Bad sensor dust

Old February 8th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Bad sensor dust

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

If you have photos that are important to you, but have "errors", do
whatever you can to fix those errors in post. That is why editing tools
exist.

You can not correct focus on post.

false.

photoshop and several other tools, such as focus magic can help fix out
of focus images:
http://focusmagic.com

I have my doubts, even after seeing the samples.

doubt all you want. it works quite well in many cases. obviously not
every case. nothing is perfect.

It will be expensive,
out of my bracket.

it's not expensive and there are even free options available.

Please tell those free options.

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Smart_Sharpening/
http://refocus-it.sourceforge.net/
http://bigwww.epfl.ch/deconvolution/
http://www.deconvolve.net/DNLinks.html

and price is not the issue anyway. you said it can't be done, and it
can.

I'll believe when I see it. I read bad critics about that software you
posted, maybe even here.

Information is lost with bad focus: to repair that, data has to be
"created", thus false.

but not necessarily wrong.
Old February 21st 19, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2/3/2019 8:15 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Alfred Molon wrote:
Here is an example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcod...2963838558/in/
album-72157705868008995/

The blobs at the top left are the most visible ones, but
there actually are dust blobs across the entire frame.
And apparently the photographer wasan't even aware of
the dust, as the blobs are on all or almost all images.

Yup!
The dust is very conspicuous, and is going to need some major fixing in
post. That sensor is in dire need of cleaning, and the photographer should
have taken an emergency cleaning kit with him on that trip. When you know
that you are going to be in an environment with wind, dust, and sand, there
is no excuse for not being prepared. At a minimum a lot of care should be
taken with lens changes.

The camera is a DSLR with an optical viewfinder and I#m
guessing that the images were not inspected during the
trip to Algeria, otherwise the photographer would have
noticed the dust on the sensor.

Given the camera, I suspect that the photographer is oblivious of the
potential dust problem with all ILCs, DSLR, or MILC. It is probably his
first DSLR.

Actually, looking at the photos of previous trips (the
Namibia one of last summer for instance) the dust on the
sensor was already there, so it seems that the
photographer doesn't even know that the problem exists,
or simply doesn't care. or maybe likes that 'blobby'
look ;-)

If he is that oblivious to the potential dust problem, it is inexcusable,
and he should stick to using a compact.

At least one photographer made a great effort to breed and photograph dust.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=A4273D9E8C38302D1AFBBE723B 8096827DA1CB71&thid=OIP.KychV_yl4QThSwVkwDC2tAHaE0 &mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm1.staticflickr.com%2F22 0%2F483604587_4352f1398c.jpg&exph=312&expw=479&q=m an+ray+dust+breeding&selectedindex=10&qpvt=man+ray +dust+breeding&ajaxhist=0&vt=0
--
PeterN
Old February 23rd 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

May I ask you to explain what I'm looking at there, Peter?

TIA

Yes.

--
PeterN
Old February 23rd 19, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Alfred Molon wrote:

At least one photographer made a great effort to breed and photograph
dust.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=A4273D9E8C38302D1AFBBE723B 8096827DA1CB71&thid=OIP.KychV_yl4QThSwVkwDC2tAHaE0 &mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm1.staticflickr.com%2F22 0%2F483604587_4352f1398c.jpg&exph=312&expw=479&q=m an+ray+dust+breeding&selectedindex=10&qpvt=man+ray +dust+breeding&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

May I ask you to explain what I'm looking at there, Peter?

TIA

Yes.

Ok.... what is it, then?

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old February 23rd 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Alfred Molon wrote:

At least one photographer made a great effort to breed and photograph
dust.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=A4273D9E8C38302D1AFBBE723B 8096827DA1CB71&thid=OIP.KychV_yl4QThSwVkwDC2tAHaE0 &mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm1.staticflickr.com%2F22 0%2F483604587_4352f1398c.jpg&exph=312&expw=479&q=m an+ray+dust+breeding&selectedindex=10&qpvt=man+ray +dust+breeding&ajaxhist=0&vt=0

May I ask you to explain what I'm looking at there, Peter?

TIA

Yes.

Ok.... what is it, then?

If you don't know who Man Ray is, Google him and Dada, and learn.

--
PeterN