Rokinon Fisheye 8mm for Nikon DSLR etc

Old November 22nd 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

Default Rokinon Fisheye 8mm for Nikon DSLR etc

On 2012-11-20 21:28:09 +0000, me said:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:55:20 -0400, Michael
wrote:

I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm
f/2.8. B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329
with the focus confirm chip.

FYI, it's on sale to 229 unchipped and 249 chipped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html

Note the chip is for autoexposure/WB and focus CONFIRMATION. However,
this still is a manually focused lens.

Saw that in B&H's email. Tempting.
--
Michael

Old November 27th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

wrote:

I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm
f/2.8. B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329
with the focus confirm chip.

FYI, it's on sale to 229 unchipped and 249 chipped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html

Note the chip is for autoexposure/WB and focus CONFIRMATION. However,
this still is a manually focused lens.

Saw that in B&H's email. Tempting.

Now $214 unchipped and $229 chipped, free ground shipping. Just noted
this apparently isn't the same as the $329 lens. The cheaper ones have
a built in petal hood while the more expensive one 's hood is
removable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G%3B886555-REG

Old November 27th 12, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

wrote:

I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm
f/2.8. B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329
with the focus confirm chip.

FYI, it's on sale to 229 unchipped and 249 chipped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html

Note the chip is for autoexposure/WB and focus CONFIRMATION. However,
this still is a manually focused lens.

Saw that in B&H's email. Tempting.

Now $214 unchipped and $229 chipped, free ground shipping. Just noted
this apparently isn't the same as the $329 lens. The cheaper ones have
a built in petal hood while the more expensive one 's hood is
removable.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G%3B886555-REG

The cheaper is the DX lens whereas the other is FX.

They are both 180 degrees wonder what happens when the FX lens goes on
a DX camera. Looks as if they are format specific to obtain the 180
degree angle.
Old November 27th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't believe that to be the case. They are the same diameter. And
form the more expensive listing,

Ultra-wide 180º diagonal field-of-view for APS-C size image
formats--will produce a rounded image that doesn't cover the entire
frame when used with compatible full frame digital cameras or 35mm
film cameras

If you look at the larger images the marking sa fisheye CS and CS-II.
So I gather an updated version.
Old November 27th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:37:57 -0500, me wrote:

I don't believe that to be the case. They are the same diameter. And
form the more expensive listing,

Ultra-wide 180º diagonal field-of-view for APS-C size image
formats--will produce a rounded image that doesn't cover the entire
frame when used with compatible full frame digital cameras or 35mm
film cameras

If you look at the larger images the marking sa fisheye CS and CS-II.
So I gather an updated version.

My bad. Forget the above.
Old November 28th 12, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 28/11/2012 4:40 AM, me wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:37:57 -0500, me wrote:

I don't believe that to be the case. They are the same diameter. And
form the more expensive listing,

Ultra-wide 180º diagonal field-of-view for APS-C size image
formats--will produce a rounded image that doesn't cover the entire
frame when used with compatible full frame digital cameras or 35mm
film cameras

If you look at the larger images the marking sa fisheye CS and CS-II.
So I gather an updated version.

My bad. Forget the above.

I was trying to work that out.

My point was both give 180 degree angle. But if you get 180 on a Dx you
are not going to achieve that on full frame.
Old November 28th 12, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:23:47 +1100, Rob
wrote:

On 28/11/2012 4:40 AM, me wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:37:57 -0500, me wrote:

I don't believe that to be the case. They are the same diameter. And
form the more expensive listing,

Ultra-wide 180º diagonal field-of-view for APS-C size image
formats--will produce a rounded image that doesn't cover the entire
frame when used with compatible full frame digital cameras or 35mm
film cameras

If you look at the larger images the marking sa fisheye CS and CS-II.
So I gather an updated version.

My bad. Forget the above.

I was trying to work that out.

My point was both give 180 degree angle. But if you get 180 on a Dx you
are not going to achieve that on full frame.

My brain is toast from a push getting ready for a conference next
week. It's been several weeks of paper and presentation reviews as
well as reviewing a 300+ page final report. For some reason I couldn't
grasp the differences in wording between the two listings.