Delkin Sensor Scope Sensor Cleaner

Old March 6th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Delkin Sensor Scope Sensor Cleaner

We spent a week in Sedona and unfortunately I began noticing a lot of dust
build-up on my sensor, so I decided to give Delkin's Sensor Scope a try.
Before this, I simply used the Copper Hill method of sensor cleaning.

The Sensor Scope comes in a foam filled case and consists of a lighted
'scope,' (really, a modified jeweler's loupe), a tiny vacuum cleaner with
brushes on the end, and some flexible sensor cleaning swabs. The vacuum
cleaner can be powered by the USB port on any computer or it has its own
battery pack. It also has a light to see the sensor with. Instructions for
most popular DSLRs are included, with notes for DSLRs with self-cleaning
sensors.

The scope sits down on the lens mount with a rubber washer. The scope was
handy -- it makes any dust on the sensor extremely visible. The vacuum
cleaner removed a small amount of it, but the rest was stuck there pretty
good. The swabs and included fluid removed the remaining particles and spots
in a few minutes.

I found the scope somewhat awkward to use. There is a button on the side for
the light and you have to hold it to keep the light on. This is while
steadying the camera with one hand, using the other to hold the scope and
squeeze the button, and look through the scope. I didn't like it.
Nevertheless, it does show the dust very well, as well as any streaks left by
the cleaning process, etc.

The vacuum cleaner has a light which makes it easier to see what you are
doing, but I really could not tell that it was doing any good at all. At
best, the little brushes on the tip managed to pick up a few specks.

There was nothing special about the flexible swabs; they are the same swabs
sold in almost every other sensor cleaning kit. I do not think the fluid was
as effective as Eclipse, but it did seem to leave fewer streaks.

Overall, I think the scope is a useful tool, the vacuum cleaner less so. You
really get the kit for the scope, but I think you could accomplish the same
thing with a jeweler's loupe.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 7th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Celcius

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote:

We spent a week in Sedona and unfortunately I began noticing a lot of
dust build-up on my sensor, so I decided to give Delkin's Sensor
Scope a try. Before this, I simply used the Copper Hill method of
sensor cleaning.

What a waste of time! This is what the pros use.

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm

I'm sending the 5D off to get drilled and ported so I can hook this system
up to it using titanium fittings.

Rita ,
This isn't original anymore. I've seen it ad nauseam.
Surely you can do better than that ;-)
Marcel