Photoshop Project

Old October 24th 15, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Photoshop Project

In article , Andreas Skitsnack wrote:

I don't go back and re-edit photos very often, but this photo is one
I've re-edited several times. I use it as an exercise in using the
Photoshop tools, layer masks, and whatever's new in PS.

It's a good exercise since the power lines require quite a bit of
Photoshopping. The woman is from a different shot of the same
scene.

This is my latest effort. I started from scratch with the original
.jpg (top) and produced the bottom version. This was shot back in
2008 in .jpg before I started shooting in RAW.

Did I miss anything?

https://tonycooper.smugmug.com/AUE-P...8-12-02-X3.jpg

http://jonaseklundh.se/files/comp.jpg

Part of lamppost to the left is still seen in the upper part of the building.

Cloud removed from above building, but some form of "bloom" introduced to the
right part that seem out of place

Poster has been cloned, but not brightness-adjusted for the right part of the
building that is recieving slightly less light

Saturation has been unnaturally cranked up on the red sign parts to make them
look almost fluorescent.

The woman is casting no shadow. While it's true that she is standing in the shad
ow, and the light is coming from the left, she is still clearly illuminated by
direct sunlight. Either tone down her brightness or put her in a spot where she
is in the sunlight and thus add a shadow. In fact, her lower feet is right on the
edge of the building, meaning she would be standing pressed up flat to the ticket
window (which it looks more like in your version).

Other than that, it's nicely done. The power lines are gone, and a particularly
good job on removing the car in the lower left corner, and slightly less good job
in adding some added shrubbery to the right part, which looks a bit more "fake"

--
Sandman
Old October 24th 15, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Andreas Skitsnack
wrote:

Sandman:
http://jonaseklundh.se/files/comp.jpg

Part of lamppost to the left is still seen in the upper part of
the building.

I missed that, and the stump at the bottom.

I thought that was intentional, and in spite of the lamp post shadow still be
ing in the stairs, it was at such an angle that it didn't bother me.

Sandman:
Cloud removed from above building, but some form of "bloom"
introduced to the right part that seem out of place

Whole new sky. That's a real cloud on the right. It was easier to
take out the old sky and power lines than to content-aware cover the
lines.

Right

Sandman:
Poster has been cloned, but not brightness-adjusted for the right
part of the building that is recieving slightly less light

Saturation has been unnaturally cranked up on the red sign parts
to make them look almost fluorescent.

Yeah, but I wanted that look. That's how I imagined the color would
have been in 1922 when the theater opened. My choice, but others
may not like it. The only photograph of the theater in that era I
could find is in black and white:

http://www.athensdeland.com/About.html

Indeed, and as you can see, not at all as saturated

Sandman:
The woman is casting no shadow. While it's true that she is
standing in the shad ow, and the light is coming from the left,
she is still clearly illuminated by direct sunlight. Either tone
down her brightness or put her in a spot where she is in the
sunlight and thus add a shadow. In fact, her lower feet is right
on the edge of the building, meaning she would be standing
pressed up flat to the ticket window (which it looks more like in
your version).

She was leaning into the window when I photographed her, so she was
right up to the wall.

I assumed she was from an entirely different scene altogether, not from the
same spot. I actually didn't think this was a ticket window given the original
image and you had put her there to make it seem like it was.

Seeing the original image she is in, it seems clear you should have taken more
of the surrounding structure that she leans against to make her blend in bet
ter, and then brightness-adjust it as a whole. Say, for instance, the entire
middle part between the doors. You already cut and pasted the reflection (and
coned part of it twice) and I suggest that the entire ticket window from the
girl-photo should have been pasted in to the original photo to make her appear
more naturally blended with the wall.

Sandman:
Other than that, it's nicely done. The power lines are gone, and a
particularly good job on removing the car in the lower left
corner, and slightly less good job in adding some added shrubbery
to the right part, which looks a bit more "fake"

As I said, this started as an exercise in using the tools...just
something to practice on.

Indeed, and seems like it was good practice.

--
Sandman