Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM

Old September 12th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM

On 2010-09-12 07:54:55 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

On 2010-09-10 07:56:15 -0700, "Peter"
said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Thought that fire was near you. Glad to see it wasn't

If you were refering to the San Bruno fire, it was probably closer to
Paul Furman than me. I just got back from Sacramento. Visited the Cal
Railroad Museum on Friday, and Then the California Capitol AirShow at
Mather AFB. They managed to get some of the last flying P-38's
together.
I couldn't resist.

A couple of my captures there.
http://snipr.com/12so9q-xfa
http://snipr.com/12so7e-f4c

Great ones but you should do something about the butt in the
background of Honey Bunny.

Yup! Let me work on that.

Be more fun to work on Honey Bunny.

My youthful fantasies involved owning a P-38 and a P-51D or H.

The honeys were not all fantasy...

When my father got back home after the war, he says they were offered
P-38's destined for scrap for a $1000. That price included a crate of
parts for the superchargers, and the fuel to fly it off based. As he
stayed in the service until 1947 he had no idea what he would do with
it, but worse, he had no idea of what it would be worth today.

As he says today, that could have been his pension.
Dad in P-38 in 1944 in New Guinea.
http://snipr.com/116ytf-jeu

Savageduck

Old September 12th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

When my father got back home after the war, he says they were offered
P-38's destined for scrap for a $1000. That price included a crate of
parts for the superchargers, and the fuel to fly it off based. As he
stayed in the service until 1947 he had no idea what he would do with it,
but worse, he had no idea of what it would be worth today.

If enough people thought it would have today's value, it probably would not
have.

--
Peter

Old September 12th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ofnuts

On 2010-09-10 07:56:15 -0700, "Peter"
said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Thought that fire was near you. Glad to see it wasn't

If you were refering to the San Bruno fire, it was probably closer to
Paul Furman than me. I just got back from Sacramento. Visited the Cal
Railroad Museum on Friday, and Then the California Capitol AirShow at
Mather AFB. They managed to get some of the last flying P-38's together.
I couldn't resist.

A couple of my captures there.
http://snipr.com/12so9q-xfa
http://snipr.com/12so7e-f4c

Great ones but you should do something about the butt in the
background of Honey Bunny.

OK!
The "de-butted" version;
http://snipr.com/12uxyk-nxb

Much better. Now I can concentrate on the nose-art:-)

--
Bertrand
Old September 12th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 9/12/2010 12:15 PM, Peter wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote in message

When my father got back home after the war, he says they were offered
P-38's destined for scrap for a $1000. That price included a crate of
parts for the superchargers, and the fuel to fly it off based. As he
stayed in the service until 1947 he had no idea what he would do with
it, but worse, he had no idea of what it would be worth today.

If enough people thought it would have today's value, it probably would
not have.

Had a professor who took them up on that deal with a P-51. Flew it
until something major broke and then sold it for several times what he
had paid.

Old September 12th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

On 2010-09-10 07:56:15 -0700, "Peter" said:

"Savageduck" wrote in message

Thought that fire was near you. Glad to see it wasn't

If you were refering to the San Bruno fire, it was probably closer to
Paul Furman than me. I just got back from Sacramento. Visited the Cal
Railroad Museum on Friday, and Then the California Capitol AirShow at
Mather AFB. They managed to get some of the last flying P-38's together.
I couldn't resist.

A couple of my captures there.
http://snipr.com/12so9q-xfa
http://snipr.com/12so7e-f4c

When I was a teenager during WW II the P38 was my favorite airplane--not
to be confused with any other. Thanks for the memories, as Bob Hope was
saying at that time.
Allen
Old September 12th 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-12 12:32:08 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

On 9/12/2010 12:15 PM, Peter wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote in message

When my father got back home after the war, he says they were offered
P-38's destined for scrap for a $1000. That price included a crate of
parts for the superchargers, and the fuel to fly it off based. As he
stayed in the service until 1947 he had no idea what he would do with
it, but worse, he had no idea of what it would be worth today.

If enough people thought it would have today's value, it probably would
not have.

Had a professor who took them up on that deal with a P-51. Flew it
until something major broke and then sold it for several times what he
had paid.

I think that was one of my father's secret regrets. He flew P-51's
after the War. The P-38's with the twin Turbo-supercharged Allison's
was deemed too maintenaince intensive to keep active, so they were
doomed. Even today his truly soft spot is for the P-38. As a captain he
was making somewhere around $400/month + flight pay, back then, and his
first expense was buying a new Hudson.
Spending a $1000 + everything else, when he was still being paid to fly
seemed silly to him at the time. He separated from the USAAF in 1947
before the creation of the Airforce and went on to other things.
With the squadron in New Guinea;
http://snipr.com/12wjij-sql

Savageduck

Old September 17th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-12 12:32:08 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

[...]

Sounds like he was quite a man. You probably miss him.

--
Peter

Old September 17th 10, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-09-12 12:32:08 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

[...]

He is still doing just fine at 87, with a 75 year old girl friend. The dog!
http://snipr.com/13rt9r-pnc

Savageduck

Old September 17th 10, 12:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Peter[_7_]

On 2010-09-12 12:32:08 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

[...]

Glad to hear that. He looks like a guy who really enjoys life.

I had a great uncle who lived to 112. At the time of his death his youngest
child was 37.

--
Peter

Old September 17th 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Superzooms Still Win

On 2010-09-12 12:32:08 -0700, "J. Clarke" said:

[...]

Why don't you two get a room. There might even be one called
alt.thread-hijacking.off-topic.cyber-****-buddy.trolls.

You hopelessly pathetic lying slanderous and libelous ****s.