Year Later, CHDK coming SOON for Canon Ultra-Zoom SX120. - Motion Detection, Remote Shutter, Time Lapse, etc

Old September 14th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Crash!

Default Year Later, CHDK coming SOON for Canon Ultra-Zoom SX120. - Motion Detection, Remote Shutter, Time Lapse, etc

The Canon PowerShot SX120 IS 10X zoom was released in London, UK
19th August 2009. [today, rollback under $199 walmart,]

A year later I was disapointed the CHDK home page made no
mention of it on its Supported Cameras list. So for reasons
I've mentioned elsewhere (ISO 1600 photo qual) I was ready
to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 12X zoom, also about $200.
(In fact, I decided that before I ever heard of CHDK,
but then I checked it out.)

I was bummed, cuz I really wanted a Remote (wireless) shutter,
the Motion Detection shutter, and perhaps the Time Lapse movie
capibilities of CHDK in my new camera!

But I did a last google and discovered that CHDK
for SX120 devolopment is coming along nicely.

In the CHDK development forum for SX120
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php...,4284.390.html
I saw quotes like this:

============start quotes:
" I haven't tested SX120 CHDK exhaustively, but are there any
open issues? I haven't found any bugs, maybe apart from the
squished logo aspect ratio..."

" CHDK for SX120 on: 14 / August / 2010,
Thanks Whin. I did compile it OK and CHDK is running fine."

"on: 15 / August / 2010, I successfully installed the
sx120is-100b-0.9.9-912-full version of chdk on my camera a couple
of days ago and without any eggageration, it's the nicest thing
to expand the camera's possibilities into the RAW format. Still,
I had a problem of generating the badpixel.bin file. Maybe, you
need a special sequence of commands? Instead, I generated one
with an older version of chdk and just put it into the chdk
folder. Everything works perfectly. I'm eagerly waiting for the
release of the finalised chdk! Your work is really perfect!"

"fe5o thanks, this works, now I can do timelapses Laugh Out Loud
THANK YOU Big Grin"

" CHDK for SX120
on: 08 / September / 2010,
Quote from: pwag on 07 / September / 2010,
I know this is still in beta, .....
Is this "mostly" ready to install? and what works and what
doesn't? ----------
I won't say it is bug free, but I will say that I have been
using it for about 3 months and I am thrilled with it, and have
no issues that I did not cause. I would suggest giving it a try,
it is not like you are risking your camera, it is just a few
files on the flash card. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!!!"

"on: 10 / September / 2010,
Quote from: pioto on 10 / September / 2010,
.... would someone mind summarizing where to grab current builds
of this on the wiki?

Try the following link:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,5026.0.html "

=======================end quotes.

My wild quess is it might be relased by Xmas!
Anybody else care to venture a guess?
That cinches it. I'm gunna buy a Canon!

---------------------NOTES:

Canon PowerShot SX120 IS
London, UK 19th August 2009: Canon today announces the PowerShot
SX120 IS
10 megapixels, 10X, 2 AA alkaline batteries, best photos, no
viewfinder
[nope, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 12X prolly better at ISO 1600 &
macro colorwise. see: 2 Cameras ISO 1600 b.bmp]
CNET:3.5 stars, $199 walmart, manual and semimanual controls
OfficeMax - $229.99 walmart $179.00: Rollback .
8 Gig $15.54 walmart
Dimensions (WHD) 4.4 x 2.8 x 1.8 inches
3" Display screen Weight (with battery and media) 10.4
ounces
shot-to-shot times slow at 6.1 w flash
shutter lag 0.7 second, are typical.
ISO 1600 photos are usable.
some barrel distortion typical of megazoom cameras, magenta and
purple fringing. Capable of taking some sharp shots, which is
atypical of megazoom cameras. At 10X the image stabilization does
an excellent job.
Movie clips • 640 x 480 @ 30fps • 320 x 240 @ 30fps
Maximum clip length Up to 4GB or 1 hour
Movie File formats • • Movie: AVI [Motion JPEG compression +
WAVE (monaural)]

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1
CNET editors' rating: 3.5 stars Very good $200 $187 at
Amazon. (never was at walmart)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 10MP Digital Camera with 12x Wide
Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD
Amazon: 4.3 out of 5 stars (131 customer reviews)
10 megapixels, 12x, Lithium ion , no viewfinder
2.4 inches wide by 4.1 inches high by 1.3 inches deep Weight
(with battery and media) 7.7 ounces
Shot-to-shot times are 2.8 seconds with flash. The bad news
is shutter lag. In bright conditions = 0.9 second; most
point-and-shoot cameras come in at roughly half (0.5) that time
in good lighting. In more challenging lighting the ZS1 takes
1.1 seconds, which is a more typical result for its class, but
still high.
Photo quality is very good for its class. Things that megazoom
photos typically exhibit--softness, barrel distortion, purple
fringing--didn't seem to trouble the ZS1.
Is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 and DMC-TZ6 the same camera?
Prolly.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK
CHDK - Unleash the POWER in your Canon PowerShot!
What is CHDK? * Canon Hack Development Kit;
Features:
* Professional control - RAW files, bracketing, full manual
control over exposure, Zebra-Mode, Live histogram, Grids, etc.
* Motion detection - Trigger exposure in response to motion,
fast enough to catch lightning.
* USB remote - Simple DIY remote allows you to remotely
trigger the shutter (wireless or cable).
* Scripting - Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic
and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced
bracketing, and much more.
* More - read the Manual & explore this wiki.

