D600 review isn't that great (some aspects)

Old November 15th 12, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Default D600 review isn't that great (some aspects)

On 2012-11-14 12:37:38 -0800, Me said:

On 15/11/2012 4:16 a.m., PeterN wrote:
On 11/14/2012 1:05 AM, Trevor wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
According to some comparisons I read, the differences between the 600
and
the 800 are not that great. Indeed, because it has less pixels, the
low
light noise level of the 600 is less than the 800.

But not when the D800 image is averaged down to the same number of
pixels!
You simply get a choice with the D800 you don't have with the D600.
Both would more than satisfy most people however.

Yep!
For me that's the tipping point in favor of the 800, plus the fact that
I can be pretty rough on my equipment. And I strongly prefer using the
CF card. (Harder to loose.)

Pity the selling price of the D800 has increased here lately so as to
make
the D600 competitive (or it wouldn't be!) Aided of course by the
fact the
Canon 5D3 was more expensive, allowing Nikon to increase their price
:-(

At PC Expo in NY they were selling the D800 for $2,600, really narrowing
the gap.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD800R.html...ce=rflaid63773

Note

the word, "refurbished". I suspect this means inventory which has had
the focus fixing firmware update.

....which I haven't been following very closely, but my understanding was
that as it was an AF sensor module physical alignment issue, there were
differing opinions on how successful firmware re-calibration was.
Buying a new later serial number "generally regarded as safe" D800 might
be worth the extra few hundred $ for peace of mind.
I might not be the only one thinking this - that $400 discount "refurb"
deal has been on offer from Adorama for a while, so either they've got a
huge pile of D800s to dispose of, or they're not selling very fast.
Meanwhile, there seem to be grey market D600s appearing for sale here
(NZ) at an equivalent price including tax indicating that they're being
procured (in Asia) for well below US MSRP. Perhaps there will be good
discounts on the D600 in the US after Xmas, that also coinciding with
the Canon 6d shipping.
I want either a D600 or D800, I'm a bit ambivalent about which one would
suit my needs better. I want the D800, but I know that I probably don't
need it.
Old November 15th 12, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

Over here the street price on the D800 seems to have gone up by $300-$400,
(about $3,500 USD) allowing the D600 to sell for little less than what the
D800 was selling for originally.
Most other camera's usually go down in price after the initial rush.

Trevor.

Old November 15th 12, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Me" wrote in message
I want the D800, but I know that I probably don't need it.

Why let that stop you! :-)

Trevor.

Old November 16th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:57:43 -0500, PeterN wrote:

I was debating between the D4 and the D800. My final decision was based
on the slightly better color depth of the D800, and for the price
difference I can get some glass. I have my D300 for the times I need
the faster frame rate. I had not really considered the D600, primarily
because I did not want to deal with SD cards, and the 800 has more
rugged construction.

If you were looking at the D4 no wonder you didn't look at the 600!

I didn't like the idea of SD cards either, since I had just bought some big CF
cards, but I figure that's the way the future is headed.

Old November 16th 12, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alexander Arnakis[_2_]

The odds are good that the following things will happen in the next 6
months to a year:

1. The price of the D600 (or equivalent) will come down to the $1,500
range.

2. There will be a fix for the dust problem. Perhaps unannounced by
Nikon.

3. There will be a follow-on FF model with an even smaller form
factor, perhaps at the cost of eliminating some features. (Possibly
eliminating the autofocus motor in the body, a la the D40, or the
video-recording capability, or the 2nd SD card slot.)

Personally, I'm waiting a few months to see what shakes out. What's
clear is that Nikon seems to be committed to the FF format, and that
this is reaching down to "consumer" cameras.

Old November 20th 12, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

Yes you do and don't be afraid to get the 800E
Old November 22nd 12, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

One of my concerns about the D800 was raw file size and dealing with
them on PC.
I've been playing around with D800 raws on a relatively modest core i7
3612QM laptop with 8GB RAM (connected to external monitor). It actually
handles D800 raws much better/faster than my previous C2D machine with
D300 raws, using CaptureNX2. The C2D machine was really state of the
art at the time I bought the D300. More cores plus hyperthreading seems
to suit CaptureNX, 8GB ram seems ample.
I don't want a desktop any more, and did not want to spend the kind of
$$$ than some of the losers on DP review forums insist that you
"absolutely need" to deal with the raw files. It's completely not true
- except perhaps for machine-gunners who batch process files by the
thousand - and video of course.
That's one objection to the D800 - raw file size - that I don't have to
worry about.
Old November 22nd 12, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

I process them easily on a three year old quad core i7, with 8 gig of
RAM. It takes a lot longer for Bridge to assemble the viewing
information, than the time for my D300 files. I anticipate even longer
times when I start shooting 14 bit color depth.

--
Peter

Is the D600 overpriced? Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 50 October 8th 12 03:37 PM
Nikon D600 a compromise but ok Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 84 September 27th 12 09:31 PM
Nikon D600 Me Digital SLR Cameras 4 September 22nd 12 10:43 AM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 24th 12 07:27 PM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 15th 12 06:52 PM