Nikon D60 is announced

Old January 29th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Default Nikon D60 is announced

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Old January 29th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Neil Harrington wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Ha, it does movies (sort of):

"Stop-Motion Movie mode is a D-SLR first that enables users to create
stop-animation movie clips from a series of as many as 100 consecutive
JPEG picture files."
Old January 29th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Ha, it does movies (sort of):

"Stop-Motion Movie mode is a D-SLR first that enables users to create
stop-animation movie clips from a series of as many as 100 consecutive
JPEG picture files."

Yes, and Ken says he actually wants that. Heh. I wonder what the method is.

What's interesting to me is its being packaged with the 18-55 VR. Since that
implies enormous production of that lens, presumably it will be very
attractively priced.

Neil

Old January 29th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Sieving

On Jan 29, 12:05*pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The introduction suggests it's a replacement for the D80, but it looks
more like a replacement for the D40X. I didn't see, but I assume it
doesn't have an autofocus motor for non AF-S lenses.

Old January 29th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Paul Furman
wrote:

Neil Harrington wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

ken claims it replaces the d80? it's very clearly a replacement for
the d40x and probably the d40 as well. nikon should have called it a
d45, since there's not a huge difference between it and the d40x.

Ha, it does movies (sort of):

"Stop-Motion Movie mode is a D-SLR first that enables users to create
stop-animation movie clips from a series of as many as 100 consecutive
JPEG picture files."

dpreview has a sample 'movie':
http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0801/nikon/ASC_0115.AVI

and a brief hands-on:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012911nikond601st.asp
Old January 29th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

nospam wrote:
In article , Paul Furman
wrote:

Neil Harrington wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

ken claims it replaces the d80? it's very clearly a replacement for
the d40x and probably the d40 as well. nikon should have called it a
d45, since there's not a huge difference between it and the d40x.

Ha, it does movies (sort of):

"Stop-Motion Movie mode is a D-SLR first that enables users to create
stop-animation movie clips from a series of as many as 100 consecutive
JPEG picture files."

dpreview has ... a brief hands-on:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08012911nikond601st.asp

OK so it's a D40x with a new processor & anti dust system. One
interesting feature is a "digital rangefinder that indicates subject
distance when manually focusing lenses". Hmm. Does that mean it'll meter
with old Ai lenses too?
Old January 29th 08, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington[_2_]

Mark Sieving wrote:
On Jan 29, 12:05 pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The introduction suggests it's a replacement for the D80, but it looks
more like a replacement for the D40X.

Yes, definitely. Maybe a typo on Ken's part.

I didn't see, but I assume it
doesn't have an autofocus motor for non AF-S lenses.

I assume that too. Body looks the same size as the D40/D40x so I'd think
that would rule out an AF motor and coupling in the body.

Old January 29th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

Previously on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Mark Sieving said:

On Jan 29, 12:05*pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The introduction suggests it's a replacement for the D80, but it looks
more like a replacement for the D40X. I didn't see, but I assume it
doesn't have an autofocus motor for non AF-S lenses.

The specs say that non-AF-S lenses won't autofocus on it, and it's "the
same form factor" as the D40(x). By implication, it does not have an
internal focus motor.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"If I live through this job, without completely losing my mind it will
be a miracle of biblical proportions." "Well there goes my faith in
the almighty." (Cmdr. Ivanova and Lt. Corwin, B5 "A Day In The
Strife")
Old January 29th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jan 29, 2:37 pm, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
Previously on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Mark Sieving said:

On Jan 29, 12:05 pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The introduction suggests it's a replacement for the D80, but it looks
more like a replacement for the D40X. I didn't see, but I assume it
doesn't have an autofocus motor for non AF-S lenses.

The specs say that non-AF-S lenses won't autofocus on it, and it's "the
same form factor" as the D40(x). By implication, it does not have an
internal focus motor.

It doesn't, check the picture of the bayonet.
Old January 29th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
frederick

Neil Harrington wrote:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

The D60 is (IMO) Nikon's first tactical blunder for a while.

The D40/x competed well against the Canon 400d. The 400d was/is a better
featured camera, but the differences perhaps weren't so obvious to a new
user to slrs. This time, comparing the D60 to the 450d, the 450d is a
much better featured camera, but this time it should be easy for a new
user to see that the D60 is out-specced by the Canon. The 450d looks
good, will have 12mp and liveview stamped all over the carton, and
although launch price for the D60 is a little lower than the 450d, Canon
have shown that they can be aggressive on price, and have indicated that
their goal is to retain #1 sales position in Japan. This year, I think
Canon will win.