A photo for train lovers, a view of Silverton Colorado

Old November 3rd 05, 10:49 PM
Scott W

Default A photo for train lovers, a view of Silverton Colorado

This is a photo looking down on the town of Silverton Colorado, this is
the end of the Darango to Silverton railroad, which runs a number of
old steam trains daily. You can get a pretty good view of a few of the
trains by selecting original at the bottom of the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/camping05/image/51727429/large

The original size is pretty large and will take a while to load.

Scott

Old November 4th 05, 07:28 AM

I was wondering how I was going to see much extra detail until I
realised it was a 14MP image. What camera did that come out of?
1DsII cropped?

I saw a steam train passing through our
smack-bang-in-the-middle-of-suburbia station the other day, which was a
bit of a surprise...

Old November 4th 05, 09:23 AM
Randy Berbaum

In rec.photo.digital Scott W wrote:

: You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

And the ride on the train provides some spectacular photography
possibilities. Standing on the end platform and realizing the side steps
are hanging over a cliff that seems to be a thousand feet or more,
straight down! And at the same time the opposite steps are only inches
from a vertical rock wall extending up into the far distance.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old November 4th 05, 10:33 AM
railfan

Thanks! FWIW it's the Durango & Silverton Railroad. Been there, done
that!

Bob B.
Canada

Old November 4th 05, 03:02 PM
Don Bruder

In article ,
Randy Berbaum wrote:

In rec.photo.digital Scott W wrote:

: You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

And the ride on the train provides some spectacular photography
possibilities. Standing on the end platform and realizing the side steps
are hanging over a cliff that seems to be a thousand feet or more,
straight down! And at the same time the opposite steps are only inches
from a vertical rock wall extending up into the far distance.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Side note to nowhere (Or maybe to Silverton?)

C.W. McCall (Yeah, same guy that did "Convoy") spoke/sang of the
Silverton back in the 70's, giving what I think might be the catchiest
description of a train ride I've ever heard:

She was born one mornin'
on a San Juan Summer
back in 18 and 81
She was a beautiful daughter of the D&RG,
and she weighed about a thousand ton.
Well it's a 45 miles through the animus canyon,
so they set 'er on the narrow gauge
She drank a whole lotta water
and she ate a lotta coal,
and they call her the Silverton (Silverton Train!)

Chorus:
Here comes the Silverton, up from Darango
Here comes the Silverton, a-shovelin' coal
Here comes the Silverton, up from the canyon
See the smoke and hear the whistle blow!

Well now, listen to the whistle in the rockwood cut,
on the highline to Silverton town,
and you're gonna get a shiver
when you check out the river -
which is 400 feet straight down!
Take on some water at the Needleton tank,
then you struggle up a 2-5 grade
And by the time you gitcher hide past the snow-shed slide,
you've had a ride on the Silverton (Silverton train!)

Chorus

Now down by the station, early in the mornin'
there's a whole lotta people in line
And they all got a ticket on the train to yesterday,
and its-a gonna leave on time
Well it's 45 mile up the animus canyon,
so they run 'er on the narrow gauge
She takes a whole lotta water and she needs a lotta coal
and they call her the Silverton (Silverton train!)

(Repeat chorus to fade)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info
Old November 4th 05, 03:31 PM
David Littlewood

In article . com, Scott
W writes

wrote:
I was wondering how I was going to see much extra detail until I
realised it was a 14MP image. What camera did that come out of?
1DsII cropped?

It came out of a Sony F828, there is really no limit to the resolution
when you are willing to stitch.

Silverton is really a neat town, the train come right into the town and
just stops in the middle of the street.

You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

Scott

I had the pleasure of taking a trip on the railway in 1992; took lots of
photos hanging off the coach sides etc. It certainly was spectacular.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old November 4th 05, 04:02 PM
Frank ess

"railfan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks! FWIW it's the Durango & Silverton Railroad. Been there,
done
that!

Bob B.
Canada

A memorable experience, truly.

Parent "D&RG" was Denver and Rio Grande, that ran past my
grandparents' house in Utah.

--
Frank ess

Old November 4th 05, 06:28 PM
Father Kodak

On 4 Nov 2005 00:42:00 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

You got of love steam trains, there is nothing else like them.

Agreed. And of course, a wonderful place to visit is the British
Museum Railway Museum in York, England.

And I might add that railways photography requires large aperture
(prime) lenses, good wide angles, a motor drive or a digital camera
with a deep buffer, AND a very high resolution sensor or 35 mm film to
capture all the detail.

Either two film bodies or a digital camera that supports ISO 1600 ~
3200, with full-frame, to protect our investment in all those lenses.

---Lady Margaret Thatcher--