cameras for Windows 95

Old August 22nd 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jim Nason

Default cameras for Windows 95

On 2008-08-14 08:17:47 -0400, said:

Can anyone suggest a digital camera that works with Windows 95? I
don't really want to upgrade the operating system?

A camera that a person could actually find somewhere, and get
inexpensively, new or used, would be preferable obviously.

Or, do the system requirements matter that much? I mean, if it says
Windows 98 minimum, is there a chance it would work with 95?

Never mind the camera, why on earth are you sticking with an OS that
was crippled when it came out and never improved? Other posters are
correct, even if you could get a USB port to work on Win 95, which I
pretty sure you can't and no camera has been made with as serial port
connection in recent history, the computer you are running on can't
possibly support the new image formats and sizes.

How many cameras today spec even Win 98 SE as a minimum?

While and I am unabashed fan of Apple Macs, Sun Solaris and Red Hat
Linux, you can buy from Dell or HP an OK Win Vista (oh I shudder to say
that) machine to process digital images and will connect to modern
cameras for considerably less than a 1000 bucks. No, they won't
support professionals but hey will do considerably more than your
machine will. They might even have bundled software to edit and
process photos. The OS is still supported by Microsoft and you can
actually buy antivirus software that works. Although I suppose the
virus/trogan/malware corporations have long since stopped looking at
Win 95 machines as targets as they are so few and probably can't move
enough data through them to make them worthy targets. So you might be
safe there

--
jen ... not.. home...//// yahoo... com

Old August 23rd 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matti Vuori

Jim Nason wrote in news:2008082123225016807-
jennothome@yahoocom:
Never mind the camera, why on earth are you sticking with an OS that
was crippled when it came out and never improved?

Of course it was. Whereas Linux has new kernel versions, Windows updates
its version names.

the computer you are running on can't
possibly support the new image formats and sizes.

Computers don't support the image formats, applications do.

How many cameras today spec even Win 98 SE as a minimum?

Today they don't need to spec _any_ computer as any OS can use the camera
as an USB drive or use a memory card reader.

--
Matti Vuori, http://www.kotiposti.net/~xmvuori/index-e.htm

Old August 24th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"Matti Vuori" wrote in message
6...
Jim Nason wrote in news:2008082123225016807-
jennothome@yahoocom:
Never mind the camera, why on earth are you sticking with an OS that
was crippled when it came out and never improved?

Of course it was. Whereas Linux has new kernel versions, Windows updates
its version names.

the computer you are running on can't
possibly support the new image formats and sizes.

Computers don't support the image formats, applications do.

How many cameras today spec even Win 98 SE as a minimum?

Today they don't need to spec _any_ computer as any OS can use the camera
as an USB drive or use a memory card reader.

I think you are missing the point of this thread - W95 can't use USB, WNT 4
can't and W98 without the giga service pack (basically V2) won't either.

I wouldn't like to take bets on which versions of Apple's OS's can, and
whilst support is more likely on Linux and other unix derivatives, that can
hardly be guaranteed either.

--
Matti Vuori, http://www.kotiposti.net/~xmvuori/index-e.htm

Old August 30th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"Matti Vuori" wrote in message

Today they don't need to spec _any_ computer as any OS can use the camera
as an USB drive or use a memory card reader.

I think you are missing the point of this thread - W95 can't use USB, WNT 4
can't and W98 without the giga service pack (basically V2) won't either.

I think that were the two points he wanted to make:
a) Windows is the odd man out there
b) w95 is about 13 years past it best before date, w98 almost 10
years, and NT4 isn't much better

Yes, of course you can build a USB-ignorant Linux (or Unix)... but
you'll know that you did it, just as you know if you scratched
your lenses front element for artistic reasons.

-Wolfgang