Red color cast with Canon 300D

Old October 22nd 04, 07:20 AM
John McWilliams

roland behunin wrote:
"Michiel Visser" wrote in message li.nl...

take the damn camera to the nearest Canon repair place and let them have a
look. It almost certainly won't take "a month".

My experience with repair times is different than yours and I've different
(paid) shoots a week, that's why I'm reluctant to take the camera to
repairs. I hope I'll share your optimism by experience in a very short time
:-)

If you are a professional - never have only just one camera body.

Absolutely.

But, have you tried simply setting the WB manually?

--
John McWilliams

Old October 22nd 04, 07:35 AM

Kibo informs me that "Michiel Visser" stated
that:

[red cast on AWB shots]

Any advice?

That's a really weird problem, because the AWB is calculated in
software, not hardware. If it happened to me, I'd suspect that I'd
messed up one of the user settings for colour balance, or the custom WB
setting. Have you tried resetting everything back to the factory
settings from the main menu? If that doesn't fix your problem, you might
consider re-flashing the ROM, before resorting to taking the camera in
for servicing.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:13 PM

Michiel Visser wrote:
Have you recently changed a light bulb in the room in which you work?

There is no light bulb turned on during the photoshoots. I use
Visatec 800B flash units for lighting.

I've got a pretty good idea why you have the red cast. However, I
don't know why it might have changed recently.

Studio flash units tend to have a colour temperature of about 5500K,
the same as typical daylight. However, on-camera flash units
sometimes have a somewhat higher colour temperature. So, with studio
flash you often get more accurate colour balance by using the daylight
setting.

Andrew.