If someone offered you a performance jump for 10%...

Old June 12th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rich[_6_]

Default If someone offered you a performance jump for 10%...

....you'd probably take it. Therefore, the D800E should eventually outsell
the D800 leading to a paradigm change in the use of the AA filter in
cameras. It's not the increase in resolution, it's that the camera just
makes lens output look better.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06...dded-to-Nikon-
D800-review

Old June 12th 12, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrew Haley

Bruce wrote:

What is clear, both from the DPReview article and my own more limited
findings, that the D800 has a very weak AA filter and differences
between images from it and from the D800E are small.

In conclusion, if there is a "performance jump" from the D800 to the
D800E it is so extremely small as to be insignificant. With a little
sharpening in PP the D800E's advantage evaporates.

Yes. The best analysis I've found is here, complete with MTF curves:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...opic=65927.140

In particular:

http://bobtothe3rd.smugmug.com/D800-...Wolf-D800E.jpg
http://bobtothe3rd.smugmug.com/D800-...-Wolf-D800.jpg

Andrew.
Old June 13th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:36:53 -0500, Rich wrote:

...you'd probably take it. Therefore, the D800E should eventually outsell
the D800 leading to a paradigm change in the use of the AA filter in
cameras. It's not the increase in resolution, it's that the camera just
makes lens output look better.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/06...dded-to-Nikon-
D800-review

I wouldn't jump at 10% if it's going to cost me $400... if I have to I'll buy
the standard 800.

Actually I'm waiting to see if Nikon is going to bring out another FF model, I
want FF but I don't need the 36m pixel high performance of the 800.

I had a 700 but sold it to a photographer in my family who needed it. I might
even buy another 700 from the used market when the 800 takes hold. I like the
wide angle results from FF.