When your photos are just too good.

Old April 4th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
spacecadet

Default When your photos are just too good.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - it's a no-win situation all to often
these days. Imagine the fuss if the pictures HAD been copyrighted. The
song is brilliant, thank you.

Geoff.

They WERE copyright, of the photographer herself.
She could have just gone somewhere else, of course, but that would have
spoiled the story.
A few years ago a local Snappy Snaps phoned me to let me know that
someone had asked them to copy a 10X8 of mine. To their credit they had
declined so calling me was a professional courtesy. So there is another
side to thie story. Ausitn Mitchell is quite wrong when he says that
Boots were not responsible for protecting copyright- they WOULD be
liable if they couldn't show due diligence. And when all said and done
it is a little unuusual for a student to go to Boots rather than a
prolab or the college's own facilities.
Old April 4th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Alan Browne

On 10-04-04 8:42 , spacecadet wrote:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't - it's a no-win situation all to
often these days. Imagine the fuss if the pictures HAD been
copyrighted. The song is brilliant, thank you.

Geoff.

They WERE copyright, of the photographer herself.

That's exactly it. They should have asked and when she replied "mine",
that should have been the end of it.

She could have just gone somewhere else, of course, but that would have
spoiled the story.
A few years ago a local Snappy Snaps phoned me to let me know that
someone had asked them to copy a 10X8 of mine. To their credit they had
declined so calling me was a professional courtesy. So there is another
side to thie story. Ausitn Mitchell is quite wrong when he says that
Boots were not responsible for protecting copyright- they WOULD be
liable if they couldn't show due diligence.

That ends with asking the question and getting a satisfactory answer.

And when all said and done
it is a little unuusual for a student to go to Boots rather than a
prolab or the college's own facilities.

If she was recovering costs/being paid for the photo then it may have
been appropriate that she not use the school facilities.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 4th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
spacecadet

It's a real problem. I shoot weddings (among other things) for a
living and, in most cases, the deal includes a CD-ROM of high
resolution images with the copyright owned by whoever commissioned me
to shoot the wedding.

There have been several instances of problems with the copyright
holders (or another family member) getting prints made. So I print
the name of the copyright holder on each CD. Even that hadn't stopped
the problem, though, and I have had to get involved personally on
several occasions. Plus, my initiative isn't too popular with other
social photographers who still demand to retain the copyright of
commissioned work. ;-)

Are you sure you're aware of the provisions of the 1988 Act? The
photographer DOES own the copyright. The commissioner of social
photography merely has the right not to have it published without his
permission. That was the big change.
You appear to be giving away something which belongs to you.
Old April 4th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
[email protected]

And verily, didst spacecadet hastily babble thusly:
Are you sure you're aware of the provisions of the 1988 Act? The
photographer DOES own the copyright. The commissioner of social
photography merely has the right not to have it published without his
permission. That was the big change.
You appear to be giving away something which belongs to you.

The photographer owns the copyright UNTIL he hands over said copyright to
anyone else. If the OP chooses to give the copyright to the photographs to
the commissioner, that's up to him and him alone.

--
| | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
Old April 4th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Alan Browne

On 10-04-04 12:33 , spacecadet wrote:

[...]

I don't no what the law is in the UK.

In Canada, he who commissions the photos owns the copyright unless a
contract or agreement states otherwise. (eg: if you hire a photog for a
wedding you own the work by default).

In the US it is the photographer who owns the copyright unless a
contract or agreement states otherwise.

.... and so on.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.
Old April 4th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Paul Giverin

In message , Bruce
writes

If someone orders
prints from digital files that appear professionally made, but the
person ordering the prints does not appear to be a professional,

Go on then, I'll bite.

What does a professional photographer look like?

--
Paul Giverin

My Photos:- www.pbase.com/vendee
Old April 4th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-04 11:47:46 -0700, Paul Giverin said:

In message , Bruce
writes

If someone orders
prints from digital files that appear professionally made, but the
person ordering the prints does not appear to be a professional,

Go on then, I'll bite.

What does a professional photographer look like?

He/she has a "PP" credential tattoo behind the left ear.
Accept no less.

For those "Pros" here who have yet to receive your "PP" credential tag,
for a nominal fee I will provide you with a voucher. This can be
exchanged at your tattoo artist of choice for the subtle application of
this professional badge of honor.

Savageduck

Old April 4th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

California sales tax rules are weird about insisting all photographic
services are products to be taxed, never hourly unless you're an
employee, which I find ridiculous for architectural or product/sculptor
type shoots. I just do those hourly & they get the files. I don't do
much of that though.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old April 5th 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
K W Hart

wrote in message
And verily, didst spacecadet hastily babble
thusly:
Are you sure you're aware of the provisions of the 1988 Act? The
photographer DOES own the copyright. The commissioner of social
photography merely has the right not to have it published without his
permission. That was the big change.
You appear to be giving away something which belongs to you.

The photographer owns the copyright UNTIL he hands over said copyright to
anyone else. If the OP chooses to give the copyright to the photographs to
the commissioner, that's up to him and him alone.

Generally true, except in the case of "work for hire". The OP apparently
considers being commissioned as work for hire, which is valid. But as a
professional photographer, I don't do "work for hire"; I retain copyright on
all my work.
The person creating the photograph is the copyright holder as of the moment
the image is fixed in a permanent form. He may turn over any rights he wants
to for whatever fee he may or may not charge.

Old April 5th 10, 09:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,uk.rec.photo.misc
Rob Morley

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:11:00 -0400
Alan Browne wrote:

On 10-04-04 8:42 , spacecadet wrote:
Ausitn Mitchell is quite wrong when he
says that Boots were not responsible for protecting copyright- they
WOULD be liable if they couldn't show due diligence.

That ends with asking the question and getting a satisfactory answer.

But that assumes that the person manning the photo counter is capable
of recognising a satisfactory answer when it is given, and that's
clearly not always the case.