Wishing To Go DSLR

Old August 18th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Wishing To Go DSLR

Paul Furman wrote:

Just Shoot Me wrote:

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help
making up my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

my pictures will be ...mostly for the furniture and the layout and not
people.

Jenny

Now, if you want to go DSLR and don't need huge prints, you would use a
program like DXO to correct the relatively minor distortion and look for
a lens that is sharp corner to corner and has well controlled flare.
Then buy the body which matches that. The other thing a DSLR will buy
you is dynamic range. Windows in daylight are much brighter than the
dark corners of a room so this is valuable.

The other thing you notice in high contrast situations is 'purple
fringing' which is more common in compact P&S cameras, in DSLRs it's
usually less but inferior lenses will still have chromatic aberration
(CA) (red-blue- fringes) which can be corrected somewhat with software
like DXO. But that's something you will want to look at when reviwing
lenses.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 18th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat

On Aug 17, 5:35 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 17, 4:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 17, 1:23 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
Hello

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help
making
up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

any suggestions would be great.

Thank you

Jenny

Wait 2 months for new models to come out. New ones will be better,
old ones will be cheaper.

a couple of weeks ago I would have replied with "wouldn't that always be
the
case"
but just last night I was telling a friend that I would feel safer when
today's models become cheaper
than getting an older one now. I didn't think 2 months would be enough
time. One model that caught my eye is the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N. A
friend
did recommend the Canon 20D. Because I travel a lot I would like one
that
is pretty strong.
I guess I will hand around the digital groups for a while sharpening my
skills.

No, go take pictures to sharpen your skills.

I just came back from taking 98 at one location.
This time while very rare I also took some outdoor shots of the backyard.
For me its a hobby but I am also trying to help out a friend that is in the
real estate business.
I get to (hopefully) learn something that I will enjoy and help a friend at
the same time.
Right now its a cool pix camera and that probably would make my questions
off topic.
I already deleted the really bad pics and now its time to see if I can make
the good ones even better in Photoshop.
Anyway I hope you guys can help me make a good choice in my first DSLR.

Jenny

98 at once? That's a good start, but you can do better than that.

Last time I figured it out, I was just over 1000 images a month.

Old August 18th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don Wiss

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Just Shoot Me wrote:

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

Hi Jenny,

Your 8400 is brain dead. But you aren't trying to use it outdoors in low
light. So it doesn't matter. To get as wide a picture as the 8400 you are
going to have to spend a lot of money. As you are taking pictures for the
PC I suggest you stick with your 8400 and if you don't have an external
flash to buy one.

Comments: A Nikon DSLR has a 1.5 crop factor. So the 17-55 lens will be
effective 25.5-82.5, a slightly less range than the 24-85 that you have
now. To beat it you have to buy the suggested Sigma, or the Nikon 12-24
(which becomes 18-36) or get the Nikon fisheye lens and post process to
flatten. Or as suggested do some panorama stitching.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old August 18th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
King Sardon

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:23:38 GMT, "Just Shoot Me"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

thank you

Buy the 30D (or wait for its successor... could be out shortly) and
put the Canon 10-22mm lens on it for the wide angle shots. This wide
angle zoom has a very useful range (16-35 mm equiv), performs very
well, and distortion (straight lines looking curved) is well
controlled at most focal lengths.

See http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3545/index.htm
(http://tinyurl.com/2lvjgf) and many other reviews on the web.

Instead of the 30D, the 20D will do the job too, and so would the
Rebel XT or XTi.

KS
Old August 18th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Pat" wrote in message
98 at once? That's a good start, but you can do better than that.

Last time I figured it out, I was just over 1000 images a month.

in the last 4 months I have saved 3592 pictures and that is far from the
total amount I have taken.

Old August 18th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Just Shoot Me wrote:

I have been thinking about going DSLR and would like a little help making
up
my mind.
Right now I am using a Nikon Cool Pix 8400.
I only do indoor photography and don't mind working with a tri-pod.
$2,000 is what I can spend total on a new DSLR, Shoe Flash? and a New
Tri-pod.
I like wide angle but not curved pictures, Something user friendly.

Hi Jenny,

Your 8400 is brain dead. But you aren't trying to use it outdoors in low
light.

some places I go to have very little light.. some have no light at all.
I try to take all my pictures during the day, but there are cloudy days
and there are some rooms with no windows or light.

