XD Card Error

Old May 17th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Irongirl

Default XD Card Error

Hoping someone can help.

I have a Olympus Stylus 720 SW digital camera, I use a 1 GB XD Card (H), with
it.

Well this morning I was transfering the pictures to my PC and after awhile I
of transfering the picture to the computer (213 pictures) the computer said
finish and so I took the XD card out from the computer. I went to take a
look at the pictures and noticed that only (188 pictures you could visual see
and the other 25 pictures were little icons, that could not be opened). So I
inserted the XD card back into the computer to see if I could see the
pictures and well I received card error. I really would like to see if I
could get those 25 pictures, it would mean alot. I did try a different XD
card in the camera and it worked fine. I just don't know what happen because
I did not pull the card out from the computer early or anything.

Advice please?

Julie

Old May 17th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 17 May 2007 20:28:17 GMT, Irongirl wrote:

I really would like to see if I could get those 25 pictures, it would mean alot.
I did try a different XD card in the camera and it worked fine. I just don't
know what happen because I did not pull the card out from the computer
early or anything.

Advice please?

Can you view those 25 pictures in your Stylus 720, even zooming in
on them? If so, try to transfer them directly from the camera,
using a USB cable instead of using your computer's card reader.

Whether this is successful or not, I'd then format the card using
the camera (*not in the card reader*), and then put the card back
into the computer's card reader. From there, create a folder, and
fill the card with files (any type) to see if you're able to
transfer files to and from the card without error. Just to make
sure, it sounds like you've used this 1GB Type H card many times
before in the *same* card reader without having a problem. If this
is not the case, realize that Type H cards don't work well with many
older card readers. They work properly in my computer's very slow,
built-in card reader, but never in any external card reader I tried
except for one that I bought late last year which had recently been
updated to support Type H xD cards. Previous models worked with all
xD cards except for Type H.

If the card is also unreadable in your camera, then that pretty
much lets you know that you need to replace it with a new card.
Check with the card's manufacturer. Many have a lifetime warranty.

Old May 17th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Irongirl

No everytime I put the card back into the camera it keeps telling me card
error.

There is definitely lots of information on this forum/blog, so when I get
home I am going to try using the USB cable with the XD card in the camera and
maybe the pictures will transfer over to the PC.

I know that never to format an XD card on the computers card reader. I just
don't want to format the XD card just yet unless I know for sure that the
pictures are long gone. And yes I have used this card several times in the
card reader.

Thanks again for the advise.

Old May 22nd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomcas

Irongirl wrote:
[...]

Try these free recovery utilities-
Restoration
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
and Digital Photo Recovery
http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/downloads.htm
You don't say what type of reader you are using. H cards are picky and
have been know to do this on some readers. Have you used this reader on
this card in the past without problems? My daughter uses an Olympus 200
reader on the same card and camera without any problems. When you say
you didn't pull the card out early I assume that you prompted for a safe
disconnect first, right?
Old May 22nd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 22 May 2007 00:03:41 -0400, tomcas wrote:
http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/downloads.htm
You don't say what type of reader you are using. H cards are picky and
have been know to do this on some readers. Have you used this reader on
this card in the past without problems? My daughter uses an Olympus 200
reader on the same card and camera without any problems. When you say
you didn't pull the card out early I assume that you prompted for a safe
disconnect first, right?

It shouldn't matter if you are only reading the card and not deleting
the files.

It might be worth using the camera as a "card reader" -- leave the card
in the camera and download the pictures via the usb cable.
Old May 22nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Irongirl via PhotoKB.com

The card reader that I am using is the one on the computer. I have used this
reader plenty of times before with no problems. Yes, I waited for the prompt.
Nothing is working. I even tried a hex editor software and well I did notice
a difference between the a good picture and the picture that I cannot open.
It just that software is so confusing. But I just want to say thank for
everyones help.

tomcas wrote:
Hoping someone can help.

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]