How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

Old June 5th 14, 02:50 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Silent Knight

Default How to recover a photo I was forced to delete

I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of what I consider
an inappropriate action but the employee there made me delete it
in his presence because, he said, it's against bar policy.

I want to complain to the California BAR but I want that picture
back. It's an Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 with an SD card.

I used the default "Camera" app.
I have Ubuntu linux.

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Old June 5th 14, 03:32 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Silent Knight
wrote:

I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of what I consider
an inappropriate action but the employee there made me delete it
in his presence because, he said, it's against bar policy.

you are under no obligation whatsoever to delete anything. all they can
do is kick you out and tell you never to return.

if they 'made' you, then you can (and should) take legal action.

I want to complain to the California BAR but I want that picture
back. It's an Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 with an SD card.

I used the default "Camera" app.
I have Ubuntu linux.

Is there a way to get the photo back?

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

unfortunately, since it's an android device rather than a standard
camera, that memory might have been reused for something else already.

however, if it's still there, the above app *will* find it. there are
other recovery apps but they're not as good.
Old June 5th 14, 04:00 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-05 13:50:46 +0000, Silent Knight said:

I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of what I consider
an inappropriate action but the employee there made me delete it
in his presence because, he said, it's against bar policy.

It might be against BAR policy, it might not. Did he actually show you
that policy in writing?
Then were you on private property? ...and I suspect you were, on
private property you have no right to whip out your phone to take
photographs. If you were standing on public property to take the shot
you would have less of a problem, other than you were trying to capture
something occurring on private property, which is something you do not
necessarily have a right to do.

I want to complain to the California BAR but I want that picture
back. It's an Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 with an SD card.

Complain about what? Something to do with not passing your smog test,
or having to delete the photograph?

I used the default "Camera" app.
I have Ubuntu linux.

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery might
be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal a whole
bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one which runs on
Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done with your phone
which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

Savageduck

Old June 5th 14, 04:11 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I took a picture at the bar referee smog station of what I consider
an inappropriate action but the employee there made me delete it
in his presence because, he said, it's against bar policy.

It might be against BAR policy, it might not. Did he actually show you
that policy in writing?

probably not, because there's no such policy.

Then were you on private property? ...and I suspect you were, on
private property you have no right to whip out your phone to take
photographs. If you were standing on public property to take the shot
you would have less of a problem, other than you were trying to capture
something occurring on private property, which is something you do not
necessarily have a right to do.

unless there's a prohibition for photography, you definitely can take
photos, *especially* if you are on public property and it plainly can
be seen.

I want to complain to the California BAR but I want that picture
back. It's an Android 4.3 Samsung Galaxy S3 with an SD card.

Complain about what? Something to do with not passing your smog test,
or having to delete the photograph?

the 'inappropriate action' he mentioned.

I used the default "Camera" app.
I have Ubuntu linux.

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery might
be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal a whole
bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one which runs on
Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done with your phone
which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

the options are definitely more limited for linux but linux users
should be used to that. that's why they dualboot windows and/or use
wine.
Old June 5th 14, 04:20 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Aragorn

On Thursday 05 June 2014 17:11, nospam conveyed the following to
alt.comp.os.linux...

Savageduck wrote:

[Silent Knight wrote:]

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery
might be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal
a whole bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one
which runs on Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done
with your phone which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

the options are definitely more limited for linux but linux users
should be used to that. that's why they dualboot windows and/or use
wine.

You were doing alright until you had to throw in that little bit of
trolling flame bait here-above.

--
= Aragorn =

http://www.linuxcounter.net - registrant #223157
Old June 5th 14, 04:25 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Aragorn
wrote:

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery
might be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal
a whole bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one
which runs on Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done
with your phone which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

the options are definitely more limited for linux but linux users
should be used to that. that's why they dualboot windows and/or use
wine.

You were doing alright until you had to throw in that little bit of
trolling flame bait here-above.

nothing trolling or flame bait about it. it's *reality*.
Old June 5th 14, 04:26 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Aragorn

On Thursday 05 June 2014 17:25, nospam conveyed the following to
alt.comp.os.linux...

In article , Aragorn
wrote:

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery
might be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will
reveal a whole bunch of options. Your problem is going to be
finding one which runs on Linux. The other is any thing else you
might have done with your phone which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

the options are definitely more limited for linux but linux users
should be used to that. that's why they dualboot windows and/or use
wine.

You were doing alright until you had to throw in that little bit of
trolling flame bait here-above.

nothing trolling or flame bait about it. it's *reality*.

Only in your universe, pal.

Old June 5th 14, 07:01 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
s|b

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014 13:50:46 +0000 (UTC), Silent Knight wrote:

Is there a way to get the photo back?

Try TestDisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

--
s|b
Old June 5th 14, 08:36 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

On 6/5/2014 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery might
be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal a whole
bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one which runs on
Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done with your phone
which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

That's not the law in NY. With certain exceptions, I have an absolute
right to photograph anything in plain sight, even if it is on private
property. There are definite legal restrictions on what I am permitted
to do with my image. But, that should not be confused with my right to
take the picture.

--
PeterN
Old June 5th 14, 09:18 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.comp.os.linux,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-06-05 19:36:19 +0000, PeterN said:

On 6/5/2014 11:00 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Provided you haven't overwritten or formatted the card, recovery might
be possiblity. A search for photo recovery software will reveal a whole
bunch of options. Your problem is going to be finding one which runs on
Linux. The other is any thing else you might have done with your phone
which wrote to the SD card.
http://bit.ly/1kN95Tn

That's not the law in NY. With certain exceptions, I have an absolute
right to photograph anything in plain sight, even if it is on private
property.

Agreed, but what if you are standing on that private property while
photographing those targets in plain sight. You can shoot at whatever
from public property bordering on that private property if it is in
plain sight, but once you cross that threshold it becomes a different
question. I suspect the OP was on private property, and if he had
continued to take photographs while on that property he could well be
excluded as a trespasser.

There are definite legal restrictions on what I am permitted to do with
my image. But, that should not be confused with my right to take the
picture.

He has no implied right to photograph while he is standing on private
property without the approval of the property owner or proprietor. Move
back onto the public sidewalk, and if his target is still in plain
sight, there is no argument. Then he can shoot to his heart's content.

Savageduck