So it doesn't matter. To get as wide a picture as the 8400 you are
going to have to spend a lot of money. As you are taking pictures for the
PC I suggest you stick with your 8400 and if you don't have an external
flash to buy one.

I am a bit of a perfecitonist not with other people but with myself.
If I can do better it bothers me if I do not. I know in the DLSR world
$2,000 is nothing
but would it be better than my brain dead cool pix?
Everyday is a different place and every room having different lighting.
some rooms can have up to 3 kinds of lighting. I would really like these
pictures to be the best they can be
and if I need to spend a bit more I guess I can but I will feel it.
I also know or feel cameras dont take beautiful pictures people do so I
am willing to learn.
its good to finally talk to people that know about this stuff.

Comments: A Nikon DSLR has a 1.5 crop factor. So the 17-55 lens will be
effective 25.5-82.5, a slightly less range than the 24-85 that you have
now. To beat it you have to buy the suggested Sigma, or the Nikon 12-24
(which becomes 18-36) or get the Nikon fisheye lens and post process to
flatten. Or as suggested do some panorama stitching.
Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Sigma SD14 14mp? it looks do able. amazon has it for around $1,500

I am not crazy about panorama views. some rooms are so small all you will
see is wall.
now to make it seem even more crazy. I get around from place to place on
motorcycle with the camera connected to the tripod and in a backpack. So
something with some kind of weather seal or what ever.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"King Sardon" wrote in message
news
Buy the 30D (or wait for its successor... could be out shortly) and
put the Canon 10-22mm lens on it for the wide angle shots. This wide
angle zoom has a very useful range (16-35 mm equiv), performs very
well, and distortion (straight lines looking curved) is well
controlled at most focal lengths.

See http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3545/index.htm
(http://tinyurl.com/2lvjgf) and many other reviews on the web.

Instead of the 30D, the 20D will do the job too, and so would the
Rebel XT or XTi.

KS

I find the 24mm gives a good idea of the lay out with out making people
think the
tiny Manhattan rooms are bigger than they actually are.
I don't want them to be thinking the rooms are much bigger than they are and
feel
24mm gives a good middle ground.

Jenny

Old August 18th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Just Shoot Me wrote:

The pictures will only be displayed on PC no prints at all.

The Canon 10-22 lens is $800 or a bit less, and seems a nice lens, I
would go with that and an entry level, last year's model low MP count
body for better dynamic range (see about cable release for those models)
or a used Nikon D50 with 18-70 lens and a 10-20 Sigma.

More than 6 or 8 MP will give you huge files, way more than you need for
PC screen resolution, but the DSLR will show it's benefits still.

I do have a problem sometimes with glare in the windows.

Turn down the contrast defaults. A DSLR with a good lens will help.

trying different settings I do get the windows right but its really from
just trying different settings.
I realized now in this DSLR world that my $2,000 wont buy much and I am kind
of getting a feeling that maybe
you think I might be better off with my Nikon8400 with a 24 - 85mm lens.

You have specified your needs clearly, it should be doable in that
budget with a simple DSLR, a good wide lens and a basic tripod. Flash
can certainly help but I find it a confusing hassle with much potential
to screw things up, so keep it simple with a decent DSLR & a good lens &
you will be fine and in-budget.

I get no fisheye with this lens and very happy although I can see where even
wider might come in handy
but if its going to take too much away from the camera or the pics 24 will
be fine. I also have a canon S1 IS
and can use that for taking regular pictures. I wonder how much I can get
for both my cameras.
I just finished editing my pictures and now my head is killing me.

Later I would like to get into taking pictures of nature, however those
$5,000 and up cameras
are a bit out of my reach for what I will allow myself.

You post was great, thank you

You're welcome!

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old August 18th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Paul Furman claimed:

The tripod doesn't matter for interiors with a wide angle, you just want
a cable release instead of an infrared remote.

Why? Is it the placement of the sensor? Or something else?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of
arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need
for freedom." (G'Kar, B5 "The Long Twilight Struggle")
Old August 18th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article VYtxi.1642$5y3.1570@trndny07, Just Shoot Me
wrote:

some places I go to have very little light.. some have no light at all.
I try to take all my pictures during the day, but there are cloudy days
and there are some rooms with no windows or light.

....snip...

Sigma SD14 14mp? it looks do able. amazon has it for around $1,500

it is not 14mp and it is one of the worst cameras for low light work.