[SI] Curves - "The 'Duck Comments"

Old November 21st 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Curves - "The 'Duck Comments"

SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/curve
‘Duck comments:

OK! We had a reasonable turnout for “Curves”. It looks like most of the
usual suspects are represented along with some unfamiliar monikers. I
am also guessing from the camera used, that the first in this batch was
an Alan Browne contribution. There is nothing in the label to ID the
shooter.

Alan Browne (Maybe? Otherwise a potential new Phantom):
NEng-Road-Trip-01:
Nicely balanced exposure and good presentation of curves found in this Sundial.

Stick (If you are a newcomer, welcome aboard):
Curve-01:
Nice curved wall with frieze details and roof tiles. Where is this
building located, or should I say, what is this building?
Curve-02:
Great use of slow capture of fireworks at night, showing the various
ballistic curves.

Tim Conway:
Curves-01:
I like the idea of wind blown “waves in the wheat” so to speak, but the
image doesn’t quite speak to me. I like the rural setting . I like the
concept, but just seems to be missing something.

Bowser:
Kresge Auditorium-01:
Great curved roof. I am assuming that is a copper sheet roof with great
weathered, patina. I love the way the clouds seem to radiate from the
roof, and the way the roof emerges from the shadows. Nice!
Stata Center-02:
Obvious spiral curves on an interesting building, but with this crop it
seems constricted and missing something.
Zakim Underside-03:
Can’t find a curve, create your own. Great idea to use a fish-eye to
bend a few straight lines into curves where they don’t exist. Nice!

Eric Stevens:
Curve-01:
A very Zen piece. I am not sure if this is a piece of civic art, or a
very different birdbath, but I like it in all its simplicity, and the
complexity of its curves.
Curve-02:
Nice use of light filtered through the planking to create the curved
illumination on the mud bank.
Curve-03:
Take a great car, and add light and you will have curves. Take five of
them and you will have infinite curves. I see you might have had some
problematic light for that shot.

Bob Coe:
Curves-01:
Great building and curved roof. However I have some issues with this
shot. The shadows on the right and foreground are too controlling in
this image. Then there is the distraction of the orange cones and
barrier chain. I would have preferred to see a crop showing a portion
of the curved roof and the glass facing, cutting out the doors, and the
building to the left. This would leave you with sky, roof, eave, &
glass facing. Less is more.
Curves-02:
That barrel vault has such a Victorian feel to it. All part of the
character of older cities.
Curves-03:
I would have preferred to have seen more of the foot bridge than the
path leading to it. I feel that the better capture would have been from
the grass on the left so the arch of the bridge is emphasized.

Martha Coe
Curves-01:
Nice forest path, but the subtlety of the curve shown on the bridge
rail is perhaps a bit too subtle.
Curves-02:
Nice still life with curves a plenty.
Curves-03:
Another nice still life with complex curves on the avo & pears and once
you add the plate and bowl they are undeniable. I might have made less
of the shot from above and more of an oblique table top shot, otherwise
a good shot.

Tony Cooper:
Curves-01:
Nice one! I like the curves of the dome frame converging at the “iris”.
Then there is the curved “barrel” wall of the building on the right
bringing it all together. I like this shot.
Curves-02:
Curves by reflection and distortion. Good capture and nice shot.
Curves -03:
The curves in the stained glass window are a nice idea, but there is
something not quite right, especially when unfairly compared with your
first two shots.

ClearyC:
Curves-01:
Nice capture of that curl. The entire sense of energy and action is
right there. Good work.

Savageduck (yours truly):
I got very disappointed with my search for architectural and other
curves, so I found myself back in the world of automotive curves.
Curves-01:
Curves embodied on a 1952 Mercedes CL220.
Curves-02:
The classic arch of a Bugatti radiator.
Curves-03:
The radical curve as demonstrated by Ferrari in 1959.

