Is sending camera to Canon Service for repair worth it?

Old May 12th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Is sending camera to Canon Service for repair worth it?

My Canon S1 IS suddenly quit working and is showing E16 error on the
LCD display.

I found total two messages on the Internet with this error - so, it
doesn't seem to be a common error.

I called Canon support and they are asking me to send it for repair
(approx. $90 and 4 weeks). They also offerred me to upgrade to S2 IS
for $175 + $10. I am really not very keen on upgrading to S2 IS, but
S2 IS is going for $360 elsewhere in the market.

If you were in my place, what would yo do?

- Send it for repairs?
- Throw this camera into trash and buy some new camera all together?
- Upgrade to S2 IS?
- Did I miss any other options?

I really hate the fact that the 4 GB Compact Flash card I bought for
this camera will become more or less useless. (Of course, I can use it
for regular file storage.)

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinions.

Old May 12th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Canon S1 IS suddenly quit working and is showing E16 error on the
LCD display.

I found total two messages on the Internet with this error - so, it
doesn't seem to be a common error.

I called Canon support and they are asking me to send it for repair
(approx. $90 and 4 weeks). They also offerred me to upgrade to S2 IS
for $175 + $10. I am really not very keen on upgrading to S2 IS, but
S2 IS is going for $360 elsewhere in the market.

If you were in my place, what would yo do?

Personally, I'd pay the 90 dollars and never look back. This is a
reasonable price to get another year or three out of a camera you are
basically happy with. Heck, depending on parts availability, maybe you'll
luck out, and they'll upgrade you to S2 IS for free.

I really hate the fact that the 4 GB Compact Flash card I bought for
this camera will become more or less useless. (Of course, I can use it
for regular file storage.)

You can sell it on ebay and get back some of the cost - at least the card
will get some use.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Old May 13th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Thank you all for sharing your opinions.

Heck, depending on parts availability, maybe you'll
luck out, and they'll upgrade you to S2 IS for free.

Mike,

I didn't know Canon would do that. Has that happened before?

On May 12, 8:59 pm, Allen wrote:
I wrote:
route. However, don't even _think_ of paying $360 for a S@ is; the S3 IS
is available for around $300, and the S5 IS will soon be available
(don't know the expected list for it). I'm assuming that you are talking
about US dollars.

Allen,

Sure, if I decide to go with S2 IS, I will certainly have Canon
upgrade it for $185. Yes, all figures are in US$.

Old May 13th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

ups.com...
[...]

I'm sorry, but you have to work it on your own, nobody can step in your
shoes.I'd go for the upgrade though,new is usually considerably better.Do
they offer guarantee for the repair?

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering