New 20D needs lenses

Old December 26th 04, 05:46 AM
Dale

Default New 20D needs lenses

Santa was very good and brought a 20D. Now the next challenge is what
lenses to buy? My subjects will be the family holiday pictures and this
years Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game (50 yard line seats!). I am so enjoy
Yosemite type scenery.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Old December 26th 04, 06:09 AM
Steve Wolfe

Santa was very good and brought a 20D. Now the next challenge is what
lenses to buy? My subjects will be the family holiday pictures and this
years Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game (50 yard line seats!). I am so enjoy
Yosemite type scenery.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Since you didn't give us a budget, and want to hit the football shots...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=162616&is=USA

Now, back to budgets of mortal proportions. As for family holiday
pictures, I really, really like my Sigma 28-105 f/2.8:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=129503&is=USA

Sharp, good pictures, and the 2.8 f-stop helps both with softening the
background of portraits, and letting in lots of light in indoor settings if
you don't have a good flash. With the 20D, that will come out to the
equivalent of about a 45-170mm. I was worried that I would miss the
wide-angle shots, but I have to say that my Canon 18-55 just sits in the
bag, and is never missed. : )

For the longer shots, I've used a Sigma 70-300 macro-capable lens for just
a few minutes, and found nothing wrong with it upon a superficial inspection
of the shots:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=163657&is=REG

The equivalent on the D20 would be 112-480, which is pretty long. In
macro mode, the minimum focal distance is something like 3 feet (more like
6-10 at max zoom, if I recall), but with an equivalent 480mm focal length,
it doesn't take much to fill the frame.

I thought about the Sigma 18-125 DC lens (made for the APS-C sensor, no
crop factor), but there were a lot of reports of vignetting, and the
smallest aperture is 3.5. If you have a good flash, that shouldn't be a
problem - but if you're only using the flash on the camera, every f-stop
counts.

steve

Old December 26th 04, 09:51 AM
dylan

if you like Canon try...

28-135, 17-40, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8 , 400 f5.6 (or 100-400 which doesn't get
quite as good comments)

Old December 26th 04, 01:09 PM
Nunnya Bizniss

"Dale" wrote in
:

Santa was very good and brought a 20D. Now the next challenge is
what lenses to buy? My subjects will be the family holiday pictures
and this years Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game (50 yard line seats!).
I am so enjoy Yosemite type scenery.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the Canon "L" series 17-40 F4 and it is a wonderful lens. I couldnt
give a higher recommendation. It replaced a Smegma (Sigma) 15-30 that I
owned for 1 week. Pure crap optics on that one. Lens flare, fall-off. Ugh.
never again that brand for me.
Old December 26th 04, 03:52 PM
Musty

"Dale" wrote in message
Santa was very good and brought a 20D. Now the next challenge is what
lenses to buy? My subjects will be the family holiday pictures and this
years Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game (50 yard line seats!). I am so enjoy
Yosemite type scenery.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you considered the EF-S IS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 ?

It has excellent range, the IS is wonderful and the pictures come out very
sharp. It is also lighter than say the 17-40 f/4L. It is built for Canon
20D.

I also recommend the 70-200mm f/4L which is great value under $600. If you
can spend extra $$'s, you can get the IS version which would be great for
the football stuff, but at twice the price.

I have a 20D with the 17-85 EF-S and the 70-200mm f/4L and I am very please
with both.

Thanks
Musty.

Old December 26th 04, 04:11 PM
Chuck

"dylan" a écrit dans le message de
if you like Canon try...

28-135, 17-40, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8 , 400 f5.6 (or 100-400 which doesn't get
quite as good comments)

28-135 USM IS ? That piece of junk ?

But agree on the rest of your list...

Old December 26th 04, 04:13 PM
Chuck

Have you considered the EF-S IS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 ?

anothier piece of crap... avoid that lens at all cost !

Get the 17-40 L or the 24-70 L instead of the toy above

Old December 26th 04, 05:05 PM
Musty

"Chuck" wrote in message

Have you considered the EF-S IS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 ?

anothier piece of crap... avoid that lens at all cost !

Get the 17-40 L or the 24-70 L instead of the toy above

What an insightful analysis "piece of crap". Have you used the 17-85?

There are quite a few users that have both the 17-40 L and the 17-85 and can
attest that the 17-85 takes same quality as the L. Keep in mind that the
17-40L is an "affordable L" being in the $650 range. The EF-S being about
$100 cheaper. What you get with the EF-S ofcourse is the much larger range
and the IS - not to mention the size and weight, making it possibly the
best walk-around lens for the 20D.

Do you have any images to back up your claims? Like I said, there have quite
a few posts on r.p.d from users who own both lenses and "piece of crap" is
not what they are saying. I also own L-glass and can tell you that the
17-85mm is an excellent and versatile performer.

Just another basher...

Any posts from owners of the 17-85mm would be appreciated here. Even more
important, any owners of both lenses (17-40 L and 17-85).

Old December 26th 04, 05:09 PM
Bill P

Dale wrote:
Santa was very good and brought a 20D. Now the next challenge is what
lenses to buy? My subjects will be the family holiday pictures and this
years Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game (50 yard line seats!). I am so enjoy
Yosemite type scenery.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

A lens I use on both a 10D and a 20D is the Canon 28-135 IS. While some
of you dislike it, it gives me generally excellent performance. Any
faults can be easily adjusted for in Photoshop (now using CS). And its
price is excellent. However, for a wider-angle lens, you may want to
consider one of the zooms starting at 17mm (or thereabouts); the Canon
17-40mm gets very high marks, and there are also much cheaper non-Canon
zooms in that range.

Take a look at the reviews on http://www.fredmiranda.com for more info.

Bill P