Digitizing films?

Old December 30th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tim.....

Default Digitizing films?

Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....

But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
projector!).

She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
(god knows why!).

Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
used to be possible to get them converted to Video
but that technology has passed us by.

TIA

tim

Old December 30th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

It is probably not the right group, but what you will need is a setup which
comprises a first surface mirror, a rear projection screen, a video camera
and means to shield ambient light (like black cloth or carton). A suitable
device is offered by Hama:

http://www.hama.co.uk/portal/article...rch*telescreen

Old December 30th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

tim..... wrote:
Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....

But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
projector!).

She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
(god knows why!).

Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
used to be possible to get them converted to Video
but that technology has passed us by.

TIA

tim

If you can convert them to VHS (by a commercial firm) it is easy to copy VHS
to DVD. There are lots of machines that will do this. Jessops (UK) may be
able to help.

Dennis.

Old December 30th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

tim..... wrote:
Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....

But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
projector!).

She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
(god knows why!).

Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
used to be possible to get them converted to Video
but that technology has passed us by.

TIA

tim

Rec.video.desktop may be a better group.

Several years ago I bought a relatively inexpensive setup at a camera
store. It had a mirror. The mirror was set at 45 degrees to the
projection from the projector. One aims a camcorder at the mirror. I
have done a number of tapes, and it works great. It is easiest with a
MiniDV (digital) camcorder that will connect directly to a PC.

However, you CAN use older analog (VHS or Hi8) cameras. You can even
do it without a computer, with one of the new DVD recorders. You play
back the video in the camcorder with an output to the input of the DVD
recorder. However, many of the cheaper recorders do not make VCDs,
only DVDs. However, the cost of blank DVDs is only pennies more
expensive than blank CDs.

Also, the technology you speak of has not passed us by. Many firms
offer this service. Check your local TV station if no one else in your
area offers it.

Old December 30th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Dennis Pogson wrote:
tim..... wrote:
Not sure if this is the right group for this or not.....

But after the death of our parents my sister has collected
a box of Super 8 cine films of our childhood (plus suitable
projector!).

She wants to digitise these and put them onto CD(s)
(god knows why!).

Does anyone know if this is possible. I know that it
used to be possible to get them converted to Video
but that technology has passed us by.

If you can convert them to VHS (by a commercial firm) it is easy to copy VHS
to DVD. There are lots of machines that will do this. Jessops (UK) may be
able to help.

But converting to VHS is putting them into one very low resolution
format. And you'll lose even more on the conversion to DVD, which itself
isn't terribly high resolution, although it's handy and the one sought
by the OP.

--
john mcwilliams