Rokinon Fisheye 8mm for Nikon DSLR etc

Old October 24th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Rokinon Fisheye 8mm for Nikon DSLR etc

On 10/24/2012 10:58 AM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

"PeterN" wrote:

I still use some of my old lenses on my D300. Particularly, the 200
Micro, and 50mm f1.4. Bpoth circa 1872, or thereabouts.

You exaggerate: The standard 50/1.4 design only dates back to 1896 or
so. (Really!)

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

OK ya found a typo. G

--
Peter
Old October 25th 12, 09:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Michael wrote:
I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm
f/2.8. B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329
with the focus confirm chip.

Does anyone have any experience with this lens?

My copy in Sony Alpha mount has become one of my frequent carries. I
find it useful both as a fish-eye, and as a way of getting a very wide
view with less fish-eye "distortion" when partially defished. It's
sharper than I expected such a cheap fish eye to be, a bargain in
terms of quality. Plus it uses an unusual projection which compresses
the edges less.

Despite all the claims that with such wide DoF you don't need to
focus, I've found that if you want best detail (for larger than A4
prints or substantial perspective adjustment or defishing) then manual
focus pays off. Note than many copies seem to have rather poorly
adjusted focus scales, e.g. they focus well past infinity and the
numbered distances are ridiculously out. But the focus range is set by
two easily accessible screws if you want to set the infinity stop
exact for your camera.

I wouldn't trust focus confirm with such a wide lens unless you know
that your camera's AF system can handle it reliably. For example my
A550's AF system focuses wide angle lenses rather poorly. It seriously
underestimates focus with all my lenses at 20mm and less. Yet it's
spot on for longer focal lengths right up to the very exacting
500mm. Whereas my A77 focuses spot on down to at least 18mm (haven't
tried the fisheye with it yet).

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 25th 12, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ian

:
[...]
: --
: Chris Malcolm

Hello Chris and Michael.

I agree with Chris. My 8mm is a standard, take anywhere lens and usually
gets used every time I visit somewhere photogenic.

I find that setting the correct focus is easier than setting the correct
exposure. I tend to use spot metering and then may have to take one or two
trial shots (that's okay, I can recycle the spoiled bytes). This is one time
that I miss the additive spot metering of the Canon T90.

I compared my Samyang 8mm with a Canon 10-22mm zoom and they were, with
regard to colour fringing, very similar.

Kindest regards, Ian.

Old November 3rd 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

-Wolfgang
Old November 3rd 12, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

On 3/11/2012 11:30 AM, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

-Wolfgang

I use my fixed aperture lenses on either aperture, speed or manual
settings, but I set the camera with "Non CPU lens data"
Old November 4th 12, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-11-03 00:30:52 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg said:

Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

-Wolfgang

The chip is advertised as being for autofocus, not autoexposure, so I
don't understand how it relates to exposure.
--
Michael

Old November 6th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

On 2012-11-03 00:30:52 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg said:
Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

The chip is advertised as being for autofocus, not autoexposure, so I
don't understand how it relates to exposure.

Tell me: How does the camera get the information of the
aperture of the lens?

-Wolfgang
Old November 9th 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael[_6_]

On 2012-11-03 00:30:52 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg said:
Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

The chip is advertised as being for autofocus, not autoexposure, so I
don't understand how it relates to exposure.

Tell me: How does the camera get the information of the
aperture of the lens?

-Wolfgang

Are we at cross-purposes here? Again: the chip is advertised as being
for autofocus. What does that have to do with autoexposure? I
understand the camera needs to know the maximum aperture through which
it is metering. But this is not what they are advertising. They are
advertising autofocus. How is that related to keying in the maximum
aperture re autoexposure?
--
Michael

Old November 18th 12, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

On 2012-11-03 00:30:52 +0000, Wolfgang Weisselberg said:
Michael wrote:

Some of the reviews imply (and I don't know wny) that the autoexposure
works better with the chip involved. I cannot understand why that
should be, though.

If the camera doesn't know the aperture of the lens, there's
no way it can say "OK, I'm outside in sunshine, based on the
brightness, so I know about how bright it really is, instead
of just having relative brightesses in every metering field.

The chip is advertised as being for autofocus, not autoexposure, so I
don't understand how it relates to exposure.

Tell me: How does the camera get the information of the
aperture of the lens?

Are we at cross-purposes here?

Probably.

Again: the chip is advertised as being
for autofocus. What does that have to do with autoexposure? I
understand the camera needs to know the maximum aperture through which
it is metering.

Is there even a way to make a chip that tells the camera "Yep,
I'm the lenses' chip. AF is fine, here are the lens specific
parameters and here are the parameters specific to *this* copy
of the lens for good AF performance. (And that's assuming screw
drive, not a lens motor. For which you probably can get by
without any chip, at reduced performance and quality.) I have
no idea about the lenses' maximal aperture, tho'!" and have the
camera accept that?

Or is said max aperture coded in how far a part of the bayonet is
protruding (like in Canon's former fully mechanical mount)?

But this is not what they are advertising. They are
advertising autofocus. How is that related to keying in the maximum
aperture re autoexposure?

Same data source.

-Wolfgang
Old November 20th 12, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
me[_5_]

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:55:20 -0400, Michael
wrote:

I am looking into the Rokinon f/3.5 8mm fisheye for my D5000. The B&H
reviews look good and it is much less expensive than Nikon's 10mm
f/2.8. B&H sells it for $299 without the focus confirm chip and $329
with the focus confirm chip.

FYI, it's on sale to 229 unchipped and 249 chipped.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html
Note the chip is for autoexposure/WB and focus CONFIRMATION. However,
this still is a manually focused lens.