Repair or replacement of battery door on Canon PowerShot A80

Old February 12th 05, 07:36 AM
Dr. J

Default Repair or replacement of battery door on Canon PowerShot A80

A small piece of plastic on battery door of my colleague's Canon PowerShot
A80 is broken and it does not close tightly. I volunteered to figure out
cost of replacing the battery door. I don't have the serial number with me
right now to contact Canon USA email support.

Anybody having experience with Canon USA repair policy? Do they charge a
flat fee, or it is treated case by case?

Replacing the battery door seems not to be that difficult, does Canon sell
the parts only so I can replace the door myself?

Thanks

Old February 12th 05, 01:06 PM
Roy

Hi there.

Replacing a battery compartment door is usually very easy, and only takes a
few minutes. If you know what you are doing you do not even need to remove
all the screws from the base, just slacken them off, and perhaps remove the
one or two nearest the hinges. It is unlikely that Canon would supply a
part to a non trade individual. Your nearest repair shop might sell you
one, but would probably charge as much for the part, as they would for
supplying and fitting it. Most of these Doors are cheap, and repairers
often carry stocks, because people snap them off with amazing regularity.

Roy

Old February 12th 05, 11:06 PM
tomcas

Dr. J wrote:
A small piece of plastic on battery door of my colleague's Canon PowerShot
A80 is broken and it does not close tightly. I volunteered to figure out
cost of replacing the battery door. I don't have the serial number with me
right now to contact Canon USA email support.

Anybody having experience with Canon USA repair policy? Do they charge a
flat fee, or it is treated case by case?

Replacing the battery door seems not to be that difficult, does Canon sell
the parts only so I can replace the door myself?

Thanks

It's just a couple of screw, do it yourself.
http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID20255...ery-Cover.aspx