Quantaray lens decent?

Old November 19th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
[email protected]

Default Quantaray lens decent?

Hello,
I have a Nikon D70 that came with the standard kit 18-70mm lens. It
recently took a plunge off my workbench and now I need a new lens. I
thought I'd look at something along the lines of 18-200mm but hesitate
at the cost of purchasing a Nikon lens when I have found a Quantaray
18-200mm for the Nikon DSLR's at half the cost. But, I am not familiar
with Quantaray. Has anyone had any experience with their Digital SLR
lenses? I'd love to hear some comments before I make a purchase.
Thanks.

-Cable

Old November 19th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
RichG

http://groups.google.com/groups?lnk=...en&q=Quantaray

Old November 23rd 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Steve Dell

Wouldn't be my first choice, probably my last.

If you can't afford the Nikon, consider first a Tamron and then a Sigma lens
in the desired range you're looking for.

Steve
ups.com...

Old November 26th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
[email protected]

Just for reference I ended up purchasing a Tamron 18-200mm lens for my
D70. I have had it for 5 days now and have used it a lot. So far so
good. I have been happy with the quality. I paid around $400 for it
while the Nikon equivalent is going for around $750. I feel I made the
right choice. Thanks for the reply's to my original post.

-Cable

Old December 13th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
Tom M

Well, It depends who they bought that particular lens from.

Years ago I needed a cheap 35-105 fro my F3. I bought one from Ritz in
MD (at the time I was near Annapolis). It was a Makina made lens and
was decent once I stopped it down a notch or two.

Not on par with my Nikons but I neede an almost "disposable" lens and
it fit the need.

Ciao,

Tom M