredly due to having already viewed them once previously.

I'm interested to know what Epson claimed for this operation on P-2000. I
doubt you will find "8 seconds" anywhere on their literature and I would be
****ed if I had bought one.

Thanks for your work on this.

Old October 30th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ernie clyma

While I still have not tried the P-5000 yet, I have run across a Wolverine
ESP 100GB at Costco.com
Are any of you familiar with this viewer/storage device??

Old October 30th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote:

Rendering full-screen individual images:

RAW files (Canon 5D, 12.8MP files):

P-2000: 8 seconds (painful)
P-5000: 1.2 seconds (!!)

??? I don't understand what you are doing here. On my P2000,
displaying an image full screen takes minimal time (about 1 second).
???

If you're getting 5D images to render that quickly, then it is almost
assuredly due to having already viewed them once previously.

I'm interested to know what Epson claimed for this operation on
P-2000. I doubt you will find "8 seconds" anywhere on their
literature and I would be ****ed if I had bought one.

Thanks for your work on this.

According to dpreview.com's review data, a 7MP image-to-image display time
was 3.2 seconds.
When you nearly double that to my 12.8MP 5D images, (adding the possibility
of the resulting decrease in operating memory "head-room" left for system
operations when the image itself eats memory)...it isn't too hard to believe
a time of 6-8 seconds for shot-to-shot views based on dpreview's times. My
P-2000 *could* be a bit slower due to many cycles of use due to Epson's lack
of defragmentation functions...but my numbers are too far off of the
extrapolated guess for a 12.8MP image compared with their tested 7MP image
sample.

See he
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/page5.asp

As they note...once images have been cached, the view-time is much faster.
But again, this is of little assistance when your purpose is making an
initial assessment in the field.

On the same chart, their card-copy time for a 1GB Sandisk CF card (Ultra II)
is 469 seconds (7 minutes 49 seconds). My P-2000 times for **2GB was
12:49...which is a bit better over-all, but my card was Ultra III.

-MarkČ
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 30th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

ernie clyma wrote:
While I still have not tried the P-5000 yet, I have run across a
Wolverine ESP 100GB at Costco.com
Are any of you familiar with this viewer/storage device??

See Bill Hilton's comments within my other thread, "Epson P-5000 a winner!"
on this forum.
He's happily used one in addition to his P-4000 (which is the P-2000, but
with 80GB instead of 40).

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 30th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
[...]

Can you verify that it's a cache issue on your device?

See my other post about dpreview's numbers regarding pre-cached
image-to-image viewing.
Here's a link:

Old October 30th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
MarkČ wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
[...]

Also notice that my times for thumbnail page creation are right on par with
dpreview's cited number (They cite 11 seconds for initial render...mine was
10.5 seconds)

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old October 30th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

MarkČ wrote:
David J. Littleboy wrote:
[...]

I just snapped off five shots, dowloaded them to the P-2000, and went
through them one at a time. The first time through, each image displayed in
under 2 seconds, the second time a bit faster. So there does seem to be a
cache phenomenon. And who knows how long it would take per image if there
were 150 images in the directory.

My P-2000 was purchased in Japan, and may be different from overseas models.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan