Wedding Photography Critique Request

Old July 20th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

Default Wedding Photography Critique Request

On Jul 19, 6:42?pm, Robert Coe b...@

Well, that's up to the priest (or more likely the Executive Nun), isn't it? At
my granddaughter's First Communion the Executeve Nun made it very clear in
advance just what was and wasn't allowed. Nobody even dreamed of arguing or
pushing the rules much.

Bob

Bob

Mother Superior is the phrase here.

Bob AZ

Old July 20th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob AZ

On Jul 19, 9:06?am, Chris wrote:
Just wondering what you guys think of a wedding I shot a little while
ago.

Here is the link:

http://proof.chrismaness.com/3-24-07_Jevon/

Open for comments.

Did you get paid? Some fill flash is in order if possible. But then I
avoid weddings unless there is lots of money. I would not have
posted all the images you did. Only post your best shots. Every
computer has a Delete key. Did you take the pictures in RAW. Any
additional lighting rules usually apply during the ceremony only. A
visit with the pastor is certainly in order well before the shoot.
Eases lots of concerns.

Bob AZ

Old July 20th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D[_2_]

Chris wrote:
Just wondering what you guys think of a wedding I shot a little while
ago.

Here is the link:

http://proof.chrismaness.com/3-24-07_Jevon/

Open for comments.

You do not give us any idea of the camera you were using, and for this
type of photography one would normally use a dslr - if one is shooting
digital, of course. Perchance though, you might have been using a
compact of some sort, in which case some of the remarks might not apply.
However, here are my (constructive) comments:

I agree with most of the respondents in this thread, specially the
constant left tilt of the verticals. If you did this for effect, IMO it
didn't work in a number of the shots, e.g. bride and groom on the rocky
beach, the wedding cake! and the bridal couple cutting the cake. Did
you not get any of them from the 'front', with the cake between them,
and the bridesmaids' posies surrounding the cake? That's an 'essential'
shot for most weddings.

Another poster mentioned heavy shadows and the suggested use of fill
flash. Maybe flash is not allowed during the service, but your shots of
persons alighting from a car - you have several, but none of the bride
herself that I saw - and people entering doorways with almost black
faces, all call for fill flash.

One other noticeable problem is where you cut off partial figures.
Losing feet in a full length shot is bad, as are waist shots cut off too
high above the waist, severing arms at awkward places. I get the
impression that you don't or can't see the entire viewfinder at once,
maybe because of glasses, because several shots are rather off-centre,
and maybe you need to resolve your viewing performance. There are some
shots that have unfortunate backgrounds, and I appreciate that you can't
always control where people are standing, but if you are the official
photog, you should not be afraid to move people around to get the shot
you want, with regard to lighting, background, who is next to whom, no
fat people on the ends of groups, that sort of thing. You will always
get one or two who thrust themselves to the front of a photo shoot, and
they need to be controlled.

On one occasion I was doing a wedding, and there were two very fat
teenagers, a brother and sister, and they were resisting my wife's
attempts to get them posed in line, trying to crowd in on the bride and
groom. Finally I asked how they were related to the bridal couple, and
it turned out that they were the children of an invited guest, no
relation to the celebrants. They got a fairly terse message to get
their asses out pronto - not in those exact words, but they got the
drift alright.

The moral is, if you can't control the photographic situation, then it
will control you. All you will get are snapshots.

Having said all that, your overall coverage was good, not too many shots
missed, mostly the 'setup' shots, like the father or guardian helping
the bride exit the limo, she sitting with feet on the ground properly
placed, he standing by the door, feet ditto - don't cut them off! - and
her hand in his preparatory to alighting, then the shot after she
alights. There are quite a few other 'essential' shots, but from here
your best approach, if you are going to do it again, is to get some
books, or surf the net for examples and techniques.

Give us some more background, for interest's sake.

Colin D.

Old July 20th 07, 08:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Allen wrote:
Roy G wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just wondering what you guys think of a wedding I shot a little while
ago.

Here is the link:

http://proof.chrismaness.com/3-24-07_Jevon/

Open for comments.

Hi.

Not bad for what I assume was a first attempt.

You do seem to take an lot from the 5ft 6ins position, quite often
causing foreshortening.

You also need to learn how to use Fill Flash, there are shadows on too
many of the faces. If using Flash, remember to get a swivelling
bracket so that the Flash Head is above the lens in both Portrait and
Landscape orientation.

Post processing is required to enliven a lot of what seem to be
straight off the Camera shots.

Not bad for a first time.

Roy G

Many churches (mine included) do not allow flash (or any other extra
artificial light) during services.
Allen

Just my personal opinion, but using flash, or having someone running
around, getting in the way of the friends and family at a wedding is
totally unacceptable conduct. Most wedding photographers are in the
same category as papparatzi, in my opinion. Some are so rude that they
have been asked to just leave. The rules need to be discussed ahead of
time, along with what is, and is not, to be photographed 'live', and how
many photos are to be taken, and when.
They should also realize that other guests WILL take pictures, and if
they aren't ok with this, then find someone who IS.

Old July 20th 07, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Colin_D wrote:

The moral is, if you can't control the photographic
situation, then it will control you. All you will get
are snapshots.

The "journalism style" of wedding photography may not
work for you, but it 1) lets the situation control the
photography, and 2) does not produce snapshots.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 20th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Colin_D[_2_]

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
The moral is, if you can't control the photographic
situation, then it will control you. All you will get
are snapshots.

The "journalism style" of wedding photography may not
work for you, but it 1) lets the situation control the
photography, and 2) does not produce snapshots.

I'm probably regarded by the younger set as old-fashioned now, but IMO
the traditional photographic standards are still desirable, even if
nobody today recognizes it as such.

Yes, the journalism style is used a lot, but I have had younger people
look at some of the more traditional wedding shots, and they've said
something along the lines of 'I rather wish we had some nice shots like
those'.

My personal opinion is - and YMMV - that the journo style is more a
result of using 35mm film cameras, no available studio, everything
either outdoors or flash, and - dare I say it - ignorance or downright
disdain for the more timeless, classic style.

My grandson got married last year, the pro photog and his wife were
shooting two Dynax film cameras. I had the job of scanning the negs for
my GS to store on his computer, all nine 36exp films. The photog sold
them the negs for a price, dunno how much.

Most of the shots were pure kitsch, complete crap IMO. The groom and
groomsmen acting out various scenarios, like one on a cellphone, another
two looking at their watches, the groom scratching his head etc.,
clearly meant to be a jibe at the bride being late. Another with the
men running away from the women, having stolen their posies. Supposed to
be funny. Stopped being funny by the next day. Memorable shots, not
many of those. When they are looked back on years hence, I think there
will be disappointment. I finished up taking a few properly posed shots
at the reception, cutting the cake etc. Guess which ones they had blown
up and framed.

Even at 73, I still get the urge to do a few weddings, but not 'journo
style'.

Colin D.

Old July 20th 07, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clive[_2_]

Chris wrote:
Just wondering what you guys think of a wedding I shot a little while
ago.

Here is the link:

http://proof.chrismaness.com/3-24-07_Jevon/

Open for comments.

My comment;

Don't like the 'tilt' shots - if intended (especially the cake).

If I were the couple and you the professional photographer, I would ask
for my money back. None of the photos gave me the 'ahhh' factor - which
a lot of people want.

Remember wedding photographs not only need to be technically excellent,
but convey the couples special day and the pictures IMO don't do that.

Clive
Old July 20th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Colin_D wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Colin_D wrote:
The moral is, if you can't control the photographic
situation, then it will control you. All you will get
are snapshots.

The "journalism style" of wedding photography may not
work for you, but it 1) lets the situation control the
photography, and 2) does not produce snapshots.

