Don't hang your Nikon with one of those silly bottom straps

Old November 21st 12, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Don't hang your Nikon with one of those silly bottom straps

On 2012-11-20 17:08:22 -0800, Rich said:

Robert Coe wrote in
:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 00:29:54 -0600, Rich wrote:
: One of the silliest accessories ever invented. You camera spins
: around like a watch on a chain.
:
: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50315414

I've never used one, but a lot of people say they do. I've never read
or heard of this happening. Is the bottom of a D800 really so flimsy?
You'd think that the tripod socket would be attached to the frame (if
any), just on general principles.

Bob

I don't know how Nikon does it, but some tripod sockets are nothing but
thin stamped steel inserts that are attached to the bottom with two tiny
screws.

I can say that with the MB-D10 battery grip, the tripod socket is
internally supported with a metal plate which runs the entire width of
the battery chamber. After 3+ years of abuse I see no evidence of
deformation.

As far as how the tripod socket is mounted in the D300S camera body
goes, i can only guess that it is tapped into the alloy frame, or on a
mounting plate attached to the frame, and not just attached with two
tiny screws.
I would hope the same applies to the D800.

Savageduck

Old November 21st 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 2012-11-20 09:23:46 -0800, Savageduck

On 2012-11-19 22:29:54 -0800, Rich said:

One of the silliest accessories ever invented. You camera spins around
like a watch on a chain.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50315414

There has to be more to this story. I have been using a BlackRapid
strap since 2009 with a D300+MB-D10 and a D300S+MB-D10. I have never
had this sort of issue. In my case the BlackRapid strap is attached to
the MB-D10 not the camera. However I have no doubt that the D300S
frame, or tripod socket bottom plate, would not be damaged in the way
described above.

As far as being the "One of the silliest accessories ever invented." I
consider it one of the greatest. The weight of a D300S+MB-D10
(probably more weight there than a D600 or D800 without battery grip)
on a standard neck strap is literally "a pain in the neck".
When the camera isn't up at my eye it is at my hip, but I always find
myself holding the grip ready to swing it back into action. For
whatever reason I very seldom let it swing free as I always take into
account the possibility of impact with a stationary object.

The BlackRapid strap has made a day out shooting pleasurable, and I
don't have that ache in my neck and back that was always there when
using a neck strap.

I believe we have at least one other BR strap user in these
photo-groups, PeterN, there are probably others.

...and I still believe the guy with the damaged D800 in the dpforums
story hasn't told all.

I just checked the interior of my MB-D10 and there is a metal plate
supporting the tripod mount. I do not know the type of metal, but I
suspect that it is some sort of steel alloy. The BlackRapid strap has
been in constant use on this D300S + MB-D10 since January 2010. I detect
no distortion of any type.

Here is a quick snapshot (a mite bit fuzzy) of that interior of the
MB-D10, where you can see the mount and reinforcing plate.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...B-interior.JPG

I have pulled the bum out of an F5 which was mounted on a tripod and
broken a strap lug attachment point out of the F4 body (80-200 2.8 attached)

I stopped using battery bases on my D200 - became unreliable as it
distorted from tripod mounting.

Camera bodies ain't made to accommodate all things attached

Old November 21st 12, 05:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2012-11-20 14:21:49 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

On 2012.11.20 13:53 , Chris Malcolm wrote:
I also note the force applied to the camera base by these straps is in
the opposite direction to that applied by the camera sitting on a
tripod. On a tripod the weight of the lens pushes the camera body down
into the front of the baseplate. On a strap the lens weight pulls it
away.

A "bad" (and useful, practical and convenient) practice is to carry a
tripod with the camera and lens attached. Been doing that for over 20
years. In that case the camera body and lens weight are all through the
tripod socket.

I'm betting this guy pranged his camera on something and he isn't
telling .

Ya think!!

That would be hard to do without denting the camera.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2012-11-20 17:08:22 -0800, Rich said:

Robert Coe wrote in
:

[...]

Me too, but I am not taking chances.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 11/20/2012 4:35 PM, me wrote:
On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:23:46 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

I believe we have at least one other BR strap user in these
photo-groups, PeterN, there are probably others.

Yes. But after reading that entire thread, I am reluctant to attach it
to the tripod socket of my D800. Last Sunday, I attached the BR to the
strap lug of the 800, because I forgot to attach the holding screw. My
guess is that since I attached the BR to the loop of the camera strap,
over time the strap will become worn. I am looking for other devices
after reading that thread.

FWIW, I've been using one mostly on my bare D200, but occasionally on
my bare D300 with no such issues. I'm not in love with it as much as
you are as I believe it allows the camera to bounce too much too
easily. This type of loading will cause an amplification of the forces
compared to static loading.But so far the tradeoff in terms of
ease/speed of getting the camera into position to shoot has outweighed
this negative for me with the 18-200mm attached.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I believe we have at least one other BR strap user in these
photo-groups, PeterN, there are probably others.

Yes. But after reading that entire thread, I am reluctant to attach it
to the tripod socket of my D800. Last Sunday, I attached the BR to the
strap lug of the 800, because I forgot to attach the holding screw. My
guess is that since I attached the BR to the loop of the camera strap,
over time the strap will become worn. I am looking for other devices
after reading that thread.

Attaching the BR to the Nikon strap lug is probably going to be even
more risky than using it attached to the tripod mount.

Consider that the strap lug was designed to have the weight distributed
over TWO lugs not one, and it was designed to be stressed in one
direction. It was never intended to have the full weight of the camera
pulling directly against the small thread of the strap lug, which when
used with the standard strap has no pulling or extracting force
applied. All force is perpendicular to the thread, not in line with the
thread. You are likely to cause far more serious damage than by using
the BR as designed.

Look at it yourself and think it through. If you are wary about using
the BR, then revert to the standard strap, don't use a single strap lug
which was never meant to take that sort of load.
I suggest that you remove the BR from the strap lug ASAP!!

Personally I am continuing to use the BR, on my D300S attached to the
tripod mount on the MB-D10.

Savageduck

Old November 21st 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

I had not thought that part through. However, I am looking at
alternatives. There is a setup involving twin holsters, that sit on your
waist. The cameras are also secured with over the shoulder straps.

Peter
Old November 22nd 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:48:53 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

direction. It was never intended to have the full weight of the camera
pulling directly against the small thread of the strap lug, which when
used with the standard strap has no pulling or extracting force
applied. All force is perpendicular to the thread, not in line with the
thread. You are likely to cause far more serious damage than by using
the BR as designed.

Except, pure tension is the most benign loading condition a threaded
fastener will experience.
Old November 22nd 12, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-11-20 14:21:49 -0800, Alan Browne
said:

On 2012.11.20 13:53 , Chris Malcolm wrote:
I also note the force applied to the camera base by these straps is in
the opposite direction to that applied by the camera sitting on a
tripod. On a tripod the weight of the lens pushes the camera body down
into the front of the baseplate. On a strap the lens weight pulls it
away.

A "bad" (and useful, practical and convenient) practice is to carry a
tripod with the camera and lens attached. Been doing that for over 20
years. In that case the camera body and lens weight are all through the
tripod socket.

I'm betting this guy pranged his camera on something and he isn't
telling .

Ya think!!

That would be hard to do without denting the camera.

My cameras are beasts. You would not want to meet one head on.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."