How does selenium do it?

Old February 1st 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default How does selenium do it?

Can anyone explain how the same toner can have opposite effects on different
papers? I'm referring on krst's ability to cool off cold tone papers and
warm up warm tone papers while, iirc, helping with the dmax of both.
-Lew

Old February 2nd 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Lew wrote:

Can anyone explain how the same toner can have opposite effects on different
papers? I'm referring on krst's ability to cool off cold tone papers and
warm up warm tone papers while, iirc, helping with the dmax of both.
-Lew

Interesting question. I myself have only
been interested in the color and density
change I know I'll get with certain papers.
So, can't give you an educated reason and
chemists here probably have a better answer.
But selenium works by bonding with the silver
in the prints emulsion. Thus I surmise the
selenium enhances the paper tone. If cold
tone you get more cold tone. If warm tone
you get more warm tone? frankly, I've found
some warm tone effects unpredicatable, but
not with cold tone papers I've used.

Although with Ilford Gallery (when I used to
use it) there would be a consistent color
change from natural green (chlorobromide
emulsion) to neutral regardless of how long
toning was.
Old February 2nd 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:

Lew wrote:

[...]

It has a lot to do with the specific chemistry of the
paper and toner interaction. This can be a result
of how finely the silver is milled that a specific paper
is made from, or the type of paper. Length of time in the
toner, water chemistry (as in ph and mineral content) and toner
dilution- probably infinite variables could be had with non delineated
print making criteria.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old February 2nd 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

G- Blank spake thus:

Lew wrote:

Can anyone explain how the same toner can have opposite effects
on different papers? I'm referring on krst's ability to cool off
cold tone papers and warm up warm tone papers while, iirc,
helping with the dmax of both.

It has a lot to do with the specific chemistry of the
paper and toner interaction. This can be a result
of how finely the silver is milled that a specific paper
is made from, or the type of paper. Length of time in the
toner, water chemistry (as in ph and mineral content) and toner
dilution- probably infinite variables could be had with non delineated
print making criteria.

In other words, "I don't know".

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Old February 2nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

David Nebenzahl wrote:

G- Blank spake thus:

Lew wrote:

Can anyone explain how the same toner can have opposite effects
on different papers? I'm referring on krst's ability to cool off
cold tone papers and warm up warm tone papers while, iirc,
helping with the dmax of both.

It has a lot to do with the specific chemistry of the
paper and toner interaction. This can be a result
of how finely the silver is milled that a specific paper
is made from, or the type of paper. Length of time in the
toner, water chemistry (as in ph and mineral content) and toner
dilution- probably infinite variables could be had with non delineated
print making criteria.

In other words, "I don't know".

A lot like most of your posts...

Old February 2nd 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

....that's what I thought he said, too.

In other words, "I don't know".

Old February 2nd 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Oops! I meant from my neutral tone papers.
t...

Old February 2nd 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
"Lew" wrote:

...that's what I thought he said, too.

In other words, "I don't know".

Ok have it that way- I won't be answering any more questions.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com
Old February 2nd 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

G- Blank spake thus:

Lew wrote:

Can anyone explain how the same toner can have opposite effects
on different papers? I'm referring on krst's ability to cool off
cold tone papers and warm up warm tone papers while, iirc,
helping with the dmax of both.

It has a lot to do with the specific chemistry of the
paper and toner interaction. This can be a result
of how finely the silver is milled that a specific paper
is made from, or the type of paper. Length of time in the
toner, water chemistry (as in ph and mineral content) and toner
dilution- probably infinite variables could be had with non delineated
print making criteria.

In other words, "I don't know".

A lot like most of your posts...

The problem is there is no definable set of circumstances as the
question was asked, quite a few "borderline" "photographers"
notoriously ask these nebulous questions without doing the
math-research-testing themselves and then BITCH because they get a less
than concise answer. I could have flatly answered "NO" there is noway
based on the flawed way you asked the question to define the outcome
but chose to try and get him to think-Oh well I guess somethings
just don't work. I don't typically take the attitude that people owe me
but I will say I have tested a **** load more paper and chemistry
than all but perhaps a few here will ever test. Like in 100's-1000's of
emulsion batches.

FWIW I did give a concise answer given the info he provided.

And as far as David is concerned if he could make a valuable
contribution to this or other ng's it might be worth my time to
unkill file him,..... but it won't happen ;^)

Did you notice how a new trend seems to be creating their "cute"
little political sigs...........

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

greg_____photo(dot)com