Using old laptop drive

Old February 21st 05, 02:36 PM
Ron

Default Using old laptop drive

Anyone take an old drive out of an unused laptop and use it for backing
up on the road? I have a ten gig drive in a Sony Vaio subnote which I
assume is a 1.5 inch one. Presumably I could get an enclosure with power
supply and run it through USB port, or connect
with Delkin Bridge?????????? Anyone have experience doing this? Anyone
rigged up a portable power supply???

Thanks.

Old February 21st 05, 03:56 PM
bmoag

Sorry, not possible.
Keep the computer and get a card reader to plug into the computer.
There are i-pod like units that can read flash cards and back them up to an
internal hard drive but good ones are still in the $500 range.
Most likely they will be half that price by the end of the year . . .

Old February 21st 05, 04:41 PM
rafe bustin

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:56:34 GMT, "bmoag"
wrote:

Sorry, not possible.
Keep the computer and get a card reader to plug into the computer.
There are i-pod like units that can read flash cards and back them up to an
internal hard drive but good ones are still in the $500 range.
Most likely they will be half that price by the end of the year . . .

See the many interesting storage
and backup devices at

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/

Most of these are built around small
notebook sized hard drives. A unit
with a 20G hard drive included can
be had for about $170.

"Drive-less" units can be had for
around $70 to $80.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old February 21st 05, 05:14 PM
Ron

Thanks guys. Was hoping....The computer is truly on its last legs -- bad
power supply, ports not working correctly. I never use it. I will yank
the drive an put it in an enclosure and simply use it for backup off my
computers. Found an enclosure on eBay for well less than twenty bucks,
including postage. Having done this with a standard size drive I'm sure
I find use for this one. I do have some other portable devices,
including a flash drive and hard drive MP3 player I can use, as well as
another tiny Vaio.

Old February 21st 05, 05:29 PM
Dave Herzstein

Ron wrote:

Anyone take an old drive out of an unused laptop and use it for backing
up on the road? I have a ten gig drive in a Sony Vaio subnote which I
assume is a 1.5 inch one. Presumably I could get an enclosure with power
supply and run it through USB port, or connect
with Delkin Bridge?????????? Anyone have experience doing this? Anyone
rigged up a portable power supply???

Thanks.

You can buy enclosures for 2.5" drives that are USB 2.0 and are powered
through the USB port. (I don't know if 1.5" drives would adapt.)

-Dave
Old February 21st 05, 09:07 PM
Ken Oaf

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:14:47 -0500, Ron wrote:

Thanks guys. Was hoping....The computer is truly on its last legs -- bad
power supply, ports not working correctly. I never use it. I will yank
the drive an put it in an enclosure and simply use it for backup off my
computers. Found an enclosure on eBay for well less than twenty bucks,
including postage. Having done this with a standard size drive I'm sure
I find use for this one. I do have some other portable devices,
including a flash drive and hard drive MP3 player I can use, as well as
another tiny Vaio.

Though it is possible, by the sounds of it the laptop has had a hard life. I
wouldn't trust the old hard drive to last long. You can buy new 40 gig laptop
drives for a very reasonable price these days.

Old February 21st 05, 09:26 PM
ECM

I use an old 2.5" 6 GB drive in a Sabrent enclosure from Newegg.com
with my Delkin Bridge. The Delkin doesn't have near enough power to run
the drive, though; it'll just sit there and click. My enclosure is
powered from the USB bus, so I found a battery charger called the USB
Pocket Power Bank. It charges my NiMH AAs (does a good job, too -
includes a "recycle" cycle to rejuvenate old batteries) and then uses
them to supply up to 1000mA through a USB port - more than enough to
power the HDD:

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/pocpowban.html

Also useful to power other USB devices like my Palm.....

Alternatively you can get an enclosure with it's own power supply -
check around, they tend to be expensive. Also, there are devices I saw
recently at CompUSA that you can slip an old notebook HDD into:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...410&pfp=BROWSE

- so actually a bit cheaper than the Delkin bridge, a card reader, and
an external enclosure all together.

ECM

Old February 22nd 05, 12:56 AM
Stewy

In article , Ron
wrote:

Anyone take an old drive out of an unused laptop and use it for backing
up on the road? I have a ten gig drive in a Sony Vaio subnote which I
assume is a 1.5 inch one. Presumably I could get an enclosure with power
supply and run it through USB port, or connect
with Delkin Bridge?????????? Anyone have experience doing this? Anyone
rigged up a portable power supply???

Why go to all that trouble when you can pop down to the local camera
store and buy yourself a Apacer Disc Steno? Not only can you back up
cards more than once, but you can use this as an external CDR
burner/reader during the rest of the year. CDRs cost peanuts these days
- I usually buy a spindle of 100 800mb discs for around $19.