Playing .MOV files on iPad

Old September 18th 11, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.mobile.ipad
Shawn Hirn

Default Playing .MOV files on iPad

In article ,
George Kerby wrote:

On 9/17/11 4:20 PM, in article ,
"nospam" wrote:

In article , George Kerby
wrote:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a
first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

.mov is just a container, which could be anything. the ipad only plays

h.264 and mpeg, so unless the .mov file uses either of those (which it
does not appear to), you will have to convert it.

the easiest way to do that is with handbrake. pick the apple universal
profile.

If I have to convert it, then I have to take along a MacBook Pro to run the
handbrake software anyway, since I haven't found any converter for the iPad
OS. So it's a moot point since I'm trying to reduce bulk. But thanks for the
information anyway!

Try posting your question on Apple's iPad community forum. You can get
to it via http://www.apple.com and than click on the "support" tab.
Old September 18th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/18/11 2:47 AM, in article
2011091800470516807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2011-09-17 23:48:24 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a
recommendation for playing .MOV video files (with audio included) on a first
generation iPad? They import OK into the photo folder but I cannot figure
how to make them play. Thanks in advance for all constructive advice!

You could try the VLC Media Player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

although it seems to have been withdrawn from the App Store.

David

Yup!
That should work for George.

Thanks guys, but I am trying to avoid any file conversions using OS-X. If I
have to lug my PowerBook along on the shoot, it can be viewed via QuickTime
without any conversions. What I am trying to do is view what we shoot on
just the iPad which has a totally different operating system, (iOS4.x). Like
I said, I am trying to find something similar to QuickTime for 1Pad.

Old September 18th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Thanks guys, but I am trying to avoid any file conversions using OS-X.
If I
have to lug my PowerBook along on the shoot, it can be viewed via
QuickTime
without any conversions. What I am trying to do is view what we shoot on
just the iPad which has a totally different operating system, (iOS4.x).
Like
I said, I am trying to find something similar to QuickTime for 1Pad.

If you can post the URL of a /short/ clip in the format you need, I could
download and test on my iPad. The iPad views movies from my Nikon D5000
directly, including sound.

David

Old September 18th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/18/11 8:50 AM, in article , "David J Taylor"
wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Thanks guys, but I am trying to avoid any file conversions using OS-X.
If I
have to lug my PowerBook along on the shoot, it can be viewed via
QuickTime
without any conversions. What I am trying to do is view what we shoot on
just the iPad which has a totally different operating system, (iOS4.x).
Like
I said, I am trying to find something similar to QuickTime for 1Pad.

If you can post the URL of a /short/ clip in the format you need, I could
download and test on my iPad. The iPad views movies from my Nikon D5000
directly, including sound.

David

Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to the
iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

Old September 18th 11, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to
the
iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

You can connect your SD card with the Camera Connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

Import is automatic on connection, and you can choose to skip files you
have already imported, and whether to delete the files from the SD card
once the import is complete. Can't help with the older CF format, though.
Perhaps you can get an adapter?

Cheers,
David

Old September 18th 11, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-18 09:20:04 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to the
iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

You can connect your SD card with the Camera Connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

Import is automatic on connection, and you can choose to skip files you
have already imported, and whether to delete the files from the SD card
once the import is complete. Can't help with the older CF format,
though. Perhaps you can get an adapter?

Cheers,
David

Here you go!

http://store.micgadget.com/card-read...ction-kit.html

Savageduck

Old September 18th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/18/11 11:20 AM, in article , "David J Taylor"
wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to
the
iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

You can connect your SD card with the Camera Connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

Import is automatic on connection, and you can choose to skip files you
have already imported, and whether to delete the files from the SD card
once the import is complete. Can't help with the older CF format, though.
Perhaps you can get an adapter?

Cheers,
David

I have an adapter that allows the CF card to be directly connected to the
iPad much like Apple's SD card kit. And it does the same thing: Automatic
connection, choosing and import into the Photos application "folder" where
it shows up with all the real photo files. Whereas the real photos can be
opened by selecting by tapping on the icon, the video files have a gray icon
that has "MOV" printed on it. Tapping on it does nothing. I have no other
way to open files on the iPad that I can think of, nor any way to place the
video file anywhere else, such as the Video app or iTunes app as far as I
can tell.

Old September 18th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 9/18/11 11:39 AM, in article
2011091809390643658-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2011-09-18 09:20:04 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

"George Kerby" wrote in message
[]
Haven't shot it yet, but tell me just how you connect your CF card to the
iPad and just how and where it imports it? Thanks in advance, David.

You can connect your SD card with the Camera Connection kit:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A

Import is automatic on connection, and you can choose to skip files you
have already imported, and whether to delete the files from the SD card
once the import is complete. Can't help with the older CF format,
though. Perhaps you can get an adapter?

Cheers,
David

Here you go!

http://store.micgadget.com/card-read...a-connection-k
it.html

That's it, exactly! The problem is that it thinks *everything* it has on the
CF card is a 'photo' and puts it in the area with other photographs and I
have no way to direct it otherwise.

OTOH, I would figure that Apple's SD card adapter is 'intelligent' and
places video files in another area on the iPad so it can be opened properly,
as it has done for David. Best guess that I can come up with...

Old September 18th 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-18 09:20:04 -0700, "David J Taylor"
said:

[...]

Could you use the USB connector in that adaptor to tether the camera
and use the iPad as a display for the camera without actually
transferring the files to the iPad?

Savageduck