D600 review isn't that great (some aspects)

Old December 2nd 12, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default D600 review isn't that great (some aspects)

On 2/12/2012 12:04 p.m., nospam wrote:
In article , Me
wrote:

One problem with laptops is that since they can't handle the heat, they run
slower than desktops with the same processor. I have a fairly fast duocore
laptop but it's dead in the water compared to my desktops.

maybe yours is like that but that's definitely *not* true for all
laptops.

But when a laptop with new core i5/7 mobile processor gets gunked up
with dust - as they all do,

maybe yours get that way. mine certainly don't.

i recently opened one of my laptops to swap a hard drive and there was
no dust or gunk. it's 4 years old, which is plenty of time for that to
happen.

Oh sorry.
I was assuming that for normal people, and forgot that there are some
perfect people posting to this forum.
Old December 2nd 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 2/12/2012 10:04 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Me
wrote:

One problem with laptops is that since they can't handle the heat, they run
slower than desktops with the same processor. I have a fairly fast duocore
laptop but it's dead in the water compared to my desktops.

maybe yours is like that but that's definitely *not* true for all
laptops.

But when a laptop with new core i5/7 mobile processor gets gunked up
with dust - as they all do,

maybe yours get that way. mine certainly don't.

i recently opened one of my laptops to swap a hard drive and there was
no dust or gunk. it's 4 years old, which is plenty of time for that to
happen.

You can't see where the dust actually collects when you change the HDD.
Old December 2nd 12, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Rob
wrote:

i recently opened one of my laptops to swap a hard drive and there was
no dust or gunk. it's 4 years old, which is plenty of time for that to
happen.

You can't see where the dust actually collects when you change the HDD.

oh yes i can. for my laptop, the top panel (including the keyboard)
comes off and the entire internals are exposed, including the fans. if
there was any dust accumulation, it would be very visible.
Old December 2nd 12, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 2/12/2012 11:36 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Rob
wrote:

i recently opened one of my laptops to swap a hard drive and there was
no dust or gunk. it's 4 years old, which is plenty of time for that to
happen.

You can't see where the dust actually collects when you change the HDD.

oh yes i can. for my laptop, the top panel (including the keyboard)
comes off and the entire internals are exposed, including the fans. if
there was any dust accumulation, it would be very visible.

I haven't found on like that you still cant see inside the fans.
Old December 3rd 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 19:36:33 -0500, nospam wrote:
: In article , Rob
: wrote:
:
: i recently opened one of my laptops to swap a hard drive and there
: was no dust or gunk. it's 4 years old, which is plenty of time for
: that to happen.
:
: You can't see where the dust actually collects when you change the HDD.
:
: oh yes i can. for my laptop, the top panel (including the keyboard)
: comes off and the entire internals are exposed, including the fans. if
: there was any dust accumulation, it would be very visible.

What brand of laptop is that? (So I can remember not to buy it!) I've had a
couple dozen laptops over the years and worked on a great many more, and I
can't remember even one where you had to take off the keyboard to replace the
hard drive. (Memory modules, yes, but not the hard drive.)

Bob
Old December 9th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Me wrote:
On 29/11/2012 10:54 a.m., Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Me wrote:
On 23/11/2012 4:33 a.m., PeterN wrote:

[D800 file size and processing]

I process them easily on a three year old quad core i7, with 8 gig of
RAM. It takes a lot longer for Bridge to assemble the viewing
information, than the time for my D300 files. I anticipate even longer
times when I start shooting 14 bit color depth.

FWIW, this is resource monitor screenshot using the (cheap - probably
about US$6-700 in the US?) laptop with 3612QM cpu, opening a 14 bit
D800E lossless compressed raw file, then rotating (levelling tool), then
applying some colour control points, applying some d-lighting (high
quality), then some USM, then some noise reduction (high quality), then
saving again as an *.nef file and closing Capture NX.
http://i50.tinypic.com/qoxaw2.png

Says little, except that the app makes use of additional CPUs.

True,

Case closed.

but the CPU isn't "maxing out" for any extended period, and
there's the RAM use chart as well. Dynamic CPU clock-speed monitor
widgets don't seem to report ivybridge CPU properly, a basic monitor app
from Intel, shows clock speed jump to about 2.8 GHz for brief instants
when working on the D800 raw files, then drop back to idle at 1.2GHz.
It seems happy to sit at 3GHz for 5 minutes or so while transcoding some
video, but once the cooling system is full of dust over time...

And what do you suppose that tells us, other that your computer
is suboptimal (i.e. slower than it needs be) for the program
in question?

Now, do the same with a D300 or similar file and then we
can compare.

I have a Core 2 duo (T7500) here - it's "adequate" with D300 files.

Let me rephrase that! "Now, do the same with a D300 ON THE
SAME COMPUTER, DAMNIT, and then we can compare."

CPU speed is the "bottleneck", and if that isn't
adequate, more RAM, faster (ie SSD) drive, or physically separate HD for
the NX cache isn't likely to make much difference.

I don't know if CaptureNX can handle a GPU, but that would be
the obvious next step.

I don't know either.

Find it out.

I suppose there are some geek tools used by gamers
etc to monitor GPU, VRAM etc. I think some of the new Macbook pros (and
others?) even have a separate graphics card, but can use the intel
on-chip graphics to save power, and the external GPU kicks in only when
needed.

Google: Nvidia Optimus.

But does the GPU actually assist with raw conversion etc, or assist with
displaying (zooming, viewing multiple layers etc) graphics for which
that "number crunching" has already been done?

That depends on the program.

PeterN (above)reports that "It takes a lot longer for (Adobe) Bridge to
assemble the viewing information, than the time for my D300 files".
I've read similar comments elsewhere, that even with very fast machines,
before D800 files can be (pre)viewed at 100%, there's a couple of
seconds lag. With ViewNX, rendering D800 files is effectively instant -
ie when clicking the image preview to bring up 1:1 pixel view on screen.
I suspect that's an "issue" with Adobe bridge.

You're comparing fresh water fish and sunrays, so that means
nothing.

Meanwhile, I played with a D600 and D800 yesterday (and a Canon 6d).
RichA's bull**** making a big deal about build quality compromise and
ergonomics is of course bull****.

Tell news!

-Wolfgang
Old December 9th 12, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:56:22 +1300, Me wrote:

I don't know if CaptureNX can handle a GPU, but that would be
the obvious next step.

I don't know either. I suppose there are some geek tools used by gamers
etc to monitor GPU, VRAM etc.

You may be interested in
http://manishbansal.wordpress.com/20...x2-run-faster/

Eric Stevens

Is the D600 overpriced? Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 50 October 8th 12 03:37 PM
Nikon D600 a compromise but ok Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 84 September 27th 12 09:31 PM
Nikon D600 Me Digital SLR Cameras 4 September 22nd 12 10:43 AM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 24th 12 07:27 PM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 15th 12 06:52 PM