Dpreview selector: AA batteries?

Old August 16th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Default Dpreview selector: AA batteries?

Has anybody figured out how to tell Dpreview.com's camera selector
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
to show only cameras powered by AA batteries, not proprietary LiON?

If not, is there another good camera selector somewhere?

Old August 16th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS[_2_]

On Aug 16, 9:38 am, Bill Tuthill wrote:
Has anybody figured out how to tell Dpreview.com's camera selectorhttp://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
to show only cameras powered by AA batteries, not proprietary LiON?

If not, is there another good camera selector somewhere?

"http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php" is much better than
the dpreview database engine.

It's especially useful now that they include "Optical/Electronic
Viewfinder" as a check-off item. Their engine really helps you
eliminate all the unacceptable cameras very quickly.

Check off just the basic no-compromise requirements:

-AF-assist lamp
-Image stabilizer
-Optical/electronic viewfinder
-Wide Angle Lens

You're left with two AA powered choices, and eleven Li-Ion choices.

Old August 16th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

SMS wrote:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php
is much better than the dpreview database engine.

It's especially useful now that they include "Optical/Electronic
Viewfinder" as a check-off item. Their engine really helps you
eliminate all the unacceptable cameras very quickly.
Check off just the basic no-compromise requirements:
-AF-assist lamp
-Image stabilizer
-Optical/electronic viewfinder
-Wide Angle Lens

Thanks!

Interesting that you pick "Image stabilizer" but not "RAW/TIFF mode"
as a must-have.

My standards are lower -- AA battery, wide angle, and viewfinder.
The Fuji S8000fd is my only choice, given I don't want xD cards.
Looks like an update of the S6000fd, which has been reviewed.

Old August 17th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Bill Tuthill wrote:

Interesting that you pick "Image stabilizer" but not "RAW/TIFF mode"
as a must-have.

Yeah, well on an a non-SLR RAW/TIFF is becoming increasingly rare. If
you specify RAW/TIFF you lose a lot of potential cameras.

My standards are lower -- AA battery, wide angle, and viewfinder.
The Fuji S8000fd is my only choice, given I don't want xD cards.
Looks like an update of the S6000fd, which has been reviewed.

Well if the Olympus SP-550 Ultra Zoom were significantly better than the
S8000FD xd cards might be an acceptable negative.
Old August 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Aug 16, 8:47 pm, SMS wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
Interesting that you pick "Image stabilizer" but not "RAW/TIFF mode"
as a must-have.

Yeah, well on an a non-SLR RAW/TIFF is becoming increasingly rare. If
you specify RAW/TIFF you lose a lot of potential cameras.

My standards are lower -- AA battery, wide angle, and viewfinder.
The Fuji S8000fd is my only choice, given I don't want xD cards.
Looks like an update of the S6000fd, which has been reviewed.

Well if the Olympus SP-550 Ultra Zoom were significantly better than the
S8000FD xd cards might be an acceptable negative.

Its been my finding that dedicated Li-ion batteries last many times
longer than 2500ma rechargeable Nimh. A camera with a choice would be
good for "an emergency" but I would still rather take an extra
dedicated battery along for the ride any day. Especially since e-bay
has many aftermarket replacements for less than $10.

Old August 17th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
King Sardon

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:47:52 -0000, "
wrote:

On Aug 16, 8:47 pm, SMS wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
Interesting that you pick "Image stabilizer" but not "RAW/TIFF mode"
as a must-have.

Yeah, well on an a non-SLR RAW/TIFF is becoming increasingly rare. If
you specify RAW/TIFF you lose a lot of potential cameras.

My standards are lower -- AA battery, wide angle, and viewfinder.
The Fuji S8000fd is my only choice, given I don't want xD cards.
Looks like an update of the S6000fd, which has been reviewed.

Well if the Olympus SP-550 Ultra Zoom were significantly better than the
S8000FD xd cards might be an acceptable negative.

Its been my finding that dedicated Li-ion batteries last many times
longer than 2500ma rechargeable Nimh. A camera with a choice would be
good for "an emergency" but I would still rather take an extra
dedicated battery along for the ride any day. Especially since e-bay
has many aftermarket replacements for less than $10.

And how good are those aftermarket replacement batteries?

KS
Old August 17th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

SMS wrote:
wrote:

Its been my finding that dedicated Li-ion batteries last many times
longer than 2500ma rechargeable Nimh. A camera with a choice would be
good for "an emergency" but I would still rather take an extra
dedicated battery along for the ride any day.

There's still a few people that don't understand the tremendous
advantages of Li-Ion batteries. Usually the reason they want NiMH
batteries is because they've had their batteries go dead so many times
that they think they need to be able to have an "emergency" back-up of
AA alkaline batteries.

Especially since e-bay
has many aftermarket replacements for less than $10.

Not just eBay, there are reputable e-tailers with similar prices.

OTOH, the original poster want a camera that takes AA batteries, and
whether this desire is based on real or imaginary reasons is not relevant,

Steve
http://batterydata.com

There are several valid reasons to prefer the AA batteries. Those who
travel away from urban areas, and often spend days away from power
sources can't depend on lithium-ion batteries to get the job done. One
of the major shortcomings of that battery technology is a rather sharp
power drop off rate at the end of the charge life. When they are dead,
they are rather suddenly dead. Yes, you can carry a spare lithium-ion
battery, but they are much more expensive than a set of AA alkalines
bought at any bait shop.
Old August 17th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JohnR66

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 16, 8:47 pm, SMS wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
Interesting that you pick "Image stabilizer" but not "RAW/TIFF mode"
as a must-have.

Yeah, well on an a non-SLR RAW/TIFF is becoming increasingly rare. If
you specify RAW/TIFF you lose a lot of potential cameras.

My standards are lower -- AA battery, wide angle, and viewfinder.
The Fuji S8000fd is my only choice, given I don't want xD cards.
Looks like an update of the S6000fd, which has been reviewed.

Well if the Olympus SP-550 Ultra Zoom were significantly better than the
S8000FD xd cards might be an acceptable negative.

Its been my finding that dedicated Li-ion batteries last many times
longer than 2500ma rechargeable Nimh. A camera with a choice would be
good for "an emergency" but I would still rather take an extra
dedicated battery along for the ride any day. Especially since e-bay
has many aftermarket replacements for less than $10.

I don't like Li-ion because they start loosing capacity after a couple years
and are expensive to replace. I tried an after market one from B&H for $35
It's capacity was less than the OEM was and after a year it would only get
me 20 shots per charge. I was on a business trip one time and had spare time
to visit a zoo. Both batteries ran out before I was finished. It was that
time I decided to sell the camera and get one that uses AA's. That was 2004
and I have never looked back.

The Li-ion in my dSLR has been better, however, after 3 years it only holds
half the charge and seems weaker every time I use it.

With Eneloop Ni-Mh technology around now, I have evern more reason not to
want Li-ion.
John

dpreview Joe Pak Digital SLR Cameras 216 December 7th 06 05:34 PM
Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity [email protected] Digital Photography 15 November 25th 06 05:42 AM
DPreview Marc Down Digital SLR Cameras 2 September 30th 06 12:42 PM
DPReview down? john Digital SLR Cameras 2 August 18th 05 04:32 PM
Maxxum 7, AF area selector buttons. David Farber 35mm Photo Equipment 13 December 25th 04 11:26 PM