Beseler Enlarger with Kodak Lens

Old July 8th 04, 04:12 PM
David Nebenzahl

Default Beseler Enlarger with Kodak Lens

On 7/7/2004 10:48 AM Nick Zentena spake thus:

ATIPPETT wrote:

I have some old Eastman Kodak enlarging lens. Not sure just what
qualities they have but I would like to try them with my Beseler
enlarger. All of the lens boards I have found are boarded for 39mm these
lens appear to be about 45mm in diameter. How can I adapt these lens for
my enlarger?

Buy a blank board and have it drilled. But a blank board will cost more
then a used lens might. If all you want to do is test the lens maybe make a
board out of cardboard? Or something else cheap.

Not cardboard; try Masonite (or whatever they call it in the UK or elsewhere).
"Hardboard". Easily cut with ordinary, non-rocket-science tools. That's what
all my homemade lensboards for my Beseler (23C) are made from. (Even painted
them Beseler Blue to match.)

--
Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a
really easy way: stop participating in it.

- Noam Chomsky

Old July 8th 04, 08:21 PM
ATIPPETT

Not cardboard; try Masonite (or whatever they call it in the UK or
elsewhere).
"Hardboard". Easily cut with ordinary, non-rocket-science tools. That's what
all my homemade lensboards for my Beseler (23C) are made from.

Not cardboard; try Masonite (or whatever they call it in the UK or
elsewhere).
"Hardboard". Easily cut with ordinary, non-rocket-science tools. That's what
all my homemade lensboards for my Beseler (23C) are made from.
(Even painted
them Beseler Blue to match.)

Thanks that seems like the most workable material.

Old July 9th 04, 02:16 AM
Richard Knoppow

"ATIPPETT" wrote in message
I have some old Eastman Kodak enlarging lens. Not sure

just what qualities
they have but I would like to try them with my Beseler

enlarger. All of the
lens boards I have found are boarded for 39mm these lens

appear to be about
45mm in diameter. How can I adapt these lens for my

enlarger?

Alan Tippett

Which lenses do you have? Do you have the retaining
rings for the back threads?
I don't know Bessler enlargers well having mostly used
other types. For many enlargers or cameras the quick and
dirty way of mounting a lens is to make a cardboard adaptor,
they are surprisingly strong.
Post 1946 Kodak made two clases of enlarging lenses,
Enlarging Ektars and Enlarging Ektanons. Both are good
lenses. The Enlarging Ektars were made for color work and
are very well corrected for color. The 50mm and 75mm lenses
are five element Heliar types, the 100mm is a four element
air spaced Dialyte. The Enlarging Ektanons are not so
perfectly corrected for lateral color but are still very
good lenses. The 10" f/8 Ektanon is the exception, this is a
very high quality lens made for use on the Eastman autofocus
8x10 printer.
Unfortunately, Kodak does not include mounting
information for enlarging lenses in its old lens booklets.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old July 9th 04, 04:40 AM
ATIPPETT

For many enlargers or cameras the quick and
dirty way of mounting a lens is to make a cardboard adaptor,
they are surprisingly strong.
Post 1946 Kodak made two clases of enlarging lenses,
Enlarging Ektars and Enlarging Ektanons. Both are good
lenses. The Enlarging Ektars were made for color work and
are very well corrected for color. The 50mm and 75mm lenses
are five element Heliar types, the 100mm is a four element
air spaced Dialyte. The Enlarging Ektanons are not so
perfectly corrected for lateral color but are still very
good lenses. The 10" f/8 Ektanon is the exception, this is a
very high quality lens made for use on the Eastman autofocus
8x10 printer.
Unfortunately, Kodak does not include mounting
information for enlarging lenses in its old lens booklets.

-
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Thank you for your response as usual it was helpful.

I have solved my problem. I took a piece of masonite and cut a 4"X4" square.
Found the center and drill a 1 3/4" in hole. This works with both my 23C and
45MXT enlargers so I solved that problem.

I only do B&W so color is not a problem for me. The lenses given to me are an
odd lot.
135 mm f 4.5 Extanon
161 mm f 4.5 Anastigmatic
105 mm f 4.5 Anastigmatic
75 mm f 3.5 Anastigmatic
Is anything know about these Anastigmatic lenes?

Alan Tippett