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Old September 14th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:08:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

A year later I was disapointed the CHDK home page made no
mention of it on its Supported Cameras list. So for reasons
I've mentioned elsewhere (ISO 1600 photo qual) I was ready
to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 12X zoom, also about $200.
(In fact, I decided that before I ever heard of CHDK,
but then I checked it out.)

Good for you! The last thing that the CHDK project needs is some ******
like you associated with it.

LOL!

Old September 14th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/14/2010 2:20 PM, ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:08:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

The Canon PowerShot SX120 IS 10X zoom was released in London, UK 19th
August 2009. [today, rollback under $199 walmart,]

A year later I was disapointed the CHDK home page made no mention of it
on its Supported Cameras list. So for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere
(ISO 1600 photo qual) I was ready to buy the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 12X
zoom, also about $200. (In fact, I decided that before I ever heard of
CHDK, but then I checked it out.)

I'm continually amazed by folks who buy cameras that need third party
firmware to operate properly.

I am constantly amazed by people who think that the existence of an
extended operating system for a particular line of cameras means that
they do not "operate properly" without it.

It's like arguing that Apple computers don't "operate properly" because
you can put Windows on them.

Old September 14th 10, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:55:48 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

On 9/14/2010 2:20 PM, ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:08:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

The Canon PowerShot SX120 IS 10X zoom was released in London, UK 19th
August 2009. [today, rollback under $199 walmart,]

A year later I was disapointed the CHDK home page made no mention of
it on its Supported Cameras list. So for reasons I've mentioned
elsewhere (ISO 1600 photo qual) I was ready to buy the Panasonic Lumix
DMC-ZS1 12X zoom, also about $200. (In fact, I decided that before I
ever heard of CHDK, but then I checked it out.)

I'm continually amazed by folks who buy cameras that need third party
firmware to operate properly.

I am constantly amazed by people who think that the existence of an
extended operating system for a particular line of cameras means that
they do not "operate properly" without it.

The OP obviously didn't think his operated properly - he says he NEEDS
3th party software to do certain functions. Would have made more sense to
me to find a camera that did it in the first place!

It's like arguing that Apple computers don't "operate properly" because
you can put Windows on them.

Can't comment on the apples, because I've never had one - but I know for
a fact that the MS computers don't operate properly - else they would not
need layers of 3rd party software to make them 'safe'.
Old September 14th 10, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/14/2010 2:20 PM, ray wrote:
[...]

Please identify a camera that does everything that an SX120 with CHDK
does for the same price as an SX120 with CHDK.

It's like arguing that Apple computers don't "operate properly" because
you can put Windows on them.

Can't comment on the apples, because I've never had one - but I know for
a fact that the MS computers don't operate properly - else they would not
need layers of 3rd party software to make them 'safe'.

Pick any OS--by your reasoning the existence of any other OS that runs
on the same hardware is evidence that whatever OS you are using "doesn't
operate properly".

Old September 14th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/14/2010 2:20 PM, ray wrote:
[...]

So, what part of that do you have a problem with? I could easily make an
argument that that is the case. Compare the hardware advancements over
the last 20 years with the OS advances - haven't come nearly as far.

I note that you, being unable to identify a camera that does everything
that an SX120 with CHDK does for the same price as an SX120 with CHDK,
have chosen instead to attempt to divert the discussion to operating
systems.

So, can you identify such a camera?
Old September 14th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On 9/14/2010 2:20 PM, ray wrote:
[...]

No, not really, I simply answered your uninformed comment. I've been a
computer professional for over 30 years and feel quite qualified to
comment on that.

So, can you identify such a camera?

'google' is your friend.

Old September 15th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:08:05 -0700, Crash! wrote:

[snip 8 lines of relevant context]

I'm continually amazed by folks who buy cameras that need third party
firmware to operate properly.

[snip 126 lines or irrelevant non-context!]

I'm continually amazed by folks who haven't even learned to
properly reply to a posting[0], yet believe their inane world
view[1] merits reading over all the crap they leave in their
posting.

-Wolfgang

[0] You quote enough for context, not the whole posting, unless
the whole posting is absolutely necessary for context.
It certainly isn't in this case.

[1] The camera operates properly with the firmware supplied, as
proven by it following the description inside the fine manual.
Old September 15th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

On 9/14/2010 5:06 PM, ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:55:45 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

[snip 34 lines]

Pick any OS--by your reasoning the existence of any other OS that runs
on the same hardware is evidence that whatever OS you are using
"doesn't operate properly".

So, what part of that do you have a problem with? I could easily make
an argument that that is the case. Compare the hardware advancements
over the last 20 years with the OS advances - haven't come nearly as
far.

I could easily make the argument that the fact that other
people exist makes you malfunctioning. Compare the advances of
communication networks over the last 20 years to the advances of
your communication ...

I note that you, being unable to identify a camera that does everything
that an SX120 with CHDK does for the same price as an SX120 with CHDK,
have chosen instead to attempt to divert the discussion to operating
systems.

No, not really, I simply answered your uninformed comment.

You choose to make a shallow remark to hide that there is no
camera equal to an SX120 with CHDK which does not need 3rd party
software to archive all features at a similar price point.

I've been a
computer professional for over 30 years and feel quite qualified to
comment on that.

I've been a human being for over 30 years and feel quite qualified
to comment on that.

So, can you identify such a camera?

'google' is your friend.

It tells me there is no such camera.