Is it true RBG is a plot by Bill Gates?

Old December 20th 04, 05:10 AM
RichA

Default Is it true RBG is a plot by Bill Gates?

Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

Old December 20th 04, 05:40 AM
nospam

In article , RichA
wrote:

Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

then that canon rep doesn't know anything about light, color, printing
and photography. i suspect this is not the only area in which he is
ignorant.
Old December 20th 04, 05:53 AM
PC

"RichA" wrote in message
Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

I think you may find there is more 'history' behind RGB than even Bill Gates
would have the cheek to claim.

Try reading this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB especially section 5
which states;

quote
History of RGB color model
The use of the RGB color model as the standard for presentation of color on
the Internet has its roots in the 1953 RCA color-TV standards and in Edwin
Land's use of an RGB standard in the Land / Polaroid camera.

/quote

Your "Canon Rep" is displaying the usual 'Ignorance' displayed by so many
marketing/sales types. If they don't know the answer they make it up rather
than be honest and admit (shock horror) they don't know!

Cheers
Paul.

Old December 20th 04, 06:49 AM
Jeremy Nixon

RichA wrote:

Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

Never, ever, for any reason, under any circumstance, believe anything this
person tells you, or buy anything from him.

--
Jeremy |
Old December 20th 04, 06:50 AM
ZONED!

Why not blame it on the inventor of the color CRT? LOL!
Although I have posted a reply here given to me by a Canon rep, I
generally do not beleive anything someone from Canon tells me. They
have lied to me in the past and they absolutely refuse to divulge what
exactly the "repaired" in parts that I have sent them. When I asked to
speak with the tech that actually worked on my parts they disallow
stating "he does not speak English".

Old December 20th 04, 10:07 AM
Bob Harrington

RichA wrote:
Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

Is this rep's name 'Cliff'' by any chance...?

Gawd... It's bad enough buying ink for the printer - I'd hate to have
to keep refilling the monitor as well! =)

Bob ^,,^

Old December 20th 04, 08:35 PM
Roland Karlsson

RichA wrote in news:0jncs0th5o87ss2k1q93gge2l5hojrukju@
4ax.com:

Some Canon rep remarked that if it
weren't for Bill Gates, we'd have
CMYK camera sensors and monitors to match
CMYK printing. Instead, we have
RGB sensors and monitors and they
are not 100% compatible (without
effort) with how printers work.

RGB is used in monitors and other additive
color systems.

CMY is used in printing and positive see through
pictures and other subtractive color systems. The
K (black) is added for printing because the CMY
does not really work well enough for reflective
systems. Printing on paper is really difficult
stuff. Therefore does higher end ink jet printers
have several colors, sometimes even red.

All this has nothing to do with Eevill Bill.

But - it is true that digital cameras could use either
RGB or CMY. Some very few do use CMY (often with G
added, i.e CMYG). But most do use RGB. No camera suse CMYK
though. But - my guess is that RGBW would be very nice,
or even RWB, where W would be white, i.e. without any filter.

/Roland