Opinion? Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM: Reviews for XTi

Old August 23rd 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.help
PhotoAM[_2_]

Default Opinion? Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM: Reviews for XTi

I am considering getting Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS for my Canon XTi.
Anyone has any experience/opinions to share?

For starters, I want to know if this lens has any compatibility issues with
XTi or it just works.
I would also love hear any experience with the quality of the lens itself,
especially at the telephoto end (300mm).

Thanks.
[For specs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._6_EF_IS.html]

Old August 23rd 07, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
safetyo

Here are three links to a series of photos taken with that lens. The forth
link is just a nice telephoto of a helicopter.

They are on photobucket so the size is reduced.

I was taking pictures on my patio and I caught this falcon. First is at
regular size, second is crop of the bird with something in his talons, third
is when he released what I think was al large insect. Those were all at
300mm

I'm nowhere near a pro, but consider myself an advanced amateur (if there is
such a category?). I enjoy using this lens when the opportunity arises.
Focuses fast, and the IS seems to work great. When fully extended, it
doesn't seem as loose as some reviews have said, but it also isn't very
tight either. I guess that's just the way it's built. Haven't used a
filter on it. I've used both Mode and Mode 2 IS and I can't tell the
difference although I haven't shot that much yet with the lens. Sorry I
don't have a better review.

Would I buy it again? Yes. For the money, it delivers for me. I also use
the 70-200 mm f2.8.

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...d-original.jpg
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...d-close-up.jpg
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Dropped-it.jpg
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...current=76.jpg

Old August 23rd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

"PhotoAM" wrote in message
I am considering getting Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS for my Canon XTi.
Anyone has any experience/opinions to share?

For starters, I want to know if this lens has any compatibility issues
with XTi or it just works.
I would also love hear any experience with the quality of the lens itself,
especially at the telephoto end (300mm).

Thanks.
[For specs:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._6_EF_IS.html]

Read the review at PhotoZone.
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...56is/index.htm
I have the lens and think it is great, but PhotoZone and other reviews
on the Web are likely to be more impartial than any one person's views
on rpds-s.

Note that early versions of this lens have a problem with sharpness
and with zoom creep. Canon will fix them for free.

KS
Old August 29th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob S

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 03:02:45 -0500, safetyo wrote:

Here are three links to a series of photos taken with that lens. The forth
link is just a nice telephoto of a helicopter.

They are on photobucket so the size is reduced.

I was taking pictures on my patio and I caught this falcon. First is at
regular size, second is crop of the bird with something in his talons, third
is when he released what I think was al large insect. Those were all at
300mm

The bird looks like a Mississippi Kite, not actually a falcon. This
species is found along the Gulf Coast from the Florida panhandle down
through Texas, and for some distance inland. It catches and eats
insects on the wing, and drops the remains. Several years ago I saw
them catching dragonflies in Louisiana.

Bob S