Can I change the dpi?

Old July 9th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
>Andy

Default Can I change the dpi?

Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?
Old July 9th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

Interesting as dpi really means little or nothing except to a printer.

I would suggest making sure the image is at least 600 pixels wide.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomcas

Andy wrote:
Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

Yes. Chose-Image, Resize/Resample, DPI set to 200. If you want an image
600 dots wide just use- set new size, width 600 pixels, preserve aspect
ratio.
Old July 9th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Andy" wrote in message
Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

I don't understand why printers can't simply ask for a straight pixel count;
asking for images this way confuses most people. All they want is an image
that's at least 600 pixels on the long edge.

Mark

Old July 9th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gene Palmiter

That's how we do it...but then...they asked me what we needed. I say at
least 800 pixels on the long side. But, if I know how we will use it I might
ask for more. For what I submit I like 300 ppi...but I don't like
downloading other people's work enough to ask for that much. 300 ppi is a
bit of overkill but sometimes I make them bigger than planned to fill space.
I would be nervous about stretching 200 ppi .

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"Mark B." wrote in message
. ..
.. .

Old July 9th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
milou

"Andy" wrote in message
Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

If you are true in that you want to change, you can change. Do whatever
works for you. I have found this following link to support group useful.
But whatever roads you travel good luck with your journey of life.

Old July 9th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Andy wrote:
Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

I think when the say 'scanned' they mean using a scanner. Local papers
don't normally print in color, so I would scan at 200 dpi gray scale.
I'm sure a phone call would be better than have this group make guesses.
Dave Cohen
Old July 9th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin

Andy wrote:
Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

I use a sony and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to view
them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if so,
how?

Your local paper is a bit unliterate concerning scans.
Scans are in pixels per inch - ppi - not dpi. At least they
aren't expecting scans at 600 ppi, which seems ot be a
common requirement of publishers, and is quite too much for
all but rhe very best printing processes, as in art magazines.
Old July 10th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
>Andy

Default Can I change the dpi? Thank you.

Really helpful answers. Thanks to everyone.