I'm probably regarded by the younger set as

You might just be regarded by many of us old foggies as
a bit out of touch with reality... ;-)

old-fashioned now, but IMO the traditional photographic
standards are still desirable, even if nobody today
recognizes it as such.

I see nothing wrong with traditional standards, and I
don't believe they are not typically recognized.

I don't think what you stated above fit that description
though...

Yes, the journalism style is used a lot, but I have had
younger people look at some of the more traditional
wedding shots, and they've said something along the
lines of 'I rather wish we had some nice shots like
those'.

They should hire a photographer with demonstrated
capability to produce what they want and provide a very
specific job description to let the photographer know
exactly what that is.

I just don't see the problem...

My personal opinion is - and YMMV - that the journo
style is more a result of using 35mm film cameras, no
available studio, everything either outdoors or flash,

Yeah, folks have been doing that for what, over half a
century now! That is an *old* tradition now...

and - dare I say it - ignorance or downright disdain for
the more timeless, classic style.

I don't agree. How many weddings are held in
photography studios? Why should studio techniques be
the style of choice for a situation that does not match?

That isn't disdain; but, you might just be a little
stubborn, eh? :-)

My grandson got married last year, the pro photog and
his wife were shooting two Dynax film cameras. I had
the job of scanning the negs for my GS to store on his
computer, all nine 36exp films. The photog sold them
the negs for a price, dunno how much.

Most of the shots were pure kitsch, complete crap IMO.
The groom and groomsmen acting out various scenarios,
like one on a cellphone, another two looking at their
watches, the groom scratching his head etc., clearly
meant to be a jibe at the bride being late. Another
with the men running away from the women, having stolen
their posies. Supposed to be funny. Stopped being funny
by the next day. Memorable shots, not many of those.

Did *you* hire the photographer? Did the people who did
the hiring approve of the results, and did they review
the photographer's style before hand?

Regardless, that is *not* a representation of the
journalist style of wedding photography. It sounds more
like an ill thought out studio approach, what with posed
pictures.

When they are looked back on years hence, I think there
will be disappointment. I finished up taking a few
properly posed shots at the reception, cutting the cake
etc. Guess which ones they had blown up and framed.

So just who hired the photographer, and why?

Even at 73, I still get the urge to do a few weddings,
but not 'journo style'.

So?

I doubt that you are in any way definitive of what is
correct photography, or even traditional, whether
wedding or studio or otherwise.

Incidentally, I have family members who do studio
photography and others who do weddings in the journalist
style. We all enjoy comparing notes, and laughing at
how things that are so comfortable for one person makes
another totally off kilter at the very thought of it.

We don't claim that makes anyone wrong though...

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old July 20th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Colin_D
wrote:

I'm probably regarded by the younger set as old-fashioned now, but IMO
the traditional photographic standards are still desirable, even if
nobody today recognizes it as such.

Yes, the journalism style is used a lot, but I have had younger people
look at some of the more traditional wedding shots, and they've said
something along the lines of 'I rather wish we had some nice shots like
those'.

Agreed. Whatever is trendy today will likely not endure into tomorrow.
Old July 20th 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Ron Hunter
wrote:

Just my personal opinion, but using flash, or having someone running
around, getting in the way of the friends and family at a wedding is
totally unacceptable conduct. Most wedding photographers are in the
same category as papparatzi, in my opinion. Some are so rude that they
have been asked to just leave. The rules need to be discussed ahead of
time, along with what is, and is not, to be photographed 'live', and how
many photos are to be taken, and when.
They should also realize that other guests WILL take pictures, and if
they aren't ok with this, then find someone who IS.

Over 20+ years of doing wedding photography, I had numerous occasions
where friends and relatives wanted to take photographs. I had no
problem as long as I got mine first...and they weren't shooting over my
shoulder. Brides & grooms were aware when they booked what the ground
rules were.