KPet
Curves-01:
Statuary curves. A nice weathered piece.
Curves-02:
Now this is interesting in so many ways. The twisted “sails” and
related curves are fascinating.. I am left wondering; Where is this?
What is this? Is it work of art, a tent shelter or marquee of some sort?
Curves-03:
Here is one I am familiar with, the tri-point star contained within the
curved ring with the curves repeated as a shadow.

Jim:
Curves-01:
Nice structured curves. Why do they remind me of a portion of
intersecting Olympic rings?

Rob:
Curves-01:
A tuba or French horn, curves abound. Nice capture of the metallic
surfaces without blowing highlights.

FrankEss:
Curves-01:
Well the tree is there with the appropriate curves, the shot just
doesn’t strike a nerve for me. I am not sure if it is because the tree
is not in sharp focus, or that it is just not interesting..
Curves-02:
Much better. I like the wispy curves contrasting with the blue. They
look more like disrupted contrails than clouds. Nice shot.
Curves-03:
Interesting and mysterious. A tarp covered boat and trailer, with an
interesting use for a road cone as a trailer hitch condom.

Peter Newman:
Curves-01:
That is a, …um, “curvey” girl, not that there is a shortage of curves
at that sort of event. The track curves, and there all the other curvey
distractions. I would have gone with a higher shutter speed, but I
understand that this must have been one of the first outings for the
D800.
Curves-02:
The Newmanesque image typified. A very interesting rendition, I just
fail to find either the car or the boat, and I suspect the curve is
induced by filter.
Curves-03:
Simple modern. I like the simplicity of this shot with the color
contrast of the yellow against the various shades of grey.

As always, thanks to all for playing.

Savageduck

Old November 21st 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
PeterN

On 11/21/2012 2:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/curve
‘Duck comments:

Peter Newman:
Curves-01:
That is a, …um, “curvey” girl, not that there is a shortage of curves at
that sort of event. The track curves, and there all the other curvey
distractions. I would have gone with a higher shutter speed, but I
understand that this must have been one of the first outings for the D800.

I would have been in trouble with that shot if the mandate was
curvacious. Yes I should have bumped the ISO.

Curves-02:
The Newmanesque image typified. A very interesting rendition, I just
fail to find either the car or the boat, and I suspect the curve is
induced by filter.

Nope. The main curves were caused by rotating the camera. Note the
exposure. It was hand held. I did use a slight application of the spiral
filter to curve the curves. And, as I explained previously, I did a
color reversal on part of the image.

Curves-03:
Simple modern. I like the simplicity of this shot with the color
contrast of the yellow against the various shades of grey.

Thank you. I should tone down part of the background on the left.

--
Peter
Old November 21st 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-11-21 13:32:55 -0800, PeterN said:

On 11/21/2012 2:58 PM, Savageduck wrote:
SI Mandate: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/curve
‘Duck comments:

Peter Newman:
Curves-01:
That is a, …um, “curvey” girl, not that there is a shortage of curves at
that sort of event. The track curves, and there all the other curvey
distractions. I would have gone with a higher shutter speed, but I
understand that this must have been one of the first outings for the D800.

I would have been in trouble with that shot if the mandate was
curvacious. Yes I should have bumped the ISO.

Not so much ISO as shutter speed. You are already at 6400. just shoot
shutter priority at say 1/250-1/500 instead of the 1/100 of this shot.
You might have opened up a stop or two, but I believe you would have
had a "cleaner" image of the maiden on her knees.

Curves-02:
The Newmanesque image typified. A very interesting rendition, I just
fail to find either the car or the boat, and I suspect the curve is
induced by filter.

Nope. The main curves were caused by rotating the camera. Note the
exposure. It was hand held. I did use a slight application of the
spiral filter to curve the curves. And, as I explained previously, I
did a color reversal on part of the image.

Ah! Ha!

Old November 21st 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography
PeterN

On 11/21/2012 4:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-11-21 13:32:55 -0800, PeterN said:

[...]

I was also playing with the 28 - 300 lens with a 1.4 tele-converter. If
I had used a sharper lens, such as my 70-200, I would have had a better
image. But that's one of the purposes of the exercise; to learn
capabilities of equipment, and how to work around them.