How does it work ?

Old December 30th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Charles Young

Default How does it work ?

At least one of my film SLR cameras have the ability to 'lock-up' the
mirror once the shot is prepared for

Rob in Calgary

I've got a really basic question: Where does the image you get in the LCD
and EVF come from ?
Does it come from the sensor ?

Usually directly from the sensor.

If so, how does the shutter speed works, do they close the shutter, discharge
the sensor, and re-open the sensor for the appropriate time ?

There are no more shutters in many of today's digital camera.

That's not correct, unless you're writing about the absolute bottom of
the range digicam.
All digital cameras with an EVF and almost all with a LCD have a
shutter, it is just open while giving the live preview (the image
displayed on the EVF or LCD) and closes briefly to flush the sensor
before taking the exposure for a still image.
That is what gives the EVF/LCD type digicam a longer shutter lag, even
if they are set to manual focus and exposure modes.

With electronic viewfinders, the sensor is always on. When you push the
shutter button, it saves the image to storage (simplified version).

That may be correct for a movie mode on a digital stills camera, but
not for normal single exposures on most digicams available today.

Old December 30th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Martindale

Robert Charles Young writes:
I do not own a digicam, but am looking - so I do not know the answer to
the question that I want to ask: If a digicam had the option of viewing
by via 'rangefinder', or LED screen, if you turned off the LCD screen,
could you avoid the sensor/screen flushing delay?

I think what you're asking is this: If a digicam has an optical viewfinder
(not a rangefinder, because it doesn't measure distance) and you use
that for aiming, and you turn off the LCD (not LED) live image display,
does the camera shoot faster?

On some Canons, at least, that does indeed seem to be true, particularly
if you're also in manual focus mode.

Dave
Old December 30th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Dave Martindale wrote:
Robert Charles Young writes:
I do not own a digicam, but am looking - so I do not know the answer to
the question that I want to ask: If a digicam had the option of viewing
by via 'rangefinder', or LED screen, if you turned off the LCD screen,
could you avoid the sensor/screen flushing delay?

I think what you're asking is this: If a digicam has an optical viewfinder
(not a rangefinder, because it doesn't measure distance) and you use
that for aiming, and you turn off the LCD (not LED) live image display,
does the camera shoot faster?

On some Canons, at least, that does indeed seem to be true, particularly
if you're also in manual focus mode.

On the other hand, my first digital was (is) a Minolta Z3. This has a
mode in which it shoots 10 shots per second (and it really does, I
tested it). Of course, in a low resolution (presumably bandwidth
limits).