Found: tape for film holder repair

Old August 7th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Found: tape for film holder repair

We've discussed the subject of what tape to use to repair film holders
here before. (That's the tape used to hold the light seal hinges to the
holder.)

While there are other materials that will work well here, I found
something locally that I'm going to use on my film holders. It's a book
repair tape made for taping the spines of bound books:

http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=915

It's cotton, comes in black, and comes in rolls with a release liner,
making it easy to cut and apply. I tried a sample piece, and it sticks
to wood really well.

It's also expensive: almost $40 a roll. Fortunately I can buy the couple
of feet I need from a local bookbinder. That's where I'd look for the
stuff if you want to use it.

Old August 7th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
We've discussed the subject of what tape to use to repair film holders
here before. (That's the tape used to hold the light seal hinges to the
holder.)

While there are other materials that will work well here, I found
something locally that I'm going to use on my film holders. It's a book
repair tape made for taping the spines of bound books:

http://www.gaylord.com/adblock.asp?abid=915

It's cotton, comes in black, and comes in rolls with a release liner,
making it easy to cut and apply. I tried a sample piece, and it sticks to
wood really well.

It's also expensive: almost $40 a roll. Fortunately I can buy the couple
of feet I need from a local bookbinder. That's where I'd look for the
stuff if you want to use it.

Good find! Of similar note from Light Impressions:

Black linen tape, described to be good for bookbinding
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...on?itemId=1471

Tyvek tape, also described to be good for bookbinding. No black, so perhaps
the tape can be inked/painted black afterwards
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...ion?itemId=405

Old August 7th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Jean-David Beyer

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

Good find! Of similar note from Light Impressions:

Black linen tape, described to be good for bookbinding
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...on?itemId=1471

Tyvek tape, also described to be good for bookbinding. No black, so perhaps
the tape can be inked/painted black afterwards
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...ion?itemId=405

Note that, aesthetics aside, the tape does not need to be black or even
opaque. It just should be long lasting and not pull off by mistake. The
light tightness is determined by the geometry of the parts, not the opacity
of the tape.

^^-^^ 18:05:01 up 2 days, 3:16, 3 users, load average: 4.04, 4.64, 4.62