Twilight of the DSLR?

Old October 19th 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Twilight of the DSLR?

On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

I thought that it was common practice to try to protect alternate
spelling and such... You know, like Mercedes and the four point star...
Well the Munichians sort of stole it anyways!

Four point star?

Mercedes registered both three & four point stars in 1909, but the four
point star was never used.

The four point star was protected to avoid confusion with other brands,
but BMW adopted it anyway in a obfuscated way. Chrysler did the right
thing and aded a point so that could put a star ornament (five point!)
on their hoods...

However, in 1981 Chrysler came close with the Plymouth Reliant.
http://www.allpar.com/photos/plymouth/reliant/pentastar-hood-ornament.jpg

...and then there is Lincoln.
http://www.classiquecars.com/65linchoodornament.JPG

One can assume that the folks in Stuttgart had come to the conclusion by
then that there can only be one that's first...
--
teleportation kills
Old October 19th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

[...]

Personally I think Lincoln should have stayed with their "Greyhound"
hood ornament, but then they would be up against the liability issue of
impaled jaywalkers and other assorted pedestrians.
https://db.tt/roeggYQM

Savageduck

Old October 19th 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

[...]

Well it was surely nice of Ford to help Jaguar to rid them self of this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...guar_marque.JP
G#/media/File:The_original_SS_Jaguar_marque.JPG

I can't se Inspector Morse drive around with that on the hood!
--
teleportation kills
Old October 19th 15, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

[...]

YuP! I managed to get a 1951 Mk4, not the SS, also without the leaping cat.
https://db.tt/xQ9ecCi8

Savageduck

Old October 19th 15, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

http://www.allpar.com/photos/plymout...od-ornament.jp

...and then there is Lincoln.
http://www.classiquecars.com/65linchoodornament.JPG

One can assume that the folks in Stuttgart had come to the conclusion by
then that there can only be one that's first...

Personally I think Lincoln should have stayed with their "Greyhound"
hood ornament, but then they would be up against the liability issue of
impaled jaywalkers and other assorted pedestrians.
https://db.tt/roeggYQM

Well it was surely nice of Ford to help Jaguar to rid them self of this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...guar_marque.JP
G#/media/File:The_original_SS_Jaguar_marque.JPG

I can't se Inspector Morse drive around with that on the hood!

YuP! I managed to get a 1951 Mk4, not the SS, also without the leaping cat.
https://db.tt/xQ9ecCi8

This 1947 Mk IV seem to have it:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...tre_(1947)_(80
51567557).jpg#/media/File:Jaguar_Mk_IV_2.5_Litre_(1947)_(8051567557).jp g
--
teleportation kills
Old October 19th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_original_SS_Jaguar_marque.JPG#/media/File:The_original_SS_Jaguar_marque.JPG

can't se Inspector Morse drive around with that on the hood!

YuP! I managed to get a 1951 Mk4, not the SS, also without the leaping cat.
https://db.tt/xQ9ecCi8

This 1947 Mk IV seem to have it:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...1567557).jp g

Jags

through the war years and immediately post war were subject to all
sorts of inconsistencies. They were still hand built, and I guess some
days they had a "Leaping Cat" hood ornament in the parts bin, sometimes
they didn't. There are some cars such as the 1947 Mk. IV you note as
with, and then there were later models both with and without, including
such classics of the late 40's & early 50s as the XK-120 & XK-150,
which had examples with and without.

Savageduck

Old October 19th 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

says...
On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

[...]

I don't really understand what Ford is supposed to have had to do with
it. SS Cars Ltd became Jaguar in 1945. The SS Jaguars were made before
1940 when the company stopped production of cars, presumably due to the
war. When it resumed production after the war it was Jaguar with no SS.

I suspect that android brought Ford into this, because the Lincoln (a
Ford division)”Greyhound” hood ornament is remarkably similar to the
Jaguar “Leaping Cat”. Ford also used the Greyhound on some of its 1930s
roadsters.

Then through the art nouveau years there were many hood ornaments and
mascots which were very similar. The most common were variants of the
R-R “Flying Lady” found on some Packards, some Cadillacs, some Desotos,
some Nashes (very stylized), Auburns, some Hupmobiles, and more.

Savageduck

Old October 20th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-10-19 15:01:32 +0000, android said:

[...]

The early 'Jaguars' were were made by Swallow coach-building using
engines and chassis made by the Standard Motor Company. The SS stood
for 'Standard Swallow'. The name 'Jaguar' only crept in later as the
name for a particular model. The wings behind the SS are, presumably,
swallow wings.

Eric Stevens
Old October 20th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

On 2015-10-15 18:45:47 +0000, George Kerby

said:

On 10/14/15 9:08 AM, in article
2015101407081330545-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

On 2015-10-14 13:22:12 +0000, "PAS" said:

"PeterN" wrote in message

Have you thought about getting a juicer?

We've got one. My problem is that I hate vegetables with the
exception
of the some non-green ones like carrots and corn. I like all
kinds of
fruits but juicing them would give me far too much sugar.

There was a good reason for the Super Bass-O-Matic.
http://www.nbc.com/sites/nbcunbc/fil...50215_2847141_

SNL40__Bass_O_Matic.jpg

That show has absolutely no rel;ationship to the original cast, who
were
EXCEEDINGLY hilarious. Today, they are no more than political
puppet
pawns
of their Network Masters.

Dan Ackroyd was an original cast member, and the Bass-O-Matic sketch
was
developed in the first season.

No Coke, Pepsi,was one of my faves

I only watched SNL sporadically and never saw that skit.
However, it seems I lived a sort of reenactment once.

Long story short, Dad and I were dropping my sister
off at college and we stopped for lunch at a small deli
near campus. We ordered Cokes and the counter guy
went through a whole no Coke, Pepsi routine with all
sorts of other crazy non-options.

We just scratched our heads and thought must be a
college town thing. [Seems our trip may have been
around the time that SNL skit aired.]

The fictional place in that SNL skit is the Olympia cafe. it is based
somehwat on a real place in Chicago, The Billy Goat Tavern.

Now (oh so many years later) I totally get the joke.

Thanks guys for an odd trip down memory lane.

==
Later...
Ron C

Old October 20th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 10/20/2015 12:45 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

snip

I once sat at a table in the Billy Goat with some people including
Mike Royko, but never talked with him. I was too much in awe of him
to enter the conversation. He was with the _Chicago Daily News_ at
the time, and wasn't as well-known then as he was when he wrote for
the _Chicago Sun-Times_, but - still - famous in the newspaper field.

Billy Goat, Billy Goat, Murphy's law.
Mets need two, but the Cubs need four.

--
PeterN