Research Camera Project

Old June 2nd 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Research Camera Project

Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

Overhauled and modified this big cast aluminum box to shoot 8"x10"
wide-angles of the sky, or anything else at Infinity (@75F). Forgive the
filter - I was using it on a clear, blue-sky day at the time. Have negs, no
scans yet because I'm off the Day Job, no scanner or lab.

Uses a fast Metrogon lens. Why not?

Today I'm finishing the electric shutter which will have four speeds at
first, then later 16 unless I grow more bored than I am at the moment.

*yawn* - really, I'm not accustomed to having time off!

Old June 2nd 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

2 spake thus:

Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

Kewl, tres kewl; but what's up with that weird display page, where you
have scroll the pictures through a small horizontal slit to see them?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order of
use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary and

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old June 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:23:21 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

2 spake thus:

Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

Kewl, tres kewl; but what's up with that weird display page, where you
have scroll the pictures through a small horizontal slit to see them?

Displays OK on Internet Explorer. The slit effect
happens on Firefox. At least over here.

Question to John... taken any pictures with it?

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old June 3rd 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"2" wrote in message
Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

Overhauled and modified this big cast aluminum box to
shoot 8"x10" wide-angles of the sky, or anything else at
Infinity (@75F). Forgive the filter - I was using it on a
clear, blue-sky day at the time. Have negs, no scans yet
because I'm off the Day Job, no scanner or lab.

Uses a fast Metrogon lens. Why not?

Today I'm finishing the electric shutter which will have
four speeds at first, then later 16 unless I grow more
bored than I am at the moment.

*yawn* - really, I'm not accustomed to having time off!

What a fascinating project:-) No problem with the
Metrogon, its actually a very good lens. There were a couple
of versions, this looks like a newer one.
The shutter mechanism is very interesting, where did you
get the idea for it?
I have the same problem someone else mentioned: the
images display OK in IE 7 but not in Firefox (also latest
build).

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old June 3rd 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"2" wrote in message
Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

Overhauled and modified this big cast aluminum box to
shoot 8"x10" wide-angles of the sky, or anything else at
Infinity (@75F). Forgive the filter - I was using it on a
clear, blue-sky day at the time. Have negs, no scans yet
because I'm off the Day Job, no scanner or lab.

Uses a fast Metrogon lens. Why not?

Today I'm finishing the electric shutter which will have
four speeds at first, then later 16 unless I grow more
bored than I am at the moment.

*yawn* - really, I'm not accustomed to having time off!

BTW, what in the world was this casting before you made a
camera of it? Looks like maybe a parking lot arc light?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old June 3rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
ink.net...

"2" wrote in message
Vacation Project

FWIW http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/skc/

The shutter mechanism is very interesting, where did you get the idea
for it?
BTW, what in the world was this casting before you made a camera of it?
Looks like maybe a parking lot arc light?

I must give credit to some unkown engineers. The shutter was pretty much
what you see there. I merely added the external link to allow nonelectric
B-type functioning. By the number of mounting holes in the frame it appears
to have served a number of other configurations.

If you wish to make a shutter like it, it is driven by an early Ledex rotary
solenoid. Ledex has been in the niche for decades, and has a bulletproof
constant-velocity mechanism. See their most-excellent site at:
http://w2s.ledex.com/ledx/ds/lx000/l...sso?pcode=L208

You might recognize the slide concept that goes all the way back to the
pneumatic Scovill Instantane design which is ingeneous in its own right. I'd
like to copy the Scovill, if I can ever get my hands on one IRL.

And the body was a camera body when I got it, or part of one. The corner
(the irregular part on the front corner) is a bit of a mystery - it looks
like the casting was cut and then a piece welded over it from the inside.
That seems quite a bit of bother, so I wonder what was removed or what it
was removed from.

Other information: the shutter aperture is 20mm, the camera weights 20.4
pounds, and it is dead-on infinity using several different thickness brass
shims.

I have the same problem someone else mentioned: the images display OK in
IE 7 but not in Firefox (also latest build).

Bummer. I used in-line frames, apparently improperly. I won't do that again.